Fumoto Drain Valve

I love the Fumoto, and it has made oil changes on my Elantra almost silly easy. The only problem is, if I'm not around to change the oil and my wife takes it in to get an oil change done, most shops act like we've put some secret lock on the oil pan. Last time my wife took it in, I noticed that instead of opening the valve to drain the oil, they just removed the valve entirely and then screwed it back in. I could tell because I was meticulous about orientating it when I installed it, and they just put it in randomly so that the valve was off to the side.

A valve screwing into the drain plug hole will make more oil stay in the pan is the only thing I see I don't like with them. It's only a small amount but dirt does collect at the bottom of pans. I think most engines have drain plugs facing horizontally more or less.

A valve screwing into the drain plug hole will make more oil stay in the pan is the only thing I see I don't like with them. It's only a small amount but dirt does collect at the bottom of pans. I think most engines have drain plugs facing horizontally more or less.
I used to feel this way about using that stupid MityVac thing.
Now I love my MityVac. All good.

Have used them on every vehicle we've owned since becoming aware of them in the late 90's. Not really a time saver as even hot oil takes longer to drain through one compared to opening the OEM drain bolt, but clearly less messy. Only vehicle that does not have one, is the current Range Rover as it has a one piece, large aluminum under plate covering most of the undercarriage. Removing it to change oil would be time consuming at best. Must be why Range Rover has a small metal tube built into the oil fill which extends to the bottom of the oil pan. This is used to suck out the motor oil with the appropriate adaptor for an oil extractor, which interestingly is the way RR dealers remove motor oil during services they perform.

I bought 3 fumoto valves. One for my Corvette, the Jeep and the Honda last fall. Well, it finally came time to change oil and the fumoto valve in the Honda needed an adapter to make it longer therefore I had to order the adapter and have not tried it yet. I changed oil oil in the Jeep and the Corvette and neither Fumoto valve would work because I bought the kind that has a plastic hose attachment and the will not work without extra adapters or whatever. I am very disappointed and would rather put a little extra cardboard down on the cement and forget about a little extra cleanup. I DO NOT RECOMMEND FUMOTO VALVES BECAUSE THE DONT ALWAYS FIT PROPERLY. I BOUGHT THREE AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO USE ANY OF THEM. Nothing but a PITA.

Back