Gas grill rust-imploded....need to replace

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by Schmoe
Saw those webers.....they are pretty high dollar.

Cheaper than buying multiple junk grills and having them rust out in a few years.

This.

I got tired of replacing grills every couple of years. Bought a Weber Genesis about 14 years ago and still have it. I have had to replace the inverted V tents over the burners and the igniter in the 14 years I have had it. The doors to the storage underneath have fallen off and the tank support has rusted through but the guts of the grill are still good. I may just make a stand out of treated lumber to put the grill on and keep on grilling.

I've got a 2007 model Weber Genesis that I got second hand a few years ago and its a great grill. You want the ones that are all stainless including the grates. All mine has needed is the 'flavorizer bars' and an igniter. Not bad for a 12yo grill I use frequently. I think the new equivalent would be around $1k which is hard to swallow. I paid $200 for mine.

Went looking around these past couple of days. Most of ya'll are spot on. To get the "good" stuff, you got to drop some cash. Those grills in the 225 or less department are pretty much flimsy and not very sturdy. That Brinkmann I got, you could put a V8 on it and it would hold it. That thing is solid. Did some more tear down and think I'm just going to rebuild it. I can get the two crucial parts, flame rail and burners for around 100. Still need to get a heat plate but noticed they are some cheap ones at Walmart....one size fits all kind of thing, and just replace it more often. One thing I can't find is the electronic ignition module. Since I'm the only one doing the grilling for the family, I'll just get use to using a long lighter to start her up. Just can't let it do after seeing what I'd end up replacing it with. I know, at some point before I retire, I'll drop the bucks and get a high dollar one and hopefully that should be my last. Appreciate the input and as usual, great advice from ya'll.

My Weber Genesis is now 18 years old and still going strong. I have stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars. Grill is used year round and stays out on our deck and has hardly any rust to speak of. The igniter no longer works and I need to replace the original burners. I think it was $400 when we bought it.

Originally Posted by user52165
Another vote for Weber.

Bought the rough equivalent of this 20 years ago:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-S...ne-Gas-Grill-in-Black-44010001/302976462

In all those years only replaced the igniter and flavorizer bars. Stainless burners rock.

The basic model of a top line company is better than the best of a lesser firm.

Don't need massive size, 3 or 4 burners, side burners, etc. which jack up the price.

360 sq. in. is a lot of grill area. If you are cooking for an army, get your neighbors to help.

Totally agreed. That's the exact model I have, in turquoise. I'm tired of replacing grills after 4-7 years. Mine's covered as well these days.

If you're tight on a budget and haven't got time for deep market research and analysis, then looking through this guide should help you to save your time and you'll might find something suitable in a range

I've got an all stainless Jenn Air that we got 15 or 16 years ago. Still looks as good as the day we brought it home. I replaced the cast iron burners and stainless shields a few years ago. Grillparts.com is excellent when you need to fix any grill.

I was need a new grill quickly about 5 years ago
Bought a Kitchen Aid from HD
Cast iron grates, searing unit (works great)
Great grill for under $300 bucks
I'd buy another one

Last time I got a grill, I looked through Craigslist, etc. Found a lady that had a huge, all stainless Member's Mark from Sam's Club. She had it advertised as "free...doesn't work". So I inquired about it. Said her son bought it brand new...they used it about 3 times the year they had it and it quit working right after the warranty ran out. Also said the igniter never worked. I went to look at it...still looked pretty new other than it didn't have a cover on it. But it was all 100% stainless. I looked it up...this was a $700 grill brand new.

I loaded it up and brought it home. Hooked a propane tank to it and turned it on. I could hear it leaking from the regulator. $20 part. Next, I checked the igniter. Never had a battery put in it. Also in the bottom of the cabinet of it was a rotisserie kit that had never been taken out of the box.

I've had it 10 years now. I did replace all 3 burners last year. $25 each. The ceramic flame tamer plates started getting brittle and crumbling. A new set of those was another $60...so I went a different route. I bought 2 generic wire racks for $8 each and cut them to fit the flame tamer rack...then lined it with lava rock. It cooks more evenly now than it ever did with those ceramic plates. A bag a lava rock is cheap. So when they get saturated with dripping grease....I can change them out with new ones for about $4/bag.

Moral of the story...weigh your options and look for deals.

I just bought a Weber Genesis II SE-335 to replace a Weber Genesis I bought in 2004. I could absolutely fix the old Genesis but I was ready for a new one

I've had several grills over the years and I've refurbished a few as well. Buying a used Weber on Craigslist or FB Marketplace is the route to go. I've got a Weber s-210 sitting on the deck of our beach house for 5 years now...30 yards from the NJ back bay. It's a tough environment for anything metal. It fires up every time.

Saw those webers.....they are pretty high dollar.
If you got ten years from a Brinkman you did good. I got tired of replacing grills every 2 or 3 years and bought a Weber. I should have started out with one. You'll save money in the long run and when parts do eventually wear out they are readily available. The "tents" over the burners will eventually rust out if they aren't the stainless ones but are cheap and easy to replace. My burners lasted about 15 years and had to replace the igniters about the same time. It it still going strong after 20 years.

For the price nothing is going to beat a Weber IF you want a well constructed long lasting grill. Been there, done that, with previous gas grills for decades, I bought cheaper knowing I would be throwing it out in a few years. As a kid my parents had a natural gas Charmglow gas grill before most people even knew Gas Grills existed ... so I have a lot of experience with them.

Our Weber E210 must be over a decade old now, think we bought it back during the 2008 market crash. It was the really budget model with porcelain grates at the time, think they produced it to cut costs due to the economy... anyway, I did replace them with the cast iron grates which I love over 10 years ago.
Grill is still going strong, never replaced anything else on it, we use it year round here in the south.
Anyway, with the Weber you wont have to even think about replacing burners or rusting out of parts for at LEAST 10 years.
Weber uses a better quality thicker stainless steal for their burners as well as just about every other part on the grill better made.

This isnt to say there aren't good performing cheaper grills out there but with Weber you know it will perform well. You can find a rare good performing cheaper grill but just need to be aware the replacement cycle, as well as parts on the grill deteriorating will be much faster on the cheaper ones.
I saw a review on one and I am still looking for the site where I saw it.

Go back to charcoal, nothing beats the taste of charcoal grilled meat and veggies, had a 5 burner Kenmore gas grill that I got rid of after I got a 26" weber kettle grill, no flavor bars required and they last forever. The charcoal setup is like a ritual, your cooking within 20 min, and 2 cold brews, gas is too easy, might as well cook on the stove/oven, lazy way to grill. :LOL:
IMG_1032.JPG

Back