garage floor coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of using an epoxy garage floor coating. Any recommendations? Brands? And special tips? I know i will need to clean it well and etch it. I want to do it right the first time.
I'm leaning away from the embedded chips though, what if it needs a recoat in a few years?

Last edited:
Look over at the garagejournal forum. Lots of info there. The pros who install it (and charge a fortune) do some grinding, etching and then apply the coating.

What you do not want to end up with is peeling epoxy floor coating.

Cement colored cement looks good to me.

After about 15 years mine still looks great. I waited a couple years after I built the shop before I coated the floor. It's held up quite well-the only area that I have an issue with is where I've run a tractor with tire chains on it-but that's my fault not the fault of the coating.

I can run a mop over the floor and it's completely clean. If I spill some oil I can toss some paint thinner on it and it cleans right up. I can sit or lay on the floor to work on something without getting dirty or dusty.

In the photo below we've just finished changing all of the fluids on a friends pickup-you can see a couple areas where we've gotten sloppy. It took me about 2 minutes with a paper towel to clean up the floor after the picture was taken.

I not only have the speckles, but I also put silica sand in the coat applied in the area in front of the pedestrian door-otherwise it would be fairly slick with snow covered shoes.

Thanks Pop Rivit, for the photo. Do you remember what brand of coating you selected? I also like the outlets mid wall. I am considering taking down the sheet rock ( to move the outlets and using particle board ,perhaps with a clear poly coating.

P.S. I like the license plates and other wall art.

Last edited:
If my memory serves it was a coating that I used was available from one of the local paint stores. I seem to remember the person at the paint store telling me it was made for them by Rust Oleum, but I'm not positive about that.

The real key to a quality job is the prep work. It takes a lot of work to make sure the floor is ready.

It's all in the prep, the cleaner you get the floor the better. Going as far as shot blasting is not overkill at all and will ensure a solid adhesion to the concrete. Look for the solids content of the product, the higher the better but they also get a little trickier to apply and most of the high solids coatings are a two part epoxy. The acrylic chips not only add traction to the surface, they also act as a wear enhancer in the floor, as does silica sand in the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back