Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you should have told the car manufacturers to produce cars that get 40+mpg and the technology needed for that. Also told the oil companies how to extract oil from oil shale using fracking and horizontal drilling. Could have made a mint licensing all of that technology.

Yeah, well for all the fracking, we STILL don't have cheap gasoline. And, it's probably the number one reason the economy never gets going. By the time everyone with their service jobs gets done filling their tank to go to work, there's little left to eat on, let alone buy anything. The permission granted to export our finished products as fast as they can be produced (gee, we don't hear about refinery breakdowns anymore, surprise surprise) at the expense of high gasoline prices here in the states would be labeled criminal under Bush. Now? Exporting improves our balance of trade. I also notice we don't publish Exxon/Mobil quarterly profits anymore? Anyone here what that number might have been for the last "reported" quarter?

Last edited:
Well, if you'd get off your butt and do for yourself instead of asking everyone else to enlighten you you'd know both exxon and mobile reported lower quarterly profits on Jan. 30, 2014!!!!

I would agree with Loyd. Spent less time researching Exxon's quarterly reports than reading your latest post Concours. All I did was Google "Exxon Mobil quarterly report" and Exxon Mobil's website was the first result.

How many less jobs would the US economy have if we weren't selling refined petroleum products to other countries?

And how good would the economy be if we didn't graduate a bunch of kids from college who are unemployable and deeply in debt so that they cannot buy a house or new cars....Last number published is that in the past few years the real estate market did NOT do many billions in business because of this. This keeps down construction jobs, manufacturing jobs, shipping jobs, etc. Probably has a far greater effect on the economy than gas prices.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
And how good would the economy be if we didn't graduate a bunch of kids from college who are unemployable and deeply in debt so that they cannot buy a house or new cars....Last number published is that in the past few years the real estate market did NOT do many billions in business because of this. This keeps down construction jobs, manufacturing jobs, shipping jobs, etc. Probably has a far greater effect on the economy than gas prices.

why are educated people "unemployable"?

Originally Posted By: Concours14
Yeah, well for all the fracking, we STILL don't have cheap gasoline. And, it's probably the number one reason the economy never gets going. By the time everyone with their service jobs gets done filling their tank to go to work, there's little left to eat on, let alone buy anything. The permission granted to export our finished products as fast as they can be produced (gee, we don't hear about refinery breakdowns anymore, surprise surprise) at the expense of high gasoline prices here in the states would be labeled criminal under Bush. Now? Exporting improves our balance of trade. I also notice we don't publish Exxon/Mobil quarterly profits anymore? Anyone here what that number might have been for the last "reported" quarter?

Gas is as cheap as it was 40 years ago, when inflation/cost of living is taken into account.

The real issue with the cost of fuel is that people (You included) do not think of it as a commodity......Your concept is more that it is a tax. You think of motor oil as a commodity, but gasoline just disappears into your tank, and allows you to go XX miles.

The fancy methods for extracting more oil out of marginal fields only works once the price gets high enough for it to be worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

There are only so many liberal arts jobs available. We already have too many lawyers. Who wants to be a Doctor anymore?....the government tells you how much you can charge and the malpractice insurance pays all the lawyers sucking off your work. 8 years of study and sweat for an altruistic career is a tough pill to swallow. And the current administration tells you you're worthless unless you go to college...and then give you cheap money to afford it. (because all the schools have raised their tuition thanks to the govt is giving you cheap money) Getting your hands dirty now with a real job (machinist,plumber,oil worker) is looked down on by our liberal elite currently running the show. I could go on, but answers abound if you just dig a little.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

There are only so many liberal arts jobs available. We already have too many lawyers. Who wants to be a Doctor anymore?....the government tells you how much you can charge and the malpractice insurance pays all the lawyers sucking off your work. 8 years of study and sweat for an altruistic career is a tough pill to swallow. And the current administration tells you you're worthless unless you go to college...and then give you cheap money to afford it. (because all the schools have raised their tuition thanks to the govt is giving you cheap money) Getting your hands dirty now with a real job (machinist,plumber,oil worker) is looked down on by our liberal elite currently running the show. I could go on, but answers abound if you just dig a little.

First, the median salary for a generalist MD is over $184,000. Medical schools still have far more applicants than openings. And the average malpractice premium for doctors is less than $25,000.

http://www1.salary.com/Physician-Generalist-salary.html
http://medicaleconomics.modernmedicine.c...tice-?page=full

Second, the primary cost driver in public colleges is decreasing state appropriations. When a state legislature cuts a college's operating budget by 20%, their expenses don't magically shrink by the same amount. The difference is made up in tuition hikes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/pers...uition/2707837/

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: FXjohn

wow, parrot bill o'reilly much?

If i Count at the right way your gas price is quite low.
Here in Sweden ve pay about 14.09 swedisk krones for 1liter.
1us gallon should be 3.785 liter
3.785 liter x 14,09 Sek= 53,33 Sek and 53,33 Sek is about 7,05USD

I use and consume myriad petroleum resources and byproducts each day...albeit seldom more than my fair share, though.

Grateful to be able to do so. Used to ride my bike to HS past queues of motorists awaiting their 'ration' in the '70s.
smile.gif

In another lifetime, our old beetle I think got 28 mpg and our gas was 29 cents a gallon off base in Pensacola fl, 1967. Ok, thats to far back for most of you guys,,,,,,,,,,yep, another old man story, hang in there, in 30 years, you will be telling them to...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back