Professional Garage Floor Coatings

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'm looking for advice on having a professional paint/epoxy my garage floor and what I should look for. I want something durable that won't peel, house was build in 1995 and it's an integral two car garage. Previous owner had a car that leaked oil, it's been cleaned up but still stained the concrete and I am concerned this could present a challenge with the coating sticking. Are there any particular types of floor coatings I should look into? I don't need anything industrial but don't mind paying more for something that will hold up to residential use.

So I'm reading diamond grinding is the proper way to prep the concrete before painting and there appear to be a couple of local companies that specialize in this. Anything else I should look for?

Concrete needs to be ground for maximum adhesion. Polyaspartic seems to be the more popular option now.

Neither option is very durable against jack stands or impact from sharp objects if you plan to do work on your cars.

My buddy just paid $3k to have his done.

Due to the aforementioned reasons, I decided to skip it for my garage.

You may also want to check out the "Average Middle Class Garage Goals" group on facebook.

Concrete needs to be ground for maximum adhesion. Polyaspartic seems to be the more popular option now.

Neither option is very durable against jack stands or impact from sharp objects if you plan to do work on your cars.

My buddy just paid $3k to have his done.

Due to the aforementioned reasons, I decided to skip it for my garage.

You may also want to check out the "Average Middle Class Garage Goals" group on facebook.
Be warned, the "average middle class" part is a bit of a stretch. But there are some good ideas there.

Thanks, guys. I thought that was a pretty fair price too, they're scheduled to begin on the 17th.

I'm looking for advice on having a professional paint/epoxy my garage floor and what I should look for. I want something durable that won't peel, house was build in 1995 and it's an integral two car garage. Previous owner had a car that leaked oil, it's been cleaned up but still stained the concrete and I am concerned this could present a challenge with the coating sticking. Are there any particular types of floor coatings I should look into? I don't need anything industrial but don't mind paying more for something that will hold up to residential use.
there are plenty of companies who sell garage floor expoxy kits. There are also web sites that explain how to acid (muriatic) etch the concrete prior to coating it. We did that to a shop floor in the late 1980s and it is still decent to this day with lots of traffic after I sold the place. You can go as cheap or expensive as your need and still have a pretty nice outcome. Griot's Garage even sells a few two part kits as does most paint / sealer companies. Just search online as there are so many options for you.

Last edited:
I got quotes from $4-6/SF depending on number of coats. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet as I’m just not ready to spend $14k on floor coatings. I do think it would look nice and clean up easily. If I was doing it over, I’d have it done before moving in as I’m not sure where to put all my junk for the day or two it takes.

nice but very $$$$$, if you got the $$$ DO IT !!!! get a guarantee from a reputable installer. best done on a new unsoiled floor after concrete is properly cured!!

Looking forward to the garage glamour shots with the Corolla :cool:

It's still wet but I made sure to get the Corolla in the shot just for you. Ignore that Scat Pack Charger in the background, who would want that when you could have a Corolla? :ROFLMAO:

Ip7NnLB.jpg

If I had to do it again, PPG Aquapon would be my pick. I’ve been disappointed with Rust-Oleum’s garage floor paint. Sherwin-Williams does make a 2K concrete floor urethane as well.

If I had to do it again, PPG Aquapon would be my pick. I’ve been disappointed with Rust-Oleum’s garage floor paint. Sherwin-Williams does make a 2K concrete floor urethane as well.

I DIY'd a few years ago on another house. Acid etched the floor and used PPG Aquapon...it peeled within a year where the tire traffic was.

I DIY'd a few years ago on another house. Acid etched the floor and used PPG Aquapon...it peeled within a year where the tire traffic was.
Yea, I’m seeing the same thing with Rust-Oleum myself. We used the solvent-based stuff.

Behr used to sell a 2K waterborne epoxy. As much as I bash Behr, for a mass-market paint I’d rather use them over Valspar(which is Sherwin-Williams, Valspar used to be only at Ace but SW wanted a piece of the big-box pie against Home Depot’s Behr - hence why Valspar is only at Lowe’s and Benjamin Moore is at Ace[and Ace’s Royal/Clark & Kensington are made by Ben Moore]). Kilz paints and primers are basically Behr with a different label for sale outside of Home Depot. From what I’ve read on PaintTalk and Reddit, SW is in bed with Lowe’s and screwing over their corporate stores.

I used Behr’s 1K epoxy on a garage floor that doesn’t see cars with good results.

Last edited:
Yea, I’m seeing the same thing with Rust-Oleum myself. We used the solvent-based stuff.

Behr used to sell a 2K waterborne epoxy. As much as I bash Behr, for a mass-market paint I’d rather use them over Valspar(which is Sherwin-Williams, Valspar used to be only at Ace but SW wanted a piece of the big-box pie against Home Depot’s Behr - hence why Valspar is only at Lowe’s and Benjamin Moore is at Ace[and Ace’s Royal/Clark & Kensington are made by Ben Moore]). Kilz paints and primers are basically Behr with a different label for sale outside of Home Depot.

I used Behr’s 1K epoxy on a garage floor that doesn’t see cars with good results.

We'll see how this holds up, I was hesitant to paint it because previous DIY efforts didn't work out but we had a spill that necessitated it. Pro trip - if you have a bottle of wine in one of those crappy grocery store plastic bags don't carry it by the handles. (I didn't do this) and it permanently stained the concrete.

nGPooZ0.jpg

Yea, tannins and silicone are the two painter’s banes. Only thing you can really do is shot blast or grind your concrete. My experience with primers on concrete floors is Behr’s 1K bonding primer which dries clear. PPG, SW and a few others call for a specific primer for their systems - you’d want a tone close to the topcoat.

Back