G32 Gen4 - New EDC Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up what will be my new EDC last night and put 100 rounds through it. There were no hangups with the Remington .357 SIG 125-grain FMJ ammo (as expected).

My EDC weapons for the last 2 years has been the Sig P938, but I've recently had a couple of problems with that gun, which I'll post another thread about.

In any case, the Glock 19/23/32 series of handguns offers a combination of features that's not available in any other pistol: Size, capacity, barrel and magazine interchangeability, and reliability and durability don't even need to be mentioned.

Another big reason for my choosing the G32 is the Underwood Ammunition, which duplicates the ballistics of the famous 125-grain .357 Magnum load from a 4" barrel revolver.

Ballistics test showing 1500+ FPS 5-shot average from a Glock 32:

https://youtu.be/ughIFOrIP_w

Here's a photo of my best grouping last night - 11 shots out of a 13-round magazine within 2.5" at 12 yards (36 feet):

The Gen4 comes with 3 13-round mags. The LGS also had a 22-rounder, so I went ahead and picked that up. Of course, the gun also accepts the 15-rounders from the G31 full-size.

I'm looking forward to modding the gun to my preferences. I already have a Lone Wolf .40 S&W barrel on the way (std. Length) and 140 rounds of the Underwood 125-grain with the Speer Gold Dot BJHP, which will be my EDC load (after verification of function).

Next will be a set of the Tru-Glo fiber optic/tritium sights, some Talon Grips and an aftermarket trigger, since my Dan Wesson 1911 and Browning Hi Power have spoiled me in the trigger department.

My favorite caliber. And favorite gun. I use regular Gold Dots.

The nuclear options (Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc) do not have nearly the same quality control as Speer. Plus the bullets are designed for a certain velocity window, which are obviously far exceeded.

Last edited:
There's no way I'd use a lone wolf barrel for any SD gun. The only reason to use them is if you want to use lead bullets that the stock barrel doesn't like.

I would recommend looking at federal hst if you want to experiment, they are my favorite.

Did you have guide rod issue with the 938? Or maybe the buildup under the grip problem?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
My favorite caliber. And favorite gun. I use regular Gold Dots.

The nuclear options (Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc) do not have nearly the same quality control as Speer. Plus the bullets are designed for a certain velocity window, which are obviously far exceeded.

I've shot a few hundred rounds of Underwood and never had a single problem. Got any evidence to back up that claim? Underwood knows that people use this ammunition for self defense. They even go so far as to use nickel-plated brass cases. I have no reason to believe it's any less reliable than Speer, Federal, Hornady, Winchester, et al.

And as far as the velocity goes, Underwood is just loading .357 SIG back to its original target velocity when the round was conceived by Sig, which is 1450 FPS. That's the advertised velocity of the Underwood stuff; instead of over-promising and under-delivering like the larger factories, they make sure it at least lives up to what they claim. 50 FPS isn't that much difference; usually that small an increase can be achieved with an additional inch of barrel length.

As for the bullets, they've done fine in the FBI protocol ballistic gel tests I've seen tnoutdoors9 do. No jacket separation or shedding of petals...perfect performance.

I have complete confidence in Underwood until I have any reason not to.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There's no way I'd use a lone wolf barrel for any SD gun. The only reason to use them is if you want to use lead bullets that the stock barrel doesn't like.

I would recommend looking at federal hst if you want to experiment, they are my favorite.

Did you have guide rod issue with the 938? Or maybe the buildup under the grip problem?

Well, first of all, I ordered the .40-cal Lone Wolf barrel for range use, as my plan has always been to carry .357. Otherwise I could have just bought a G23. But, if it proves reliable, I'd have no qualms about putting it in a self defense role.

I'm very familiar with HST - in fact, that's what I'm carrying in my G36. Talk about flying ashtrays!

Oh, and you can shoot lead bullets in stock Glock barrels as long as you don't let the lead build up.

Yeah, the 2 piece guide rod started coming unscrewed, and Sig sent me a new one. I have no doubt it will eventually come back unscrewed. Not a huge problem, as it could be loose and not come all the way unscrewed until I shot a box or 2 of ammunition. But then, last time I shot it, I had another problem - the trigger wouldn't reset, about once every few rounds. It would just stick in the aft position. I cleaned it really well, hosed it out with gun scrubber, and blew out with compressed air in case some unburned powder or something got in there and was interfering with the mechanism. We'll see how it does next range trip, but for now I'm carrying my G36, which has always been absolutely reliable, even since I crashed my motorcycle while wearing it and it skidded down the road at 50 mph.

Underwood was somewhat interesting when they started out. Sold 50 round boxes of specialty, high performance ammo for reasonable prices. They've since dropped most of the 50 round boxes so they can charge $.90/rd and up for ammo. No thanks. And then this Xtreme stuff for silly money.

I've bought a lot of ammo from SG Ammo in Stillwater, OK. Most recently, 1,000 rounds of Federal 124g 9mm HST. They've got good prices on .357 SiG as well. .50/round for Gold Dot.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/357-sig-am...oint-ammo-54234

By the way, that's a really nice pistol you've bought. I've got several Glocks. I value them for ergonomics and reliability. That size (same as the G19 and the G23 that I've got) is a great balance between size and capacity.

Last edited:
That's what I was talking about, the buildup under the left side of the grip interferes with the trigger bar, you aways want to take the grip off and check it at least every other field strip

My ears hurt just looking at it. Blast and noise are extreme on these guns. Unless you are firing at vehicles or barriers, I'm not sure what advantage .357 Sig has over typ. 9mm.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
My ears hurt just looking at it. Blast and noise are extreme on these guns. Unless you are firing at vehicles or barriers, I'm not sure what advantage .357 Sig has over typ. 9mm.
How do you know you won't be shooting at vehicles or barriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back