Fumoto Drain Valve

I have one on my ‘14 F-150 (3.5 Ecoboost), It sure makes for a cleaner oil change as I have a small 3/8“ Id hose going to an empty jug. It is a slower drain, I usually allow 20 mins warm. my plug is horizontal and will leave a couple Ounces in pan due to extra thread heigh from fumoto; not an issue to me, just jack up the side or front and let gravity help. I won’t install one on my Ram 2500 diesel because the vavle would protrude down (vertically) Risking possible impact with road debris. 30k miles and 5 oil changes and no noticeable leaks or failures!

I have one on my NSX. I generally do not like them, at least on my other cars they would be in too easy of a position to be damaged. On the NSX, if it were to get damaged, something very very bad has happened. It was on the car when I bought it, too, and there's no reason to get rid of it. It does make oil changes easier, for sure.

My dad has one on his truck it’s handy but I prefer a regular drain plug as I feel it would let more oil out since the valve is on the side of the pan whereas the actual factory drain plug is on the bottom. The previous owner had the fumoto valve added on.

I bought one with the 3/8 hose connection and the 3/8 hose for my new to me 2016 Honda CR-V. I have not installed it yet because I still have one free oil change from the Honda dealer. From looking over the installation instructions it looks like the final position of the latch of the valve is a crap-shoot that I will have no say about because you are to tighten the valve 1/8 turn past hand tight when installing, so it is left to how the threads of the valve align with the threads of the oil drain hole that determines what angle the latch ends up at, because my oil drain hole is on the low side of the oil pan all the way towards the back most section of the pan.

With a big draft plate below the engine there is no danger of anything hitting the valve.

I think it will make changing the oil faster and easy even though it drains slow, because I will not have to clean up as much after the oil change. And it will be really clean every other change when I leave the Fram Ultra on for a second oil change.

Last edited:
put one on my 5.3L: with the angle of the drain and an 8 quart pan … dirty 0w20 gushes outward
Also plan to use to swap in a quart at about 40% OLM to offset GDI fuel dilution

Had one, I liked it but it just drains so slow.

It depends on what you buy it for, I bought mine to save time, figuring...I won’t have to get a wrench, remember what size I needed, won’t have to get a rag and clean the area (more time). But in the end I ended up needing the rag for the oil filter anyway, and that took time to clean. Meanwhile the drain from the valve took more time than any of it all. So for me? I don’t know it just wasn’t needed/worth it.

Whom here has the Fumoto drain valve on their vehicle/vehicles? Or, one similar/like it? How do you like it? Are there any problems/dislikes about it?
I'm thinking about installing one on my trucks engine. Opinions? Pros/cons?
I have 3 of them. Chevy pickup, GMC terrain, and Airstream motorhome. Makes oil changes less messy. No hot oil on your hands.
I've never had a problem with one. Oil change on the motorhome is 5 1/2 gallons. With hose attached, I can drain oil into empty 5 qt.
jugs without spilling a drop.
A cajun from Breaux Bridge living in FL.

I have EZ drain valve on 2006 Sentra and 2015 Forester. I chose it over Fumoto because IIRC I could buy one without the nozzle/threaded hose end. I install nozzle at the time of drain only. The thought was, the nozzle should not become the cause for loosening of valve and accidental oil drain.

In general, I like them but on Subaru I am unable/not exactly easy to stick my fat fingers to turn the valve. But this is my problem, not valve's. Since I installed them, I have not spilled a drop of oil while draining.

Fumoto's retention clip is plastic and EZ's is metal.

I have them installed on vehicles I maintain; all those in my signature, my mom's and sister's vehicles as well. Easy, mess free cleanup. My Tacoma has room for a 1 gal milk jug to sit underneath with about 1/2" clearance. As far as slow drain comments, I just loosen/open the oil fill cap and let the drain begin. In my opinion, if you do your own oil changes, money very well spent.

Whom here has the Fumoto drain valve on their vehicle/vehicles? Or, one similar/like it? How do you like it? Are there any problems/dislikes about it?
I have one on Subaru and its great. Makes oil changes easier. I just need to get a little under my Subaru enough to feel the valve with my fingers and open it. Don't need to get under so I can see it.

I did not put one on my truck as I felt it would be sticking down from the engine and might get ripped off. The Subaru engine is setup differently so not a problem.

Reactions: JC1
I have a fumoto valve on my truck, and I'm glad that I tried it, but I will not be purchasing again. By the time I pull the retention clip and fumble around to open the valve, I could have had a socket on drain plug. It also takes much longer to drain, even with warm oil.
I can see why some people like theirs, but it was a $30 failed experiment for me.

I’ve used Fumoto valves on my Subaru, Ford, and a Pontiac; they are a real time saver and you don’t have to worry about stripping out the plug. Some folk use a retention clip but I haven’t and I have a total of around 600K of miles on my three valves and haven’t had any dripping or accidental opening issues. Most of complaints of leaks are from double gasketing during installation or not using the proper crush washer (they come with the proper one).

On my Toyota, I installed a Stahlbus valve which I’m liking quite a bit. They are lower profile than the Fumoto valves and do not have the chance of an accidental opening.

As for the complaints of slowness, I can drain a 5.3 quart sump in about 1.5 - 2 minutes with either the Stahlbus or Fumoto valves. I just take that time to go change the oil filter.

I’ve used Fumoto valves on my Subaru, Ford, and a Pontiac; they are a real time saver and you don’t have to worry about stripping out the plug. Some folk use a retention clip but I haven’t and I have a total of around 600K of miles on my three valves and haven’t had any dripping or accidental opening issues. Most of complaints of leaks are from double gasketing during installation or not using the proper crush washer (they come with the proper one).

On my Toyota, I installed a Stahlbus valve which I’m liking quite a bit. They are lower profile than the Fumoto valves and do not have the chance of an accidental opening.

As for the complaints of slowness, I can drain a 5.3 quart sump in about 1.5 - 2 minutes with either the Stahlbus or Fumoto valves. I just take that time to go change the oil filter.
I have no valves. But, I do like the stahlbus design. Sadly, that thing is like $45 on amazon. I'm just too cheap to fork over that much cash.

EDIT: As an option in place of a valve, I should mention that my current way to avoid crawling under the vehicle is to use a vacuum extractor, like others mentioned. Its also crazy handy for spill&fills on the tranny.

Last edited:

How many stripped drain plugs have you come across? Just curious, as I have never had the issue, and don't know it would happen. Save from using the wrong size wrench.

One benefit of the valves that I didn't think about is you don't have to worry about dropping the drain plug into the drain pan! Its no fun trying to fish your plug out of hot oil because you couldn't hold on to it.

Generally I don't care for them, they leave more oil in the pan than the drain bolt and are slow draining. If I come accross a pan that has had a heli coil installed and it is in good shape the valve is the way to go. Unlike time Serts Heli Coils weaken with repeated use but once a coil is installed the Time Sert is out, it is best to leave it alone and use something that does not require removal.

Back