Furnace filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of great info, gives me something to stew about besides oil and car air filters. I'll go with whatever pleated $5 filter I can find.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Lots of great info, gives me something to stew about besides oil and car air filters. I'll go with whatever pleated $5 filter I can find.

In the $5 range, look no further than the 6th post on Page-1 of this thread from Samven. I've used the Nordic Pure MERV 7s for 3-4 years.
https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Pure-16x20x1-Pleated-16x20x1M7-6/dp/B005ESP9E0

Not much different than an oil thread.

Everybody explains what they use and why, then reports they've never had a problem. From the most expensive to the bargain basement stuff, nobody reports an actual oil related failure.

I normally use the $12 3M from Walmart, but in the summer I'll use the charcoal filter that's about $5 more. I know I could get more, but I usually toss them at 2 months. They're definitely starting to get pressed in.

I did find a DuPont brand at Aldi for $6. Didn't even know they had furnace filters. We'll see how it holds. Hopefully uneventful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by scurvy
Originally Posted by Lubener
Two different HVAC techs told me to run the cheap fiberglass filters and change them every month because it was more important to have good airflow which the high MERV filters restrict the airflow too much.

An HVAC tech told me exactly the same thing. Use the cheapo fiberglass filters, spray them with Pledge before installation and change every month during AC or forced air usage.

What does the pledge do?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Corollaman

In the $5 range, look no further than the 6th post on Page-1 of this thread from Samven. I've used the Nordic Pure MERV 7s for 3-4 years.
https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Pure-16x20x1-Pleated-16x20x1M7-6/dp/B005ESP9E0

Nice!

I'll get some of these. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Two different HVAC techs told me to run the cheap fiberglass filters and change them every month because it was more important to have good airflow which the high MERV filters restrict the airflow too much.

An HVAC tech told me exactly the same thing. Use the cheapo fiberglass filters, spray them with Pledge before installation and change every month during AC or forced air usage.

What does the pledge do?

I'm going to guess act like a dust tacky catch?

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by dlundblad

What does the pledge do?

I'm going to guess act like a dust tacky catch?

I don't know, but I do nothing with mine. MERV 6-8 from Wal-mart and motor on. I change them every 30 days.

The cheap fiberglass (green ones, 1 MERV?) let a lot of dust through and will clog the coil over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back