Furnace would stop and take a while to restart/ needed a flame sensor $425.00?

Ok so the 12 year old Lennox furnace was stopping and taking too long to start yesterday and a couple times before that time. So, I filled out a form online that the original installer had. I input my name, address, phone number and email. Within 2 minutes I got a call and they said a repairman could come out at 2:00 which was fine. This is the same company that installed the Lennox furnace and new air conditoner unit and A-coil. The man came out and within an hour he replaced the flame sensor for the tune of $425.00 which I thought was quite high since I have been a long time customer I felt I was over charged by at least $100 to $225.00. The flames sensor is about $10 to $20 and is an easy install. Anyone else think this was too high?

Was it expensive, sure. But at the same time the guy was there within a few hours and got the furnace working again.

A basic call out is going to be probably $150 just to show up. Then he probably charged you an hour (the minimum), plus the part, and maybe some cleaning/basic servicing.

You were politely hosed. I had a flame sensor replaced in 2013. Service call was $75 and the sensor was $14
Inflation is not that bad. It was a Carrier
I agree I think I was politely hosed too since I have done business with this company for over 20 years and they were the ones who installed the unit brand new. Plus, it wasn't an emergency it was a call to come out when you can. Next time I am going to work with a better company.

The flame sensor probably could have been just cleaned. It is just a rod. Not much to go wrong with it other than getting dirty and is a common issue... I would have expected around $300-325 since they bill a trip charge and flat rate for a flame sensor.. I hope you watched so you could do it again a couple years because you can do it yourself.. Price is high but what isn't these days.
I would get your furnace cleaned and checked atleast every two years to avoid unexpected repairs as this could have been nipped in the bud..

Last edited:
Seems just a little on the high side. Would have expected about 350 ish.
Yes that is what I thought too and that would have been better than $425.00 that's for sure. They didn't vacuum it out or clean it or anything. I had the same company clean the air conditioner vents last year and they guy looked at the furnace and said it was one of the cleanest he has ever seen. I guess some companies do not want repeat customers.

The flame sensor probably could have been just cleaned. It is just a rod. Not much to go wrong with it. Your charges are mostly labor. Trip charge plus a flat fee to R&R the flame sensor. I hope you watched so you could do it again a couple years.
I didn't want to look over his shoulder and make him nervous however I put a note on the furnace to replace it in about 8 years instead of 12 years. I will U tube how to replace it. The guy did say that you have to turn off the power and the pilot flame then there are 4 screws to take off a cover then 1 screw for the flame sensor. Much easier than a brake job or changing oil.

These threads are always a little bit unfair because nobody account for diagnostics. After the problem is diagnosed it becomes "oh it's a $20 part this bill is way too much," but the guy had to spend some time figuring out the problem. Otherwise if they just change what it "should be" (aka parts cannon) it doesn't get fixed half the time and now the customer is really unhappy.

If you know where it is then its easy to pull it, clean with a little emory cloth and reinstall. If you have an HVAC buddy, ask him to give you a short list of parts or sensors to have on hand. Find them when you can. I recently had mine go out.

My tech was straight forward and told me he hoped he could clean the part because there were none to be found anywhere. You may have been charged accordingly due to replacement costs. My unit is about 12 years old and just as clean.

I didn't want to look over his shoulder and make him nervous however I put a note on the furnace to replace it in about 8 years instead of 12 years. I will U tube how to replace it. The guy did say that you have to turn off the power and the pilot flame then there are 4 screws to take off a cover then 1 screw for the flame sensor. Much easier than a brake job or changing oil.
Just be sneaky about it and chat while you observe. That's how you learn.
The sensor should be cleaned about every two years. You will be lucky to go 8 years without cleaning it. 12 years is a gift from Heaven.

The flame sensor probably could have been just cleaned. It is just a rod. Not much to go wrong with it other than getting dirty and is a common issue... I would have expected around $300-325 since they bill a trip charge and flat rate for a flame sensor.. I hope you watched so you could do it again a couple years because you can do it yourself
Exactly ⬆️

The same technology is used for my water heater, so that lesson has come in handy many times, for me to get the water heater to kick on.

Recently posted:

These threads are always a little bit unfair because nobody account for diagnostics. After the problem is diagnosed it becomes "oh it's a $20 part this bill is way too much," but the guy had to spend some time figuring out the problem. Otherwise if they just change what it "should be" (aka parts cannon) it doesn't get fixed half the time and now the customer is really unhappy.

Flame sensor diagnostics:

1)Find the blinky red light
2)Count how many times the blinky red light blinks
3)Refer to the chart to find out what that number of blinks means is wrong

Did you watch how he did it? Learn how to do it next time, hopefully.
Did you keep the old one? If yes, sand it lightly to clean it and keep it as spare.

Otherwise, there are a lot of Youtube video on how to do it.
If you don't want to do it next time, start finding an owner operated company, they are usually cheaper since there is less overhead.

Be glad you have a company who is willing to come out. In my community (rural area) it is a miracle if you can get a service call at any price. Guys who do work in my area don't seem to stay in business long. If you can get someone it is a sure bet he will not be the same guy you get the next time and it will be a high bill.

You paid for their trip charge, diagnosis, and part + installation. You have heat.

Was it on the steep side ? IMO, yeah. I can see $150 for the trip and presumably the diagnosis was simple, so add $50 for the part and it's all done within ~1 hour service call, add a little extra for them and $250 seems okay.

Flame sensor diagnostics:

1)Find the blinky red light
2)Count how many times the blinky red light blinks
3)Refer to the chart to find out what that number of blinks means is wrong

So if it is that easy, DIY?

I've changed the flame sensor in my furnace twice, including once last week. It's dead simple. However I've also paid $680 for a guy to come on a weekend and change my garage door springs which took him like 45 minutes. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes time is more important, especially when it comes to heating your home in the winter.

Ok so the 12 year old Lennox furnace was stopping and taking too long to start yesterday and a couple times before that time. So, I filled out a form online that the original installer had. I input my name, address, phone number and email. Within 2 minutes I got a call and they said a repairman could come out at 2:00 which was fine. This is the same company that installed the Lennox furnace and new air conditoner unit and A-coil. The man came out and within an hour he replaced the flame sensor for the tune of $425.00 which I thought was quite high since I have been a long time customer I felt I was over charged by at least $100 to $225.00. The flames sensor is about $10 to $20 and is an easy install. Anyone else think this was too high?
You paid 15 bucks for the part, 300 for the knowledge to fix it and 110 for their taxes

Back