Fumoto drain valve-a few concerns

I guess I could use them on all my vehicles but since 9 drain plugs are easy to deal with, and oil on my fingers doesn't bother me, I don't bother doing it. Only my 65 F-100 uses one since the oil drains on top of the cross member than drains backwards down over the brake line and the rear ledge before hitting the oil pan. A big mess to clean up so there is a valve in use here where I attach a clear hose to the valve before opening and drain the oil directly to the pan. Now about that horizontal FL-1A also over the cross member.

I've had one my 2012 Impreza for about 130K miles I have had zero issues with it and the oil drains fully. As long as you have your dip stick out or your fill cap or oil filter off, the oil comes out extremely quickly.

By the time you are done with your oil filter, the oil will be drained completely.

Use them on all vehicles since late 1990s. Even ran one over a concrete island and shave the nipple off and it did not break and kept it on for years later. Yes, they drain slow but I let mine drain overnight so not an issue. No longer need ramps as no need to wrestle with the plug and filters I can get to.

They do not crack under constant heat and cold as the writer fears.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Remove oil cap and hot oil will drain faster.

Fumoto has to be one of the greatest inventions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I also remove my dipstick, prior to oil drain, along with the oil cap.

I bought 4 and after installing 2 I decided they weren't my cup of tea. I sold them here on bitog.

I have one on my Raptor, love it. It makes oil changes a breeze as the skid plates used to get covered in oil with the silly oil drain position but now I put a 6" length of hose on the Fumoto and drain it into a bucket. My only wish is that the nipple on the end was a bit longer so the hose would stay on better.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Auto Zone has wing nut hose clamps …

The nipple on mine is only a couple mm at most. I'm not sure a hose clamp would work. After some research Fumoto makes a plastic nipple for my model to attach a hose to. I'm ordering one with my next Amazon order.

I've used them on several cars and like them a lot. My concern is not all the oil is getting out. Any truth to that?

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

The nipple on mine is only a couple mm at most. I'm not sure a hose clamp would work. After some research Fumoto makes a plastic nipple for my model to attach a hose to. I'm ordering one with my next Amazon order.

They make 2 different valves with a nipple, a regular one (part number ends with N, 15mm) and a short one (part number ends with a S, 5mm).
Sounds like you got the S version.
Originally Posted by buster
I've used them on several cars and like them a lot. My concern is not all the oil is getting out. Any truth to that?

As I posted before, depends on the vehicle. My '02 Wrangler had a few ounces left when I pulled the Fumoto just to check.

Originally Posted by Kage860
I heard the Hindenberg was also using a Purolator filter, and they were extending their oci without using uoa.

Bet it was a Bosch

Originally Posted by buster

Get a flashlight ready because it's going to happen quick … but with that valve open pour a half quart of clean oil in and see what comes out of the valve … (you could switch containers)

The 2003 7.3L PowerStrokes use a copper crush washer on the drain plug. I have read on one of the forums here that the Fumoto F111SX oil drain valve extends too far in the pan and that some oil will not drain out. If I add the thin copper crush washer to the Fumoto it will make very little difference. Would it be safe to add several copper washers? Or might it be better to use a single thicker aluminum crush washer?
Thanks for your comments!

I like the thin aluminum Dorman-ones. Had to crawl back under my Koreans to re-tighten dealer-type, thick copper ones.

For those with constant leaks at the threads, ags.company (dot com) sells Oil Drain Plug & Filter Thread Sealant.
I'm trying not to post links to online stores anymore.

Last edited:
I once removed a Fumoto to install on a new vehicle same engine.About two teaspoons of oil came out after removal. But the Honda J series Fumoto orientation is horizontal.

Back