Gas station brands and names

I remember when ESSO turned into EXXON in 1972.
I was working at my Dad's ESSO gas station when it all changed. The same can be said for when Bank Americard changed to VISA.
We were changing all of our signage in '72. Well, we didn't do the actual sign changes, the companies came in and made the changes.
2x I was working at an Esso during the changeover, same thing happened. Wish I grabbed a few Esso signs though.

2x I was working at an Esso during the changeover, same thing happened. Wish I grabbed a few Esso signs though.
We never had Esso (phonic for SO in Standard Oil) … my area went from Enco to Exoon - but Esso is still used in some places overseas …

Seeing more Mobil pumps in the Houston area again … after the merger we saw the lubricants become Mobil but all the gasoline went Exxon …

Rockefeller started Standard Oil with change to ESSO, pronounced S-O which changed to Exxon which merged with Mobil. Can't have both Exxon and Mobil in the same places so it's one or the other in your town. Although, I swear I saw an ESSO station not too long ago outside the USA.

BP started as the Anglo-Iranian oil company, became part of Standard Oil and acquired Amoco, and ARCO.

Growing up the three local stations in town all at the same intersection were ARCO, Sunoco, and Mobil. ARCO was the least expensive. There was a Texaco on the other side of town and its claim to fame was the location of the only ice block vending machine left in the area. If you needed a giant block of ice for your ice box, that was the only place to get it.

A few I recall... Fina ("with Pflash") , Conoco and slogan "Hottest Brand Going". Shamrock, Jet Gas, FasGas, Sello and their slogan "That's what we do." was Mobil's self-service cheaper brand, DX, Hudson. I know there are more that came and went. I used to buy "100+ Octane" gas at Fed Mart.

Last edited:
Ashland branded. Ashland also supplied several brands including BiLo, Speedway, Superamerica, prob others. Later became Marathon Ashland, then finally just Marathon.
This is an oil "TOW" from the '50s. Note the '56 Chevy. I pumped many of these barges over the years, Many were still being used up into the 80's.
This picture was probably taken on the lower Ohio River, near southern Illinois.
Towboat.jpg

In the 50s and 60s growing up in Cleveland OH,,,The big station was SOHIO...also Sinclair....Texaco..Cities Service..Shell and Sunoco...I would always fill up my 1968 Dodge Charger before going to the dragstrip with Sunoco 260...back then it had a blue tint to the gas...that meant it was 260....

Texaco and Philips 66 had once been the only two brands with stations in all 50 US states. Of course, that's long changed. Philips 66 had one lone station left in Virginia, in Emporia, which was open only because it was serviced from North Carolina, which still has the brand. After the proprietor passed away, the station closed and was torn down a few years ago. Texaco is long gone from Virginia because of the Chevron deal.

Gulf and Union 76 had been absent for many years out my way, but have recently made a return. Sunoco was likewise gone, but came back some years ago.

The Exxon name is used only in the US. If you really want to see an Esso station, just go to Canada.

One I'm curious about is Firego. No info about the company or brand seems to be available online, except for pictures of an abandoned gas station near Stony Creek, Virginia, on US 301, visible from I-95. I know that station well because I used to pass it a lot. The building is overgrown and crumbling. My stepfather remembered Firego had stations in the 1950s in New York state.

The big changes I’ve seen up here is there used to be quite a few Sunoco station up here, but when Petro-Can bought them out they were all converted…some, not many, still sell ‘ultra 94’ gas.
Interesting to see Mobil branded stations come back up here; not that many, but they seem to be growing that brand.
The big change we will see very soon is CT’s ‘gas +’ stations being converted to Petro-Canada stations…CT gas brand will disappear, still don’t ‘get’ that move….

Chevron,76,shell, arco and now Sinclair are here. Sinclair is by far the cheapest of the name brands and it's serviced by the 76/shell trucks as those 2 companies are the same building here

The name brands stations are often $1 more per gallon than the liquor stores are .

Back