Garden hose filter recommendations

Not sure if this is the correct subforum but what I am seeking is a consumer device nonetheless.

I rent, so I can't install a whole home softener, and where I am there is super hard water. So much so, that I have given up on home-washing my car entirely because any time I do, it looks like absolute garbage when it dries. More gray streaks and spots than before I washed it more often than not.

I was wondering if there was a decent filter that could be put inline on my garden hose to help remove some of the hard water deposits.

For the price it definitely wouldn't hurt to try it out.
There's a ton of different ones available too. Just search 'RV water filter' and it will show a bunch. Might be some more targeted to your specific problem(s). All are right around the same price as well.

Get an undersink RO water filter and do a final rinse with a gallon(s).
Bonus makes water taste great. I love my RO water. Drink 32oz+ after work.. before with our nasty Clorox water I wouldnt drink it.. ever.

Most water filters, like activated carbon filters, KDF filters, ultrafiltration systems, and sediment filters, don't remove minerals. The only filters that can remove minerals from water are reverse osmosis systems and water distillers.

Last edited:
Something like this is what you want but expensive to buy and expensive to use.

81UyqRDKUEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Another option is after rinsing with the garden hose, rinse again with 2 or 3 gallon jugs of distilled water.

Ditto this: Don't confuse a water filter with water softener.

A water softener will take out some grit but that's not what it's made for and the grit will soon plug up the water softener. And FYI, If you have any grit in your water, you need to use a water filter ahead of any water softener that you install to prevent ruining it.

But it sounds like you need a filter and not a softener. There was another water filter thread on here a few days ago and you might want to check it out. I'm on a well and have very fine grit in the water and it leaves a white film on the car when I wash it. I used a common house hold water filter (HD, Lowes, Sears, etc) and put some hose barbs on it, then spliced it into one of my garden hoses and I use that for washing and rinsing the cars. Unfortunately the filter don't get out all of the very fine white powder. But it was cheap and easy to make so you might want to give it a shot.

whole house water filter and two each 3/4" hose barbs. These are just examples, there are cheaper versions of both. Just make sure that the filter that you get uses replaceable standard size filter elements and not some odd sized propriatary ones.

Never had any problems with the Camco one, and that's with pressure regulated down to 40psi, seems to flow decently well.

My parents got me a car wash thing that had something similar to that inline one, except it was built into this big wash gun thing that also did soap. It worked surprisingly well, especially considering the water there was so hard it turned my black car chalky dark gray.

My parents got me a car wash thing that had something similar to that inline one, except it was built into this big wash gun thing that also did soap. It worked surprisingly well, especially considering the water there was so hard it turned my black car chalky dark gray.
That's the issue I'm having, my pathfinder is dark gray but by the time it dries off after washing it's like a milky off white

I standby my solution.
install RO undersink filter.. enjoy awesome drinking water.

get a 1 or 2 gallon sprayer use that as final rinse.. there should be no residue left.
or bucket wash with RO water.. not hard to store up a couple jugs or 5 gallon buckets.
pennies per gallon.

Not sure if this is the correct subforum but what I am seeking is a consumer device nonetheless.

I rent, so I can't install a whole home softener, and where I am there is super hard water. So much so, that I have given up on home-washing my car entirely because any time I do, it looks like absolute garbage when it dries. More gray streaks and spots than before I washed it more often than not.

I was wondering if there was a decent filter that could be put inline on my garden hose to help remove some of the hard water deposits.
There is a product for sale online. Exactly what it sounds like you are wanting for filtering which can be relocated per your needs.

Check out Griot's Garage. I bought all sorts of specialty detailing items from them when I was still doing a lot of it. Even bought some tools from them as well when doing a lot of auto repair work at home shop. A northwest based major automobile detailing products company. I know exactly what you are dealing with. "City water!" If city water is not blown or towel dried off after washing it will begin to mess up the finish on almost all paint jobs. The small bubbles left on the paint surface will actually stain and begin to eat/etch the paint job. (even clear coated) Go to griotsgarage.com and look under Garage & More then to Hose and Accessories. Once there you will find (2) products. One is for home use - permanent. The other sounds like what you want. Just look down page 1/2 way and there is one In - Line Water Softner Deionizer with fittings. A buddy bought one to try out at his body shop. Worked out so good he later installed the large tank / permanent style. https://www.griotsgarage.com - I dont sell or work for them. Just found over the years they sell quality / specialty products for car nuts like me. They are proud of what they sell by the prices as you will see. I still own every tool I bought from then and never had a quality issue.

Last edited:
Ended up getting the Camco filter and it works great. Washed the Pathfinder today and no water spots or streaks from the hard water. Night and day difference.

Back