Garage Find- Ancient Simonize

Greetings-
Found an almost full yellow can simonize carnauba paste wax . Codes suggest 1983. Says its for fine furniture, cars, and floors. Appears well preserved and still smells "chemically". Is this stuff safe to use on modern finishes? I won't use it because its just too hard to use, but does it protect better than the modern sealants/waxes ? Just curious...

One word, NO.

A lot of advances have been made in almost 40 years. Simoniz has sentimental value so I would not use it but keep it as memorabilia.
I am not sure why anyone would want to keep old wax products as memorabilia?

although ... I do have a RED rubbing compound and Green polish Simoniz from the late 80's myself... :LOL:

Greetings-
Found an almost full yellow can simonize carnauba paste wax . Codes suggest 1983. Says its for fine furniture, cars, and floors. Appears well preserved and still smells "chemically". Is this stuff safe to use on modern finishes? I won't use it because its just too hard to use, but does it protect better than the modern sealants/waxes ? Just curious...
Safe? I can't see any ingredients that would harm any paint *enamel or even *lacquer(*old school) and new finishes would also work. It likely would not last as long and perhaps harder to do the application correctly when comparing available like products and most likely will not last as long but for I am sure will give the same finish as even the most expensive polis available today?

I will say I have NOT looked on the internet to verify with empirical data and information what I have said, but I deal with a couple of suppliers/manufactures of professional car care products (because in CA) and we have talked about the comparison of products from the 70's all the way through to present and never once did it ever come up that polishes from even the 70's would Harm modern paint?

Never the less one would ask why use it? You can go to a grocery store and purchase top of the line polishes. Cheap$. LOL

It's just Carnauba wax. It's safe to use on anything, and will provide a very good quality finish. Keep in mind that even Griots "best in show" wax is simply Carnauba wax, thinned for ease of application.

Some of the solvents for the wax may have gassed off over the years. I'd not try to use it.

I agree. Even with the solvents intact this product was difficult to work with. Remember, we didn’t have the plethora of brands of waxes we do now.

And for those wondering, yes I have used it. I also made a huge mistake in waxing the family Chevy with it way back in the 60’s and then having lunch while it dried. One way to build muscles.

You will get far more protection and durability from a modern spray ceramic based product now than with Simoniz and with far less effort to boot.

Use it to entertain yourself by waxing small wooden items and bicycles. As stated, apply it to a vehicle and you'll be rubbing wax worms and dried glue around for hours and hours....then have to resort to a solvent.

I am not sure why anyone would want to keep old wax products as memorabilia?

although ... I do have a RED rubbing compound and Green polish Simoniz from the late 80's myself... :LOL:
Me too! I didn't mention it but I also found the red and the green products in the box with the wax. LOL
Tried the polishing compound on the headlights and it worked great getting the yellow gunk off. Crystal clear now

Use it to entertain yourself by waxing small wooden items and bicycles. As stated, apply it to a vehicle and you'll be rubbing wax worms and dried glue around for hours and hours....then have to resort to a solvent.
Eh...Nothing a little spritz of WD40 and some elbow grease won't remove!

Soooo, I have a full container of old school Simoniz. It's a bit cracked, but smelled good and looked fine. I just could not stand it, I had to try a comparison. I tried it on the recently corrected and perfect hood of my black F150 in a 1 foot section. Then tried Griots "best in show" carnauba wax along side the Simoniz. I could clearly see a line between the two. Although, I did not find the Simoniz all that difficult to use. Wax on, wax off.

The Simoniz looked OK, with that classic wax feel as the buffing towel slides over the surface. The Griots "best in show" carnauba wax looked inky black and wet, with an ultra slick feel. This is not just a big difference, quite simply, I was amazed at just how much better the Griots was. But even more interestingly, the Griots is still slick and beading like crazy some time later. The Simoniz is already starting to fail.

And the best one yet is the Griots spray 3 in 1 Ceramic Wax. It rules the comparison, with a slick surface that holds up and it's silly easy to apply. Spray and wipe.

Keep in mind, this is in August in Florida, where the sun heats the black paint to temperatures too high to mention :)

Greetings-
Even if it is still good, paints have changed significantly since 1983 and products have been modified to keep up. Keep it on the shelf.

Back