Fumoto Drain Valve

I have EZ drain valve on 2006 Sentra and 2015 Forester. I chose it over Fumoto because IIRC I could buy one without the nozzle/threaded hose end. I install nozzle at the time of drain only. The thought was, the nozzle should not become the cause for loosening of valve and accidental oil drain.

In general, I like them but on Subaru I am unable/not exactly easy to stick my fat fingers to turn the valve. But this is my problem, not valve's. Since I installed them, I have not spilled a drop of oil while draining.

Fumoto's retention clip is plastic and EZ's is metal.

The EZ drain looks good but it is Chinesium, for something so critical I wouldn't have enough faith to use it.

My oil extractor gets only 3 quarts out of my Tundra. That leave about 5 quarts in the engine.

Something about the dipstick location, and the shape of the pan prevents it from getting to the bottom, so, oil extractors, while great in some vehicles, are complete failures in others.

The Tundra drain plug sits pretty far off the ground, and oil spews out rapidly, so with the long drop, and high flow rate, it is messy. I’m thinking it is a perfect candidate for a Fumoto...

The fumoto is also good if you want to sample some oil before you change it out fully. You can just let it run out for 10-15 seconds (I know they tell you to take the sample once the oil has started flowing after 30 seconds once the drain plug is removed to get a better oil sample). Once the sample is taken just shut the valve closed. You can't do that with a regular drain plug without draining all the oil or risk burning your hands trying to get the drain plug back in with hot oil dripping all over your hands. Of course a vacuum extractor works to get samples as well.

I used to be really anal about draining the pan as completely as possible.
I guess that changed when I got a MityVac... I love this thing!
Personally, I have never used a valve and have no plans to try one...
If an oil drain valve helps you, then I say go for it. Let 'er drain an extra 5 to 10 minutes; no biggie.

Reactions: JC1
I used to be really anal about draining the pan as completely as possible.
I guess that changed when I got a MityVac... I love this thing!
Personally, I have never used a valve and have no plans to try one...
If an oil drain valve helps you, then I say go for it. Let 'er drain an extra 5 to 10 minutes; no biggie.
First time I used my MityVac, I kicked myself for not buying it sooner. But, like @Astro14 said, I can only evacuate a little more than half the fluid in my FRS. This is really sad, as that vehicle has a topside oil filter, and I was hoping to be able to change the oil with the car sitting on the ground. Still, no regrets with the MityVac, other than the years I lived without it.

Generally I don't care for them, they leave more oil in the pan than the drain bolt and are slow draining. If I come accross a pan that has had a heli coil installed and it is in good shape the valve is the way to go. Unlike time Serts Heli Coils weaken with repeated use but once a coil is installed the Time Sert is out, it is best to leave it alone and use something that does not require removal.
Thanks Trav. Advice very well taken.

How many stripped drain plugs have you come across? Just curious, as I have never had the issue, and don't know it would happen. Save from using the wrong size wrench.

One benefit of the valves that I didn't think about is you don't have to worry about dropping the drain plug into the drain pan! Its no fun trying to fish your plug out of hot oil because you couldn't hold on to it.
Even worse when your drain pan holds 14 QTs,

I have 3 of them. Chevy pickup, GMC terrain, and Airstream motorhome. Makes oil changes less messy. No hot oil on your hands.
I've never had a problem with one. Oil change on the motorhome is 5 1/2 gallons. With hose attached, I can drain oil into empty 5 qt.
jugs without spilling a drop.
A cajun from Breaux Bridge living in FL.
I used to be a Cajun living in Tampa, FL. for 25 years. I had a bad accident so I moved back home (Avoyelles Parish).
Don't you miss the crawfish festival? I usually enter the crawfish peeling/eating contest. Even though I don't even come close to winning I do enjoy all of the crawfish. 😁

The EZ drain looks good but it is Chinesium
Really? How did you figure that out?
Not arguing just asking because I thought hard before buying if this is a knock-off. Touchwood, it's going well for the last 6 years. But if this is a knock-off, I would definitely consider a replacement.

