Garage find - O'l Red! Meet the Garden Tractor (GT)

I've got an earlier version of the gt 5000, a 1999. Its been a pretty reliable garden tractor. I did have an odd belt failure that bent a handful of things. I was able to find those parts thru a local Huskvarna shop, they shared models with Sears. Good luck with your find !

Kohler filters are usually way overpriced. Plain old Fram 3614 will fit and work fine.
Brother uses Tough Guard but I prefer the XG and change every other year.

My 2¢

Update: Today was productive! It is now currently running and all the new parts are installed successfully, here is a quick video!

I had a couple different things i did not expect to pop up such as the electronic fuel shut off valve on the carburetor being stuck and causing a no run, (but would run on starting fluid). so i cleaned it again, and again, until it worked, and the starter only spinning, and not engaging the fly wheel, some WD-40 and a few taps of the hammer later, and starter works perfectly. I still need to put everything back together, and tie up loose ends, but that's a tomorrow job, and another update lol.

Kohler filters are usually way overpriced. Plain old Fram 3614 will fit and work fine.
Brother uses Tough Guard but I prefer the XG and change every other year.

My 2¢
This is good info to know, and yeah the Kholer Pro filters are pretty expensive. When i change in a couple hours of running time, i will use a 3614. thanks.

I think my neighbor has this model. He was bringing a yard roller over one day and while we were BS’ing for a few mins in the driveway, I noticed a huge oil leak.

Apparently the dipstick had worked its way loose? Something to keep an eye on as it made a huge mess and lost a lot of oil.

UPDATE: It is fully assembled and it runs absolutely fantastic!!! Here are a couple videos. The high low was frozen in low, but after a mile of driving on the road, it un stuck, and now shifts beautifully in between high and low gears.. It idles really nice, has great power, and starts within 1/2 second with a little choke, even in 7 degree weather!! Really feeling great about this project!, and can not wait to use it to it full potential.. In the video there like a metal vibration noise but it's because I don't have a deck on and it's a lift mechanism that is vibrating.

IMG_0189 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Is that a sealed trans. IE no oil in it ? My 14hp single BS '95 has the 5 speed trans that's sealed. Was a Sears tech for 46 yrs. and the guys in the mower shop advised me to drill/tap a grease fitting into the case and pump some grease in occasionally. Seems factory fill grease dries out/gets hard causing trans. failures and per them doing that they never go bad. Mine gets a few pumps of M1 twice a year and it's survived mowing and abusive snow plowing all this time. It's now on mow only at my camp since last year.

Very cool find!! I would have grabbed that one up in a heartbeat to fix up as well. I haven't really been look'n lately.

My inlaws had the same GT, just with green paint. They're a nice machine, but I hated mowing with it. The top gear is too fast and the next one down is too slow. Plus if you are a taller/bigger guy, they are cramped once you are in the seat. There's had the 48" deck IIRC and I could never get it set to cut as cleanly as our other mowers.

I forget what year they stopped making this particular GT with the dual range, between the knees shift gearbox, but I want to say it was around 2008.

Is that a sealed trans. IE no oil in it ? My 14hp single BS '95 has the 5 speed trans that's sealed. Was a Sears tech for 46 yrs. and the guys in the mower shop advised me to drill/tap a grease fitting into the case and pump some grease in occasionally. Seems factory fill grease dries out/gets hard causing trans. failures and per them doing that they never go bad. Mine gets a few pumps of M1 twice a year and it's survived mowing and abusive snow plowing all this time. It's now on mow only at my camp since last year.
I do believe there is a fill port and drain port for 10 W 50 from what I recall

So what size battery did you use: 230 or 300 CCA?
The local Walmart only had the 230 version not the 300 But it started actually and in 5° weather without too much of a issue. I’m sure if it didn’t start fast it would run down quick though.

I love these threads. Nice job man!
Thanks! 🙏

Also Here is full throttle rpm and idle rpm. idle seems good what about the full throttle?
The battery is not actually discharging but the wires were reversed going to it - that has been addressed.
7E17A69F-9FF2-4AD6-816E-C01FB8714E4C.jpeg

E835482F-8C8D-4A06-BC0E-8413EFE723BB.jpeg

I think I found the manual for it, it doesn’t give the exact rpm it’s supposed to run at at full throttle but it does say the charging system is rated for 15A@3600rpm.

I do believe there is a fill port and drain port for 10 W 50 from what I recall

There sure is. I believe you have to pop the left rear wheel off to gain access to the fill plug on the transaxle. They hold over a gallon of oil.

The local Walmart only had the 230 version not the 300 But it started actually and in 5° weather without too much of a issue. I’m sure if it didn’t start fast it would run down quick though.
My John Deere D140 with 22 HP Briggs V-Twin came with a 195 CCA battery. That one lasted four years in spite of having been stored in an unheated out building. It has since put in three seasons using that same 230 CCA Walmart battery that you installed. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

The battery started it right up yesterday -8 F, so i will use it until it does not start it easy, then will upgrade to the 300 CCA one. I will be using LEDS for the headlights, as its a couple watts total vs the halogens 40+ watts that are installed, so that should take some load off the charging system when i do use them.
I'm going to pick up some synthetic transmission fluid, change that out and probably change the oil and filter again in a couple hours. I will also order all belts and blades and maybe adjust the high RPM governor a few hundred RPMs upwards.

oh boy... helppppp i'm leaking, and leaking alot of oil.. I was using it, for about 25 mins, and all of a sudden it started smoking, and by the time i stopped, and turned off the motor, i had a massive puddle of synthetic 10W30 on the ground, and all over the bottom half of the engine behind carb. 😭 Where, and what should i start looking at? Im thinking a gasket blew or something, but not positive. Engine is Kohler V Twin 25 Hp.. thanks.
IMG_0257.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg

oh boy... helppppp i'm leaking, and leaking alot of oil.. I was using it, for about 25 mins, and all of a sudden it started smoking, and by the time i stopped, and turned off the motor, i had a massive puddle of synthetic 10W30 on the ground, and all over the bottom half of the engine behind carb. 😭 Where, and what should i start looking at? Im thinking a gasket blew or something, but not positive. Engine is Kohler V Twin 25 Hp.. thanks. View attachment 86513View attachment 86514View attachment 86515
I'd start here, but after watching a few videos, I'm thinking head gasket.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kohler+v-twin+oil+leak

Update on this. I looked it over again, and it appears oil is gushing out of the governor shaft seal area when running.. it looks kind of involved to replace but I'm not against doing it I just need to make sure I have all the necessary gaskets when I tear this apart. Do I need to remove the engine from the tractor or can I just work on it inside the frame? I'll do the head gaskets also they were on my list because they are known to blow. I will have to dig a little further into it to really get a idea.. Thanks!.
IMG_0261.jpeg
Kohler Engine.jpeg
Kohler spec.jpg

Back