Full Synthetic Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal with this brand-spankin'-new market, is this the new 'Full Synthetic Oil' equivalent of oil filters?
10 years ago, I would have considered a boutique filter to be something of a MANN, Roki or Mahle/Knecht; a heavy gauge, quality piece with minimal sex appeal designed to do one thing, filter oil and often for extended drains and hard highway runs. They were just a plain white or black, sometimes blue can with the contrasting text and quality internals.
Now? Those are caveman filters because cellulose is out, even blended media is out.

Suddenly there's a new 'synthetic' oil filter market that every filter marketer wants a piece of. They've seen full well what "full synthetic" has done for the oil market so synthetic filters to go along with that synthetic oil is a no brainer. Just apply the basic list of features like metallic paintjobs, chrome on the labels, a piece of glass cloth supported by wires and PR campaigns supported by millions of dollars. Can't forget the wicked names like Ultra Synthetic, XP, BOSS (really?). Who knew fiberglass was so ultra synthetic? All of this campaigning has people thinking that it makes no sense using a conventional oil filter with your full synthetic oil. You love your baby don't you? Surely you'll select 'the best'. Love of your family members is the biggest reason for taking out life insurance. You love your family, don't you?? Your engine won't last as long if you don't get a certain 1 pass efficiency rating, because non-synthetic oil and non-synthetic filters that have been the greatest threat to engines all this time. Thank goodness we finally have a modern, scientifically proven, technological solution to overcome our dark and primitive ways. I just can't wait until we evolve past shiny things, cultivated fears and empty reassurances.
12.gif

1-800-COME-ON-NOW

For every enthusiast like you there are just as many that want state of the art and progress.
To deny them would be foolish. Many here think like you do and just keep on keeping on.
Nothing wrong with either side.

Plus this crowd and myself get bored with the same old, same old.

Marketing will always be a part of every industry. It’s good that there’s fierce competition out there so that us consumers can get better product at a better price.

Well if the synthetic fibers have a higher efficiency and holding capacity they are superior to their cellulose counter parts. It's not really hard to believe that something better than paper was discovered for filter media. Maybe some companies take it too far but better is better if you can quantify it.

I think it is some great marketing verbage, but there are many here who buy into it. Its the equivalent of labeling food 'all natural' and concerned mothers will buy that stuff up because it better.

I'm sure 50 years ago some folks did not think we'd still be looking at so many cotton fields ...

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
What's the deal with this brand-spankin'-new market, is this the new 'Full Synthetic Oil' equivalent of oil filters?

The main gist behind full synthetic oil filters is to use them with full synthetic oils that can be used for a much longer OCI. That way, the filter can make the full OCI with the oil, whereas a cellulose filter may not make it safely to 10K or 15K miles with the oil. Full synthetic oil usually have better filtering efficiency and much higher holding capacity. Of course you can use a full synthetic oil filter with any kind of oil, or a cellulose filter with full synthetic oil if you want.

Has it definitely been proved that synthetic filters are better than top quality cellulose? Seems to me that fiberglass itself would not absorb or filter as well as cellulose. Nevertheless, I've bought into the Synthetic filter thing and using FU in a couple of mine that go for long oil changes, but not on the Ecotec motor which gets changed every 5K.

In my new car I will use only synthetic oil and fram ultra. Guy down the street bought an identical car and will use regular old DINO and OCD. I would be willing to bet our vehicles will last the same amount of years. If we sold them at the same time still running fine we would both swear it was due to our oil and filter combo.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud
In my new car I will use only synthetic oil and fram ultra. Guy down the street bought an identical car and will use regular old DINO and OCD. I would be willing to bet our vehicles will last the same amount of years. If we sold them at the same time still running fine we would both swear it was due to our oil and filter combo.
smile.gif

Looking under the oil cap of the used car market, just the fact that he's changing his oil on time is a step in the right direction. :p

Since when does polyfiber earn a 4 dollar plus premium over specialized cellulose blend?

Man the filter manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Now what would I pay for? An Adapter canister that would take a loadable premium cartridge applicable to most Asian cars: Nissan/Honda/Subaru. I could even drill in "optional" ports for a viscous damped delta P gauge on your dash with peak telltale; An adjustable bypass valve could also be incorporated into the adapter plate.

I can have pilot run machined if I could build and sell more than 700 or so to offset my development costs.
Whos in? Off the top of the head, cost might be between 75 and 100 bucks per unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Since when does polyfiber earn a 4 dollar plus premium over specialized cellulose blend?

Man the filter manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Now what would I pay for? An Adapter canister that would take a loadable premium cartridge applicable to most Asian cars: Nissan/Honda/Subaru. I could even drill in "optional" ports for a viscous damped delta P gauge on your dash with peak telltale; An adjustable bypass valve could also be incorporated into the adapter plate.

I can have pilot run machined if I could build and sell more than 700 or so to offset my development costs.
Whos in? Off the top of the head, cost might be between 75 and 100 bucks per unit.

http://trasko-usa.com/

Techron Synthetic in case fuel diluted synthetic oil gets in the synthetic fiber ...
It's just natural (sorry) ...

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Has it definitely been proved that synthetic filters are better than top quality cellulose? Seems to me that fiberglass itself would not absorb or filter as well as cellulose.

Just the opposite ... synthetic usually filters better and holds more because of the way it captures and hold debris. Plus full synthetic media usually has less delta-p across it in the same flow conditions.

See how Donaldson describes the difference in this link: Difference Between Synthetic and Cellulose Media

The trick is that how many people put 500,000 miles on their vehicles? If so what oil and filters do they use and what use is the use of the vehicle? Syn filters are better but will who will see the better ? people running semis or couriers,commercial type work.

"Car Enthusiast" must do. Buy the most expensive gas, synthetic oil and filters. Wash and wax constantly, then trade it in on a new one.

Have to run top tier gas with a synthetic filter?....No but i would use top tier gas anyway some people can use Citgo it's a top tier gas and it's usually cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back