My Explorer has one that was installed by a previous owner. I'm sure it's at least a few years old, maybe closer to 20. It still works well and prevents the oil stream from splashing suspension components.

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to add one on every vehicle, but where it makes sense it seems to be a quality product. I'm glad the Explorer has it because it makes for cleaner draining of oil. In my application it's not really at risk of getting hit or damaged since it's side mounted.

Really? How did you figure that out?
Not arguing just asking because I thought hard before buying if this is a knock-off. Touchwood, it's going well for the last 6 years. But if this is a knock-off, I would definitely consider a replacement.
From another forum.

I'm Matt from Fumoto Engineering, so my opinion is proudly biased :). The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve is manufactured in Japan, has been in the marketplace for 35+ years with over 10 million valves sold. The EZ Oil Drain Valve is relatively new to the marketplace and is manufactured in China. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have; PM me.

Add my experiences. Hope they help you make any decision.
1) Neighbor's 2010 Honda 2.4l. The pan was stripped. Eric the Car Guy said there was additional threaded depth to the drain hole but I couldn't find a longer bolt anywhere. Fumoto threaded in and I used Ultra Black to seal. No low hang. Done. A win.

2) My Ranger 4.0l SOHC had VARIOUS colors of sealant on the oil pan near the drain hole. With a history of "Fast Lube" oil changes I didn't even think about it. Fumoto works well there and no low hang.
Note: Every Ford in my experience had a "jammy" oil drain plug. They've all felt cross-threaded and they weren't. I find that funny with oil soaked threads.
Anyone needing a genuine 2005 Ford drain plug PM me.

3) I like the fast flow of the 18mm drain hole in my Volvo 5 cyl. I believe the velocity "scoots" the crud out better (Ha-ha). Plus, it would hang low. So NO FUMOTO.

I bet the plastic the ball rotates in is improved over that of 35 years ago.
The additional time to drain oil is manageable.

Last edited:
I have a fumoto on one vehicle for 6 years now. Installed since new. I also have a Dorman EZ drain on another vehicle for about a year now. Both work well and I do not have a preference on which one is better. Main reason for buying is to make oil changes less messy and as an insurance to avoid possible stripped threads down the road. Very convenient, I don't even use ramps or raise the vehicle on jack stands. I know it does not get every last drop of oil out, but that is a non issue for me since I change my oil more frequently than necessary. As an added bonus, during the 3 or 4 times that I've had to use a quicky lube, I was not worried of a stripped thread or over tightened bolt. I just told them that I have an oil drain valve installed and not to unscrew it. Checked if its closed properly afterwards before driving off.

My dad has one on his truck it’s handy but I prefer a regular drain plug as I feel it would let more oil out since the valve is on the side of the pan whereas the actual factory drain plug is on the bottom. The previous owner had the fumoto valve added on.

Someone DRILLED a new hole just to add a Fumoto valve? That’s absurd!

I feel this has been covered before. If only there was some way to find out...if only. :poop:

Have had one on all of my vehicles for well over a decade. I will never go back.

Reactions: JC1
I want to get one for a car that has a Heli Coil, I have a Fumoto here but it looks like a piece of house plumbing. I think I will spend a bit more and get the Stahlbus, they are steel and have a smaller profile.

Amazon has them, you can get the part#

I have had one valve on two Honda Ridgelines for ten years.
Took it off the first one when selling it. A couple of spoonfuls of oil came out after it was removed. That depends on oil pans drain hole orientation. On that engine its parallel to the bottom of the pan.
I have one on a Subaru that is tucked up out of harms way with a hose attached to guide the oil through the access hole.
Makes those changes alot less messy. I really haven't seen much of the bottom of that engine due to plastic shield.
The one on sons Rav4 hangs down from the pan about an inch and a half.That do to drain hole orientation. Other things are lower.
But If he takes that out there will be alot of other damge than that.
I have not put one on the daughter's Corolla because it also hangs down a bit and I wouldn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling on that low of a car.

Back