Gas tank repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you probably get this Newsletter.

Repair Mistakes & Blunders

Ouch!

A friend of mine visited a car wash after we had just upgraded the exhaust system on his 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T. The exhaust caught on the wheel positioning guides for the automated carwash, pushing an exhaust clamp into the gas tank and puncturing it. In a matter of a few miles he went from a full tank to barely making it up his driveway before running out of gas.

My friend had just purchased a MIG welding setup, so we decided to fix the hole by welding it shut. We removed the gas tank, filled it with water as much as possible using a garden hose, and rinsed it carefully. We couldn't fill it completely with water due to the positioning of the fuel filler neck, but figuring we were safe, we settled down on his front lawn to weld the hole shut.

As soon as he pulled the trigger on the welding torch there was a sound reminiscent of a fighter jet blasting overhead just over the treetops. I had been standing, but when the noise stopped, I was laying on my back and couldn't recall how I'd gotten there. My friend was also flat on his back, welding torch still in hand, looking stunned. His neighbors came outside and were all looking around wondering where the thunderous noise had come from.

Apparently the small space in the tank that was not full of water had sufficient fumes in it to ignite causing the explosion. The 16 gallon gas tank had emptied itself completely of water in a fraction of a second, leaving only steam wafting out the filler neck hole. It had also doubled in size, expanding like a balloon, but fortunately hadn't blown to pieces. We avoided any injury beyond the ringing in our ears and wounded pride.

Needless to say he bought a new gas tank and we never attempted to weld a gas tank again.

Matt in Washington

I've welded gas tanks before. I always made sure to:

1) remove the tank from the car
2) empty the gas from the tank
3) wash the inside of the tank with a garden hose to remove any gasoline residue and vapors
4) air out the tank for a day to dry the moisture and any gasoline vapors

I consider this to be a foolproof way to prevent disaster when welding gas tanks.

The story talks about rinsing the tank, but I guess it wasn't done properly.

Did you guys see the gas tank repair for the nissan 200sx that Dave did on youtube from Davidsfarm ?
He welded it in car. He used a CO2 fire extinguisher to fill the tank with CO2 and welded it with fuel in it.
I think that was crazy, but interesting to watch none the less.

I'm not sure if I can post it as I'm not sure if it has any vulgarity in it. (Some of his video's do) I don't want to get banned. But if you guys want to search youtube for the user name davidsfarm, I'm sure you'll find it.

Any gas or fumes left in the tank will float on the water, right up to where your welding.

We use CO2 to fill the tank. CO2 won't burn so you can't have an explosion w/o oxygen.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
Fire needs oxygen to burn. Fill it up with CO2 and there is no oxygen to mix with the fumes.

Or so you hope!

As a welder for 35 years I have welded many gas tanks and and diesel tanks. First the tank has to be completely steam cleaned. Then I insert an air hose into the tank with about 5 lbs. of air circulating through the tank.
It's a wonder someone wasn't killed.
Once I welded on a partially filled fuel tank on a Navy cruiser. 100,000 gals. of fuel oil. We purged the tank with Argon with 2 Lbs of pressure before welding.
Also mig welding is a poor way to weld on tanks like you described. Tig welding is the best process for that job. Much less of an oportunity for a leak.

I have welded a gas tank in the past and kept safe by rinsing the empty tank with a soapy detergent solution and sloshing it around till all the gas in the metal's pores had been absorbed. Emptied it and did the routine once again. Now I can weld all I wanted.

Metal doesn't have pores... not even terne-coated metal. It's a common misconception for people to think that metal is porous to liquids.

I am not referring to microscopic holes that go through the metal. I'm talking about very small, even microscopic, crevices and imperfections on the metal surface that can collect and trap very small amounts of gasoline in liquid or gaseous form.

Last edited:
There's got to be some pores, otherwise nucleate boiling wouldn't work.

Not saying that there's enough to store a cup full of petrol.

My world is risk management, and welding on a petrol tank, even full of CO2 isn't a profile that I'd like to take on.

One of the scariest situations I've seen in power stations was a fitter who went to the wrong pipe (correct one isolated, but he wasn't on it).

He's just finished gas axing the bolts off a flange on a 60psi hydrogen main when his supervisor saw what he'd done.

During assembly, someone had used some super gasket goo, which held the flanges together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back