Gasoline engine oil in a diesel engine?

I live in South America, and I have questions regarding the type of API oil my pick-up truck should use. I have a Nissan turbo diesel pick-up truck, the Frontier NP300 D23 (YD25DDTi engine) this truck is sold everywhere but in the US. The recommended viscosity, and the one I use, is 5W30. Where I live, the diesel fuel has more than 15ppm of sulfur (around 50ppm)

-Nissan's user manual for South America, says to use API SL, SM or SN engine oil, and according to API, these are gasoline engine oils.

https://www.api.org/products-and-se...ssifications/oil-categories#tab-gasoline

-Nissan's user manual for Thailand (but for the same truck and same engine) says to use only API CF-4, which is a diesel engine oil, but according to API that type of oil is OBSOLETE (Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 2009)
(BTW, Thailand also have more than 15ppm of sulfur in their diesel fuel)

https://www.api.org/products-and-se...s/oil-categories#tab-diesel-c-categories

So why does Nissan recommends a non diesel engine oil for South America and they also recommend an obsolete diesel engine oil for Asia? Are they just doing copy & paste on their user manuals? Or they want their engines to go sooner than they should be? I'm confused with all these Nissan nonsense, no wonder they are doing bad all over the world, Renault has lost 4 billion this year because of them...

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/renault-will-take-4-billion-hit-nissan-losses

API doesn't recommend using newest standard for diesel engine oil the API GK-4 if you have more than 15ppm of sulfur in the diesel fuel... So, what type of oil should I use then?

That is interesting. Yes, you are correct that Nissan recommended you to use a gasoline oil in a Diesel engine. Why? I don't really know. That is bad on they're engineers to do such a thing. Where do you get it that you shouldn't use more than 15 ppm of sulfur in your diesel fuel with API CK-4? A product like this would be a good fit for you: https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...le-5w-30-full-synthetic-heavy-duty.html. It has your required API SN and is diesel rated.

I did some checking on Castrol Australia website. For the Nissan Navarro/ Frontier diesel, with your particular engine, it calls for Castrol Long Life 5W30. That is a VW 504.00/507.00 C3 oil and has Mercedes Benz certification. It also lists Castrol Magnatec Diesel 5W40? Any VW 504.00/507.00 oil will be perfect for your Nissan diesel.

Last edited:
I deal with this regularly in Bolivia. The reason is that the CI-4 or CK-4 are for heavy duty diesels. They don't need the extra anti-wear, etc. So they recommend CF-4 which is covered by almost any SN oil.

So we put SN in all of those cars that get to us. Our sulfur runs between 70 ppm and 250, but I've never seen the TBN drop seriously in the 8000 km we recommend for most conditions. In some of the cheaper brands, like Petronas, it could be a problem.

Originally Posted by NH73
That is interesting. Yes, you are correct that Nissan recommended you to use a gasoline oil in a Diesel engine. Why? I don't really know. That is bad on they're engineers to do such a thing. Where do you get it that you shouldn't use more than 15 ppm of sulfur in your diesel fuel with API CK-4? A product like this would be a good fit for you: https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...le-5w-30-full-synthetic-heavy-duty.html. It has your required API SN and is diesel rated.

I don't blame the engineers here, I blame the one that redacted the manual, hehe.
From the API description of the CK-4 and CJ-4 diesel engine oils "When using CK-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval recommendations." so yes, you are correct, it doesn't say you shouldn't use it, just have to consult your manufacturer for service intervals, perhaps too much sulfur degrades the oil faster. That Shell oil looks interesting.

BTW, we are still EURO 4, no DPFs here, I think even EURO 3
lol.gif

Originally Posted by widman
I deal with this regularly in Bolivia. The reason is that the CI-4 or CK-4 are for heavy duty diesels. They don't need the extra anti-wear, etc. So they recommend CF-4 which is covered by almost any SN oil.

So we put SN in all of those cars that get to us. Our sulfur runs between 70 ppm and 250, but I've never seen the TBN drop seriously in the 8000 km we recommend for most conditions. In some of the cheaper brands, like Petronas, it could be a problem.

That is some very good info.
By the way, this is what one of the manuals says. Use only CF-4 and NEVER the CG-4 (a newer version) I don't know why...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the oil change interval?

Nissan's manual says change it every 10000km (6500miles) but I change it every 8000km (8000km) with 5W30 Full Synthetic oil CASTROL EDGE 5W-30

Originally Posted by Chris142
That is odd
I would run an oil with diesel ratings anyway.

