New garage build. Input needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to build a detached garage/workshop.

I narrowed it down to a steel building as it's much more cost effective. It's $1000 less installed then a stick built garage is in material alone. It's going to serve as my shop with a work bench, and house a boat, riding mower, and motorcycle. In the future, I'd like to get a smaller tractor in the future.

Would you prefer depth or width?

I'm looking around 24w x 35d x 9h with an 8 tall foot front door and a 6 x 6ft side door for the mower.

I understand that bigger is better. These dimensions are maxing out my budget.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by ls1mike
That is a good size, you can get a bunch in there. The only thing I would do is go higher.

Higher gets pricey, quick. I also don't have a need for a 10ft door, so I couldn't justify the additional height.

I built a 32x50x16 high here at the house, 1 10x10 door and the other 12x14 (H) that was 5 years ago, and I already have 2 20 ft shipping containers beside it. Go big, up front. I should have built a 40x100. I'd build higher than 9 foot too. Height helps with lighting evenly and go with a higher door...8 foot isn't much. Dont forget an exhaust fan that draws air out from the highest point inside. Helps with general heat and noxious fumes if your welding, torching etc.

Stick shop is easier to isulate...likely not a problem in SC though.

Last edited:
Try to figure out which tractor you are likely to get, then get some specs on the next size up and how tall the ROPS is. You would be amazed how many are 7'2" or 8'1". That garage sounds good though.

Originally Posted by dja4260
........I also don't have a need for a 10ft door,.....

Yet.

You never build for what you need now. For me, and the company, I've been involved in the design and build of 9 shops ranging from a 20x50 to a 100x500. I've learned to maybe wait on some things in the initial build to go bigger right away and then add some of the bells and whistles later on if you can.

I will also say this, no matter how much you plan and plan your design...you will forget something that after the fact you'll regret....happens ALL the time. And if you don't figure out what you forgot...some azzhule boss or friend will point it out to you....it's the joy of getting to make the decisions.LOL.

Good luck...having your own shop, no matter what the size and shape is, is just an awesome feeling.

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by ls1mike
That is a good size, you can get a bunch in there. The only thing I would do is go higher.

Higher gets pricey, quick. I also don't have a need for a 10ft door, so I couldn't justify the additional height.

Higher is also ALWAYS the cheapest way to get more volume.

"Bigger in width or lengt is several orders of magnitude more expensive than going higher. I like shelves, so my place is rather tall.

You can gain tons of storage if you have the design include "attic trusses" , the roof line stays the same but instead of the criss crossing traditional trusses, your builder/supplier alter the trusses so that a full length square area is in the final design. We added a 24'x36' addition that was for a 10'x 24' entry then a 26'x24' attached garage with a 12'x36' screen porch on the backside, all under one roof. The entry is insulated and has a pull down ladder that goes up into the 'attic' of the garage part, giving us nearly 16'x36' wide open storage or future living space. The truss company increases the bottom truss beam in height since it will be considered 'load bearing' and the configuration of the webbing of the trusses is designed for our winter snow loads. The additional cost to us for going this route was around $2,000 but it gives us so much future space at minimal cost. Grand kids love playing up there too. Here are 2 pics of what they look like. Good luck.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back