Garage (Shop) build thoughts - pre-planning

I imagine the stick built building would be cheaper than steel, but I am not sure.

Insulation would be a draw id think. Stick built could be drywall. You could run Romex for wiring as opposed to running everything on the surface with pipe, which would be cheaper as well.

To note. I had a custom home built this year. It has a 18X8 and a 9X8 garage door. I didn’t go for the common raised panel style. It took months to get the doors.

So Morton says they would want to pour the sidewalls formed with concrete and can do a 30 x 40 x 12 Morton standard building on that. So that's what he will likely quote as long as the Morton standard will work. He said it was recently changed so that a building for the top of concrete can the a Standard Building.

A building on the "morton foundation" could probably be put on the pad, but the available footprint is too small for my wants.

We discussed a few options and he will look into them and we will talk about it. (like brick facade - he knows we can do the wainscoting in a "nova brick" on the front and the rest of the wainscoting in a brick red colored metal, white walls, black roof and trim.

He did not seem enthusiastic about insulated slab says they never do them here but will discuss with concrete guy. They always do vapor barrier. Felt the best (and usual way) to do the lift is a 4" slab with 6" deep pockets in the area the lift will be.

10x24 door.

I'm a little scared of what the concrete quote is going to be.

Well local contractor guy is more on my page, wants to build block wall, reinforced. filled with concrete and 12" block where it is tallest on footings outside the existing footprint, then remove ties, have compaction tested and go from there.

Says can make trusses that will get me 12 foot ceilings 3 feet or less off the wall with 10 foot side walls, wide door though he wants to look at how wide. He actually wanted to put the walk door in front next to a 16 foot but I want it in the side. Brick facade no problem. Can make it match the house, i will do insulation and interior finish work.

I still have not gotten estimates from either though. But that's where we are right now.

Back