Yep
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MParr
I did some checking on Castrol Australia website. For the Nissan Navarro/ Frontier diesel, with your particular engine, it calls for Castrol Long Life 5W30. That is a VW 504.00/507.00 C3 oil and has Mercedes Benz certification. It also lists Castrol Magnatec Diesel 5W40? Any VW 504.00/507.00 oil will be perfect for your Nissan diesel.

I will look into it, thanks

Last edited:
Who prints the manual? The importer? They may not be "the" engineers in Japan who came up with the engine.

I'd do what widman does if I were down there.

Originally Posted by widman

CF-4 is a heavy duty diesel spec also, which happens to be obsolete, which in the US, was one of the options for oils for VW TDI's pre 2004 according to the owner's manual.

Many of the current API spec Heavy duty oil also happens to be API SN also.

D23 ? Not D22 ? In New Zealand the D22 with the YD25 and no DPF, Castrol recommend edge 5W-30...this is the A3/B4 version....the API rating is only SL/CF, so ignore that, ACEA is what you need to look at.

The engineers that write the oil recommendation for owners manuals need to stay consistent with what organization they refer to is saying, such as API. By not, it makes them look ignorant. Using an obsolete rating is a big no-no. If you don't like what API specs, then come up with your own. Don't use an older API spec. if your intention is that you don't want the owner to use the newest, when API back specs.
Why don't you show what oil is your options. What is easily available to you. Diesel rated oils, gas rated oils, dual rated oils? Given what you tell us, I don't believe you need to spend an arm and a leg.

Here in the U.S. automakers are switching to gasoline oils for diesels also. GM's new 3.0L Duramax specs 0W20 and FCA's new 3.0L EcoDiesel specs 5W40 Euro formulation meeting API SN rating.

When asked about this, FCA's engineering team responded that diesel oils like Rotella will cause coking and other issues because the pressures have changed in the new engines and also the emissions equipment has been updated.

Here in the U.S. automakers are switching to gasoline oils for diesels also. GM's new 3.0L Duramax specs 0W20 and FCA's new 3.0L EcoDiesel specs 5W40 Euro formulation meeting API SN rating.

When asked about this, FCA's engineering team responded that diesel oils like Rotella will cause coking and other issues because the pressures have changed in the new engines and also the emissions equipment has been updated.
What a bunch of malarky.
1. Their engines have inherent problem with bearings. T6 and ACEA A3/B4 oils are band aid.
2. How did they update emission equipment? Like VW did their TDI's without SCR and later it costed them $40 billion? What did they do to DPF so that it will not get clogged? Why T6 is coking in FCA diesels but not others? Coking of oils like that means poor engine design.
3. Switch to lighter oils by FCA is due to new design of new diesel engine and CAFE requirements.

TDI's without SCR didn't cost them $40 billion. It's the cheat program they have to fake emissions results that cost them $40 billion.

What a bunch of malarky.
1. Their engines have inherent problem with bearings. T6 and ACEA A3/B4 oils are band aid.
2. How did they update emission equipment? Like VW did their TDI's without SCR and later it costed them $40 billion? What did they do to DPF so that it will not get clogged? Why T6 is coking in FCA diesels but not others? Coking of oils like that means poor engine design.
3. Switch to lighter oils by FCA is due to new design of new diesel engine and CAFE requirements.

I don't know. I do know that oils like the Valvoline Euro 5W40 are low SAPS oils that are better for the DPF system. But as far as the technical differences that could cause coking on the new water and oil cooled turbo system or the new dual-pressure EGR system, I really don't know.

Here's the specific response a FCA representative posted to the forum. There were a lot of questions because the very first Gen 3 EcoDiesel owners manuals had the old oil spec info AND the new oil spec info in the same manual and it caused a lot of confusion. Keep in mind this new engine is 80% different from the old one in the 2019 and older trucks. The manuals have since been updated and now only show the FCA MS-12991 and API SN specifications.

"Hi all,

I do apologize for the delay in my response, as I was awaiting a follow up from our engineering team on this matter. I have been advised that diesel oils like Shell Rotella should not be used as they will cause turbo coking and associated concerns as this engine has lower engine pressure than previous generation engines. Please know that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro has moved to SN+ with new formulation and it has not been validated. There are plans to test the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SP grade oil as soon as the virus situation progresses. Please do not hesitate to reach back out down the road, as I am happy to provide any additional updates I can.

Mark
RamCares "

Back