Fumoto valve and road debris incident

I've contemplated these drain fittings for the better part of 20 years. The closest I've come is a couple of the discontinued Fram Sure-Drains. I think I have another NOS one someplace.

One is on the Lumina, the other is on the Legend. The one on the Legend serves two purposes; 1) drain the oil, 2) to keep from having to R&R the plug from a stripped oil pan. I still have to R&R a drain plug and a 3-nut cap from the oil filter housing, so I still get a handful of hot oil.

I am not a fan of the Fumoto valve, but then again I have never used one. So there's that...
For ease of oil change services, I flat out love the MityVac.

That failure is certainly a one-in-a-bazillion occurance. Also great there was no engine damage!
Buy a lotto ticket, you are hot!
MityVacs are great but not all cars can use that method, most Euro vehicles are no problem.

MityVacs are great but not all cars can use that method, most Euro vehicles are no problem.
What would prevent a car from taking advantage of the MityVac and similar systems?

Tried on a Subaru. No go.
Same here. I once had a 2019 Toyota 86 with the FA20 engine. I was able to do top side oil extractions. I now have the FA24 turbo in my Outback. The 2 engines have the same block if I read correctly. I tried top side oil change on the first change. The tube will not go all the way down. My guess is that the 2.4 must have a larger pick up screen or a baffle in the way. But I can do top side extractions on the wifes Audi 2.0.

Don

As most have mentioned, just a freak accident. I’ve got one on my 2017 Accord Sport and use the plastic clip, never had an issue and hope I never do.

It does drain slower so no tools needed.

Last edited:
As most have mentioned, just a freak accident. I’ve got one on my 2017 Accord Sport and use the plastic clip, never had an issue and hope I never do.

It does drain slower so no tools needed.
I hope you don't either. However, with a standard drain plug, there's little need to hope, wish, pray, keep one's fingers crossed ...

True, most of the time most people have mostly good luck with them. It's the odd or unusual circumstance that causes problems and potential grief. Ex: several months ago I was pushed off the road by a careless driver, and to avoid an accident I ended up jumping a curbed divider strip in the road. My undercarriage suffered a minor scrape. Looking at it on the lift, had I been using a Fumoto or other valve, there may have been much greater damage. An unusual occurrence for sure, but only a minor inconvenience without the valve.

Direct Rejection's situation was one in a million (+/-), but it happened and he was lucky.

So, it's up to each of us to roll the dice. I am essentially a conservative and cautious person. I just don't like the odds, however small, especially considering what little benefit I'd gain from using the valve.

Same here. I once had a 2019 Toyota 86 with the FA20 engine. I was able to do top side oil extractions. I now have the FA24 turbo in my Outback. The 2 engines have the same block if I read correctly. I tried top side oil change on the first change. The tube will not go all the way down. My guess is that the 2.4 must have a larger pick up screen or a baffle in the way. But I can do top side extractions on the wifes Audi 2.0.

Don
The MityVac comes with 2 different size extraction tubes. I don't use the larger one any more. Sometimes you gotta fish around to get it inserted properly. I use the dipstick as a baseline. After it sucks air, I fish around a little more to get a more complete extraction.

It is possible that extraction might get more oil out if the plug is on the side of the pan, or on a raised spot on the bottom.

I think I heard that the extractor does not work on some Subies. I have done Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus and Nissan cars with good results.
Once I sucked the oil outta our GS350 and then pulled the drain plug to see what I might have missed. I even raised one side of the car to get as much as possible. The remaining oil did not cover the bottom of the metal drain pan. No shop would go to this much effort to drain oil.
Flat surface:
1661814812737.jpg

1661814856287.jpg

The MityVac extraction method passed my test with flying colors. If it works for your application, it is a great way to go, IMO.

My Jaguar F Type is designed for top extraction.There is a steel tube co axial with the filler tube and the Mityvac plastic tube simply slips over it. Checking the graduations on the side of the Mityvac container, I extracted within 2 ounces of what the manual says is the sump capacity. Good enough for me. Doing an oil & top mounted canister filter change was actually a pleasure. Now if only JLR had put a dipstick on the car instead of just an electronic readout......

