Fumoto Valve Question/Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Welcome Sir
patriot.gif

Also, now that I see the actual valve, the lever is not near as long as I thought it would be. Hardly likely to open up. Somehow the valve looked a lot longer to me in the pictures on the web site.

I have 5 fumotos on cars, been in use for well over 5 years now, none of them have ever leaked, been damaged etc and are great for samples etc. Built very tough IMO would take a solid hit to break one loose if it is exposed under there. Frams just do not seem as solid. As to the lever well, not a problem for me so far.

I have one on my 2004.5 Dodge w/Cummins (4x4) for 40K miles and it goes up and down gravel roads, drives thru pastures and fields, gets mudded occasionally, has driven over tree limbs, hit a 70 lb. mutt (oops) on the interstate, etc. I have never had it leak or cause any problems, and although it does not stick out the bottom of the pan, it is not in a real well protected area.

I have nothing but praise for the fumoto!

In my link above, if you check out the photo gallery, I have a picture of the side of the valve up against a tape measure.

I also have a picture with the end of a papermate pen in it for some idea of the size of the opening, but that would be specific to that version of the valve.

If you want a bit of extra protection to keep the valve from opening, you can place a hose spring clamp over the valve lever body up against the lever. IIRC, there are two sizes, mine uses a 5/8".

I have a Fumoto on my Tahoe and my wife's Expy. They both have been installed for close to 2 years. They haven't leaked a drop and the 1/4 turn was more than enough to keep it from unscrewing.

In order to open the Fumoto you need to push the lever back AND slide it to the side. It is not a simple twisting motion. I was worried about using the Fumoto myself, but after installing them and observing the mechanism....I am convinced.

The hose spring clamp that GearGuy mentioned above is a great idea. I bought them to use on our SUVs, but I quickly realized that they were not necessary. I would recommend changing the oil as hot as possible because the Fumoto does restrict the flow a bit. I park on a slight incline and let the oil drain for 5-10 minutes.

Let us know what you think after you install it.
cheers.gif

I wonder if the quicky lube dipsticks figure out how to open the fumoto valve if they get a fumoto equipped car in for an oil change.

I may be kind of slow, but what's the point? I've run 200K on 3K OCIs and never had a problem with either the pan threads, the drain plug, or the original washer. These valves, in all their variety, seem to me like a solution looking for a problem.

I'm sold on the valves. It makes taking samples a whole lot easier and you'll never drop the drain plug in the pan of hot oil.

Quote:

I may be kind of slow, but what's the point? I've run 200K on 3K OCIs and never had a problem with either the pan threads, the drain plug, or the original washer. These valves, in all their variety, seem to me like a solution looking for a problem.

Valves are cleaner. They allow you to control the oil flow, attach hoses, remove only a small amount of oil, etc... Some vehicles (certain Explorers come to mind) can make an absolute mess because of the oil stream hitting suspension parts or skid plates and a valve can solve those issues.

Has anyone had any luck getting a response from Fumoto?

I sent them a message at least 3 weeks ago inquiring about a valve for a 2.4L Ecotec and have not heard anything from them.

I never bought directly from fumoto. Other places sell them online. I bought mine retail. You may want to try one of them. They're otfen a bit cheaper too. Fwiw I bought a couple of mine retail in a department store.

I had the sure drain for 5 years on my ranger. I liked the simple brass cap.
Didnt have any trouble with it and I would drain the oil out very hot... (almost melted a 5qt oil bottle)
so the lower flow was negated by draining very hot.
I now have a better place to change oil and my new vehicle
has half the ground clearance so I just use ramps and a oil
drain pan that doesnt let the plug sink ;p

Quote:

I never bought directly from fumoto. Other places sell them online. I bought mine retail. You may want to try one of them. They're otfen a bit cheaper too. Fwiw I bought a couple of mine retail in a department store.

Up here in the Great White North they don't seem to be available in the normal retail channels, so we have to buy direct from the manufacturer.

NAPA and Carquest do not have searchable web sites, so it's hard to find out if they would carry them or be able to order them.

I love my Fumoto valve! The way I see it, it sticks out 3/8" further than the original plug. If your automobile bottoms out or drives over anything, chances the original plug would get hit, too!

I threw away the stupid fiber gasket that came with the valve and used a crush washer instead. I love how easy and clean it is to change the oil now... the only oil splatter I see are from the oil filter falling off and hitting the drain pan.

I'm 100% believer, so are most of the Japanese automobile manufacturers since Fumoto says their drain valve comes on them out of the factory.

Remember, use the crush washer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back