Garage door won't open- Wife said she heard a loud noise last night- this is what I found

Have a professional do it. This isn't asking "what the best oil?". Coils can be dangerous and while some say they've done it twice, that doesn't mean they know all of the variables or situations that could pop up. Then what? Don't overestimate your abilities simply for pride sake. That's how stupid people get hurt.

we went thru that 2 mnts ago; its not that hard but the tension is for real; got to be very careful when installing it; also the door is very heavy for a one person

we paid someone else to fix it

Happened to me as well. Garage door tech said biggest reason for breakage was lack of lubricating the springs.

Engine oil in a squirt can is fine.

I use Krown undercoating in a spray can, fall and winter.

For car stuff I'm all DIY. For most house stuff I'm DIY except for anything involving gas. Garage door springs no question, I'm calling somebody. Last time I had it done it was $250 much less than my medical deductible. I only have 1 arm so I'd like to keep it. The company I used come out every year and does a "tune up" for $20 bucks. I know a lot of folk would diy that but the spring install comes with a warranty so I dont mind.

Happened to me last week, called a garage door service. I have a friend who lost a finger trying to replace a garage door spring.

I firmly believe a DIYer's best skill is knowing what NOT to tackle.

GON, with everything you post you have the skill to replace one of these springs. It's not bomb disposal or handling nuclear waste. Yes there's a lot of energy in the springs so you have to think about what you're doing and be deliberate. Yeah I'm one of those guys who hired it done once and said I can do that and when another spring broke I did and lived. I'll bet where most people get in trouble is not using the right tools to wind up the spring. I bought some steel rod the diameter of the holes in the adjuster cones and long enough to give good leverage, not a big screwdriver or whatever I could find in the toolbox. You can buy winding rods (I didn't know that). I think it's safest to have the cars out of the garage, if it would get away from you at least you don't damage a car. And it was mentioned about that torsion springs need to be lubed at least every 6 months.

Springs are rated by duty cycle, 10,000 or 20,000 etc so you can probably upgrade if you want.

All that said, having a garage door guy fix it is the smart money.

Using a table saw makes me more nervous than changing a spring did. Probably because dad cut off a finger on his.

I would probably have a door guy replace it. They can do it fast. I do have the steel rods, and i've adjusted mine. But if it breaks, i'm just paying to have it done quick.

Have this done professionally. Too dangerous to DIY! If you have 2 springs on a single door replace both springs.

When mine failed I had 3 estimates $250 - $500. Apparently the $500 people do a good job but find many additional cost things to do while they're at your house too. And offer to come back regularly to do even more.

The $250 people did a very good job and put a badly needed extra handle on our other door while they were here too - for nothing.

I have done the springs before and they are not that hard, that being said recommend to just pay the guy and have heavy duty springs installed. Cheaper than an emergency room visit.

My parents garage had those style springs. When I was younger my dad and I were leaving the garage and hit the button to close it, as soon as the door touched the ground one of the springs snapped and ripped a hole in the ceiling!
The really old springs don't have a wire in them to stop them from doing that. The newer springs have a wire in them so when they snap, the spring doesn't go everywhere. If your old springs don't have the wire running through it, you should have that retrofitted. I still see old houses that don't have that wire in the spring and that always gets called out on a home inspection.

Thinking back on doing mine, it’s amazing that a tiny set screw can get enough bite on the bar to hold all that tension. Yeah, pay someone!

The job itself really is not that hard, especially if you purchase springs with the proper "tools" needed to wind it up.

One thing of note, you can purchase larger diameter wire springs (they end up being longer) for MUCH longer spring life.
Years back in NV an installer was tightening a spring with a screwdriver. It broke and it dug into his arm pulling part of his muscle out when the spring released. This was more than 40 years ago. I don’t know if that was standard practice or if he was negligent.
I would let a pro do it.

This happened to me about 10-12 yrs ago. Had a heck of a time getting the door open when it did. I had a coupon, and called a local professional. They always replace both. It was <$200. I'm sure it's about double now -- like everything else.

The really old springs don't have a wire in them to stop them from doing that. The newer springs have a wire in them so when they snap, the spring doesn't go everywhere. If your old springs don't have the wire running through it, you should have that retrofitted. I still see old houses that don't have that wire in the spring and that always gets called out on a home inspection.

We had an extension spring break in a 1963 build house that didn't have the safety wires, luckily it dropped straight down beside the fairly new car without touching it. If you have extension springs check for a wire running through the center.

This is not dangerous, it's a simple DIY fix. The only special tool you need are a pair of winding rods, they're like $12 for a pair on Amazon. Watch this guy wind the spring and tell me OP can't handle it.

Happened to me as well. Garage door tech said biggest reason for breakage was lack of lubricating the springs.

Engine oil in a squirt can is fine.

I use Krown undercoating in a spray can, fall and winter.
I figured it was probably either rust or a flaw in the spring. I mixed grease with gasoline (to thin it), and coated mine, left door open to dry for a day. I'd tried rattle can grease before but that's far more expensive and by the time I got the whole thing done, it was less fluid and didn't work itself down in as well from operating the door. I just use an old rag to wipe on the grease/gas mix.

Back