G-Oil versus NextGen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question -

If you were going to select ONLY between Green Earth's G-Oil or Valvoline NextGen, which would you choose, and why?

Valvoline. Large, reputable company with lots to lose if selling a bad product. Green Earth can close the doors if too many issues from their product.

Green Earth is just a micro cap company with a bulletin board stock listing. A couple of losing lawsuits over bad oil causing engine problems and they will be history.

G-Oil. It will be the next oil I put in my '99 Crown Vic PI.

They are the first company to my knowledge to bring a somewhat esoteric notion of green-ness and sustainability down to the level of the working man in a no compromise product. G-Oil is competitively priced with other synthetic oils available on the market and uses no crude oil to do it. And it is readily available at Wal-Mart.

Most technologies that purport to remove crude oil and other politically and environmentally worrisome products from the equation are perpetually 5 years down the road.

G-Oil is here, now.

I'd stick with the established company and pass on the possible Flash In The Oil Pan company.

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
G-Oil. It will be the next oil I put in my '99 Crown Vic PI.

They are the first company to my knowledge to bring a somewhat esoteric notion of green-ness and sustainability down to the level of the working man in a no compromise product. G-Oil is competitively priced with other synthetic oils available on the market and uses no crude oil to do it. And it is readily available at Wal-Mart.

Most technologies that purport to remove crude oil and other politically and environmentally worrisome products from the equation are perpetually 5 years down the road.

G-Oil is here, now.
The real issue is does the oil work? But then better you try it than me then if it works post the results.

Not really comparable products - other being a API certified product in same service category. Like comparing PYB to PU. As for which lubricant is greener - that would take a lot of calculus and to what net effect? A moot point and not a world changer. That said, I take some risks wit oil in my sump - but I would be hesitant to run the GET oil as Ive seen no strong incidental guarantee from GET (other than refunding purchase costs). I have no inclination or incentive to run valvoline.

They're not really comparable. NextGen comes in conventional and semi-synthetic, while G-Oil is only full synthetic (and thus more expensive).

G-Oil is marketing eco-greenie.... truth is unknown! Marketing is meaningless.

All synthetics tend to be more biodegradable. My driveway spillage is proof of that, as you can't see ANY of the synth stains, but I can find and show you the mineral oil ones.

G-Oil is labelled a full synthetic. Whether you believe it to be 100% animal fat ester or not is irrelevant. I don't! I have a feeling that it is a GroupIII or IV, blended with the pork/beef/chicken ester, making it not much different then ANY other full synthetic oil blender using off the shelf additive package containing ester friction modifiers, seal conditioners, or VII/VMs.

I can add a couple ounces of Lubegard(LXE), Autorx(Lanolin), HyperLube(Jojoba), Wynn's +Supreme+(Jojoba), S9 Biotech(coconut)... and call my sump GREEN too! Peace brotha!

Between Valvoline NextGen and G-oil, I'd take a full synth 1st ALWAYS. G-oil wins!

Gotta go. Need to push the 'organic toxic chemicals' to the masses. How about organic hydrogenated oil? Please leave a stick of margarine outside and see how well it does biodegrading!

Marketing is meaningless.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not really comparable products - other being a API certified product in same service category. Like comparing PYB to PU. As for which lubricant is greener - that would take a lot of calculus and to what net effect? A moot point and not a world changer. That said, I take some risks wit oil in my sump - but I would be hesitant to run the GET oil as Ive seen no strong incidental guarantee from GET (other than refunding purchase costs). I have no inclination or incentive to run valvoline.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
They're not really comparable. NextGen comes in conventional and semi-synthetic, while G-Oil is only full synthetic (and thus more expensive).

I never intended to imply they were comparable. I'm simply wanting to know which of this new batch of oils (no pun intended) is the wave of the future. Which will be more popular. Which is better for my engine. Certainly, as a general rule of thumb, synthetics will always win out for better protection, etc. However, I've noticed the G-Oil's are still labeled as "SM", whereas the Valvoline NextGen is "SN". Is G-Oil unable to make "SN"? Were they just late to the party? I'm not after any implications debating the comparisons of synthtetic versus mineral. Heck, I don't even know if a bio-based synthetic is truly better than a re-refined mineral oil. That's why I'm asking what other people's opinion of the two are.

I was looking at some of the information about their stock and in reading their "10-Q" one of the things they mentioned is that they spent some money in order to obtain the API SN rating, so apparently they're going to get it.

"The increase from fiscal 2009 to 2010 in development, product release and testing is primarily due to the initial independent testing fees to obtain the SN rating from the American Petroleum Institute (API) for our 5W-30 motor oil."

The G-Oil is probably, at worst, a good oil, but has the potential to be a superior oil. Until we get back some reports from people, it's really an unknown quantity. It's worth the (after rebate) $13 to try it out. Is it worth the $26 full price? Stay tuned....

I've got almost 1,000 miles on my trial run, still looking good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back