Gasoline fuel bypass questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relatively new to the filtration side and was wanted to get some opinions. Here is the situation that I'm in: I do most of the maintenance here where I work (farm) and am able to see the effects of things but have little control over changing them. We own our own vehicles we use for work, but get a stipend and HAVE use company fuel for tracking reasons. The fuel we use comes out of an old steel tank and can sit for a while sometimes. I do the maintenance and when I change fuel filters on vehicles they are usually running rust colored fuel out of the inlet side when taken off and the media is covered. The fuel coming out of the tank doesn't appear rusty to the naked eye, but these fuel filters on every vehicle tells me the tank is a rust bucket on the inside. I want this truck to last a long time and doubt the stock filter is catching everything this rusty tank can throw. The boss does not want to put a good set of filters on the hose from the tank or get a new tank. I drive a 2007 F150 5.4L, is it possible to put a bypass fuel filtration system on a no return type system like this? I don't want to screw up the FPCM that regulates rail pressure. Once again, there's no alternative but getting fuel from this tank and I can't change the tank.

If you are generous you could buy a WIX inline fuel filter and mounting base for way less than $100 and install it inline of the outlet hose.
I would be very worried about old gas/alcohol blend separating and getting who knows what for mix out the end of that nozzle.In the old days you could store fuel maybe 90 days,but now...30 days max.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
If you are generous you could buy a WIX inline fuel filter and mounting base for way less than $100 and install it inline of the outlet hose.

Yeah boss won't let that happen even if I pay initially because he'd have to buy replacements. We have filters on the diesel tanks and it takes a lot of coaxing to get him to spring for new filters. The last one on the farm diesel tank went over five years and 20,000+ gallons before I could change it. Needless to say it had been in bypass for a while. He's real good about doing every piece of maintenance on the equipment, but I just can't convince him that some things start before they get to the tractor.

Last edited:
How much pressure are you looking at?

I know at least one person who used a Frantz on a Cummins fuel system as a polishing filter, but they are only seeing about 15psi typically.

I would think any spin-on type bypass would be able to handle the pressure...maybe even look at the filters the diesel crowds are using (Cat/Donaldson) for fuel filtering post OE canisters. If you look at any of the diesel forums, there are aftermarket kits sold by several vendors for just this purpose...they are about 2u IIRC.

Just keep in mind, you will likely need to use the OE filter upstream to prevent the finer filtration filter from plugging prematurely. I would also be concerned about water, and would consider installing a water separator just in case.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
How much pressure are you looking at?

The rail pressure is 35-45 psi with the key on and the engine not running. The engine running is 28-45 psi. My main concern is putting extra strain on the fuel pump with a bypass and if it will mess with the fuel pump control modual that regulates line pressure since it's a return-less system.

Was reading through some old threads and came upon this one...

If I were in this situation and it were a returnless fuel system I would put the bypass filter in (before the ff filter) and a check valve with 1psi or so of cracking pressure in parallel with the bypass filter. The check valve would cause any initial surges in pressure from starting the car to go around the filter and prevent leaks in the bypass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back