I am considering a Fumoto or other type of valve for my Mazda CX 5. The issue I have is after pulling it up on ramps and removing the underbody shield, when I unscrew the drain plug the oil shoots out at almost a 45 degree angle at first and then slows to a more vertical draining. I have to put a cardboard box under my oil drain container to get it up close to the engine and catch the oil flow otherwise I get inevitable spills. Thank god for my old aluminum drip pan. Some guys on the Mazda Forum claim that the threads on the Fumoto extend into the oil pan deep enough that quite a bit of oil remains in the pan. The solution seems to be to measure carefully and then use a Dremel or round file to cut a notch in the threads to allow the oil to flow through. Not sure if I like that idea or not. Maybe one of the other brands has a shorter threaded shaft.I may just buy them all and return the ones that have longer shafts.

The MityVac comes with 2 different size extraction tubes. I don't use the larger one any more. Sometimes you gotta fish around to get it inserted properly. I use the dipstick as a baseline. After it sucks air, I fish around a little more to get a more complete extraction.

It is possible that extraction might get more oil out if the plug is on the side of the pan, or on a raised spot on the bottom.

I think I heard that the extractor does not work on some Subies. I have done Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus and Nissan cars with good results.
Once I sucked the oil outta our GS350 and then pulled the drain plug to see what I might have missed. I even raised one side of the car to get as much as possible. The remaining oil did not cover the bottom of the metal drain pan. No shop would go to this much effort to drain oil.
Flat surface:
View attachment 114730
View attachment 114732

The MityVac extraction method passed my test with flying colors. If it works for your application, it is a great way to go, IMO.
My extractor (MV7300) has three sizes of hose. The middle size fits the tube perfectly. After sucking out only 3 out of 5 quarts I switched to the smallest diameter hose. Spent about 5 minutes to get the hose to go lower to no avail. So I removed the drain plug to finish draining it. Bought the EZ Drain valve that evening.

Don

My Jaguar F Type is designed for top extraction.There is a steel tube co axial with the filler tube and the Mityvac plastic tube simply slips over it. Checking the graduations on the side of the Mityvac container, I extracted within 2 ounces of what the manual says is the sump capacity. Good enough for me. Doing an oil & top mounted canister filter change was actually a pleasure. Now if only JLR had put a dipstick on the car instead of just an electronic readout......

I am considering a Fumoto or other type of valve for my Mazda CX 5. The issue I have is after pulling it up on ramps and removing the underbody shield, when I unscrew the drain plug the oil shoots out at almost a 45 degree angle at first and then slows to a more vertical draining. I have to put a cardboard box under my oil drain container to get it up close to the engine and catch the oil flow otherwise I get inevitable spills. Thank god for my old aluminum drip pan. Some guys on the Mazda Forum claim that the threads on the Fumoto extend into the oil pan deep enough that quite a bit of oil remains in the pan. The solution seems to be to measure carefully and then use a Dremel or round file to cut a notch in the threads to allow the oil to flow through. Not sure if I like that idea or not. Maybe one of the other brands has a shorter threaded shaft.I may just buy them all and return the ones that have longer shafts.
There is some residual oil that is in the motor regardless, even if you keep the drain plug and let it drain for a week you won’t get every drop out

If I drove over a box and it got lodged against the oil pan, I would definitely notice and pull over right away. Not sure how/why it was inspected only after arriving at the destination, but there must be a good reason.

If I drove over a box and it got lodged against the oil pan, I would definitely notice and pull over right away. Not sure how/why it was inspected only after arriving at the destination, but there must be a good reason.
Yeah, I do the same thing. If I happen to run over a bag or whatever I make sure I see it in my rear view mirror to make sure it’s not stuck under car

Interesting issue. I think one is more likely to be murdered by someone in a Ronald McDonald costume that experience a actual properly installed Fumoto valve unintended lever actuation event.

Nice to see a first hand account and not some second or third hand fable that people like to quote and can never reference back to. I am sure the Fumoto naysayers are giddy with delightand sleeping with a smile on their face over this one.

Interesting issue. I think one is more likely to be murdered by someone in a Ronald McDonald costume that experience a actual properly installed Fumoto valve unintended lever actuation event.

Nice to see a first hand account and not some second or third hand fable that people like to quote and can never reference back to. I am sure the Fumoto naysayers are giddy with delightand sleeping with a smile on their face over this one.
I’m sure things do happen. Hasn’t discouraged me from still using the Fumoto valve.

I have the Fumoto valve on two of my cars and they work fine for me. I drain while the oil is hot or very warm and it flows out well enough. I'm going to get one on a third car.

Back