Professional Garage Floor Coatings

Home Depot does rent a floor prep system that uses carbide-tipped cutting elements on a plate that bolts to a floor polisher. It will make quick work out of existing coatings and leave a abraded surface for epoxies to bite on. However, you can’t use it wet and it will mess you up unless you’re strong like bull.

Yea, tannins and silicone are the two painter’s banes. Only thing you can really do is shot blast or grind your concrete. My experience with primers on concrete floors is Behr’s 1K bonding primer which dries clear. PPG, SW and a few others call for a specific primer for their systems - you’d want a tone close to the topcoat.

Well this job had them all, so we'll really put their work to the test!

I DIY'd a few years ago on another house. Acid etched the floor and used PPG Aquapon...it peeled within a year where the tire traffic was.
I used the POR Eastwood Floor Armor years ago that held up. I see the cost is a lot more today. Gone up over $100 or more yet still way cheaper than professional costs. Those outrageous - over $10,000 - $15,000costs are for professional business places or some rich guy's "garage museum."
They told me on of the things (tricks) is, when you acid etch to leave it on almost twice as long as they recommend and to make certain it is 100% really very dry before you apply the coating.

Last edited:
Back