Game changer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Looks legit....

Fiber pistons would be directly exposed to combustion temperatures , and what ever shock / turbulence is present . Do not know how that would turn out

Originally Posted by meep
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by demarpaint
If I had to guess, my guess will be they fail. But I could be wrong..

I can see these being very strong in tension....but then again, so is a steel cable.

As far as handling compression loads? I have my doubts. Serious doubts.

I don't think the designer has a "stress analysis" background.

Lots of software out there does this surprisingly easily ... I think solidworks is pretty readily available even. And really, which loads are the hardest on rods? High RPM unloading is from what I understand stresses them the most. But yeah - carbon fiber? Fatigue after many hot/cold cycles? Tolerance of chemicals and bi-products? It has to melt to be spat out of the print nozzle, after all, so there's a limit to the fiber length... it'll be neat to see if this catches on. Half of the piston weight could then be removed with similar tech - that'd be a light assembly!

my idea is that it will carry a lot of oil with it. and that material change shape when it gets hot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by red7404
my idea is that it will carry a lot of oil with it. and that material change shape when it gets hot.

That, and how hot will the pistons stay? I don't think much heat will be transferred away from the piston, they will get hotter. They better test a bit of detonation too, in case they shatter under that kind of event.

Shedding that much rotational mass, won't that require an adjustment to the flywheel weight?

How does this even help? If you want to reduce rotational mass, reduce/eliminate the flywheel. That is, if you can. But there are reasons why flywheels exist, ie: to facilitate an impulse response function of the overall system that doesn't go overly nuts and cause components to exceed limits due to torsional stresses.

Until the flywheel has been eliminated, there's really not a lot to be gained, IMHO, from going to lighter pistons unless there's other systemic modifications to the block that need to be optimized accordingly. But as a retrofit, I just don't see what you gain here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back