FWIW: VW Passat VR6, OEM VW versus Hengst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks:

For our 2016 VW Passat VR6, a comparison of two oil filters. One is a VW dealer bought OEM filter. Cartridge has twisted pleats, and the pleats are spaced slightly irregularly. Made in China.

The other is a Hengst that I bought online (I've used Hengst on our BMWs since they were new). Cartridge has nice straight, evenly spaced pleats. Made in China.

FWIW,

Scott

VW 1.jpeg

VW 2.jpeg

VW 3.jpeg

VW 4.jpeg

H 1.jpeg

H 2.jpeg

H 3.jpeg

H 4.jpeg

No question the Hengst is the nicer looking filter. How much that makes a difference is debatable.

^ Yes its better looking but I think both are usable. I use wavy media French made Perflux a lot for some engines if its available.

The waves are likely due to some some compression of the media so it would surely be bedded when the encaps were overmolded.

Maybe the wavy one would be more resistant to media retracting from the endcaps than the straight pleats.

I don't think there is anything to worry about. I see no functional issue.

curious How does the cap - to - cap height compare though ?

Last edited:
I've recently used that VW PN and it was a Hengst with the same VW part marking on yours, made in Germany. VW aftermarket sourcing is highly dynamic.

The picture on Amazon of the VW made China. has the same bent pleats as shown here. Almost looks as if the media is cut a bit long. What about Premium Guard? They look good in the pictures, where are they made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back