Getting A Building Permit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 28oz
I know what you mean about the permit. I recently got a permit to build a patio cover. The "inspector" told me to take my plans to a lumber yard to see if it was "OK". After relaying that request to the lumber yard people, they looked at me like I had two heads. They were gracious enough to give me a few pointers, but really only told me what I would need supply wise. The city was, however, very eager to take my fee.

It's all about the dollars, and nothing else. I don't think it was as bad 30 or 40 years ago. But unfortunately as many of today's cities descend into massive amounts of debt, this is what it has evolved into. The whole concept of obtaining building permits, and having building inspections done, was to insure safe and quality construction. And protect the citizen from unscrupulous contractors who did shoddy work. The permit, building codes, and the building inspector was supposed to provide this by acting as a quality control agent, to make sure everything was up to a standard set by the city. Now in many cases they don't even bother.

Laws and codes are worthless unless they can provide some reliable method of enforcing them. Today once the money is collected, they consider the "job" to be finished...... At least as far as they're concerned.

Try dealing with the 50-65 year old people at the Bureau of Land Management downtown. Those people don’t know what’s going on or what they’re doing, and they’ve worked there for 20+ years.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Their job is not to tell you how it's done. They're going to assume that you know how to do it. When they do the inspection, they expect it to be done right or if it's not, they'll just tell you to redo it.

That's just it. I asked them if I need to call them when it's complete, so they'll know when to come and inspect the final job. They said no. This type of job doesn't require a final inspection. I could build the thing out of Paper Mache and plaster, and they wouldn't know the difference. This was / is all about collecting the permit fee, and nothing else.

Your point is taken, but if you erect a "wall" made of twigs and paper, you didn't build what you stated you would and at some point, it will be noticed. While you might not need to request a visit by an inspector, it doesn't necessarily mean one won't follow-up on the permit.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Does Glendale have building codes or an inspector?

My mailing address is Glendale. But I'm under Phoenix services. (Police, Fire, Sewer & Water, Building Codes, etc.) But to answer your question, yes they do. The population of Glendale is over 400,000 people.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Your point is taken, but if you erect a "wall" made of twigs and paper, you didn't build what you stated you would and at some point, it will be noticed. While you might not need to request a visit by an inspector, it doesn't necessarily mean one won't follow-up on the permit.

I'm not saying that couldn't happen. But it's really doubtful. All 3 of my neighbors east of me did the same thing that I'm going to do, 20 years ago after they moved in. Not one of them bothered to get a permit to do it. None of them ever heard a word about it. 2 months ago when I had the concrete poured to widen my driveway for the wall, I used the same concrete guy my neighbor across the street used to widen his driveway last Summer. Neither of us got a permit. Same deal, not a word. And mind you, all of these changes to all 5 of these houses, including mine, are very obvious when viewed from the street.

It even showed the existing concrete I just poured unpermitted, on the drawing I submitted for the wall. He pulled the drawings from my house when it was built back in 1997 to obtain the set back dimension he was so worried about. He had both drawings sitting side by side right on his desk. One showing the newly poured additional concrete. The other not. Again, he never said a word with it starring him right in his face. They don't care. It's all about the dollars.

The only reason I obtained a permit this time is because my HOA is very fussy about walls. (Height, appearance, etc.) They are more likely to give me static than the city. And the contractor I'm using wouldn't build it without one.

I had a great experience with my recent basement finish and the city building office. Brought in homemade plans and they approved on the spot. Got a building permit, electrical, plumbing (added bathroom). I DIY’d everything. Even demostrated a drain pressure test for the bathroom after I chopped up the concrete floor. . Had maybe 6 inspections overal. Schedule was quick and easy. Could not have been easier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E365
I had a great experience with my basement finish and the city building office. Brought in homemade plans and they approved on the spot. Got a building permit, electrical, plumbing (added bathroom). I DIY’d everything. Even demostrated a drain pressure test for the bathroom. Had maybe 6 inspections overal. Schedule was quick and easy .

I think for major home improvements, additions, and things like pools, they may be somewhat more attentive. When I had my pool built back in 1999, they, (the city), came for a total of 3 inspections. 1.) After initial excavation. (Digging the hole). 2.) After the rebar and cleaning system and drain plumbing was installed right before concrete. 3.) Right after they finished the Pebble Tech. The inspector was on site when they did that, because the pool has to be filled shortly after that process is completed. And I couldn't fill the pool until the third inspection was done. But as I said, that was 2 decades ago. Today, who knows.

Originally Posted By: billt460
... Neither of us got a permit. Same deal, not a word. And mind you, all of these changes to all 5 of these houses, including mine, are very obvious when viewed from the street. .....

In the cities around here that are big enough to have a Lowes, HD, etc., the revenue agents don't drive around looking for people building stuff, they just get the delivery tickets from the big box store and match the address to their permit records. No match, you get at least a visit.

Not sure what they'll do when you can buy building materials online and have them delivered. I mostly detest things like Amazon but I guess the enemy of my enemy could be my friend in some circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back