Full synthetic change interval for low use vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Audios
Id say 2 years safely, if youre worried, try an analysis after a year and see what its showing. My M cars only see about 1000-1500 miles per year, I have been changing it yearly, but considering a longer interval if this run comes back OK.
On that point, I did a UOA on my short tripping 530i once after 1.5 years (2 winters), and did not like the results - TAN was already exceeding TBN, but maybe it wasn't yet causing any harm to the engine. Metals were somewhat high, but not sure that in itself would be a condemning factor. Anyway, I decided to cut back and stick to annual oil changes after that.

For short trippers....yes, change it at least annually. For those of us that don't short trip ever on their 1000 mi/yr "toys" or back up cars, a longer interval is probably fine. My car never goes back into the garage on any single trip until logging 15 consecutive miles.

So your hypothetical case is maybe a garage queen that's maybe connected to a battery maintainer most of the time and might get about 10 100 mile trips per year?

I wonder how it works for exotic cars that barely get driven. A lot seem to have extremely high oil capacities and possibly really convoluted/expensive service procedures. I've even heard of some super exotic cars that have less than 5000 miles after 10 years.

There have been several UOAs performed on low mileage vehicles, at least 3 years and IIRC one with 5 years on the oil. Oil tested fine.

Filters, now...I don't recall seeing any filters cut open that were on vehicles for an extended period.

Let's say
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
DeltaWing said:
You don't mention your state location or how the vehicle is driven..... city/mix or highway. Don't mention what vehicle - what engine - what year of the vehicle.
How about giving us a little more info.
Enjoy your stay here and hope it lasts for many years.

2011 Civic, 2005 Civic, 2005 Celica, 2013 Fit... all similar 4 cyl cars. One car is is mixed use, while another is mostly highway. Consider both use cases for my question.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
DeltaWing said:
You don't mention your state location or how the vehicle is driven..... city/mix or highway. Don't mention what vehicle - what engine - what year of the vehicle.
How about giving us a little more info.
Enjoy your stay here and hope it lasts for many years.

oh yeah... middle to south Texas.

The 05 Civic is driven 3-4 times per week and mostly freeway (1 hr length commuter car). The other cars are rarely driven even 500 miles a year. They mostly stay parked. I keep the batteries disconnected (not that it should matter :)

Originally Posted by JLTD
There have been several UOAs performed on low mileage vehicles, at least 3 years and IIRC one with 5 years on the oil. Oil tested fine.

Filters, now...I don't recall seeing any filters cut open that were on vehicles for an extended period.

Here's what I learned about oil filters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by Audios
Id say 2 years safely, if youre worried, try an analysis after a year and see what its showing. My M cars only see about 1000-1500 miles per year, I have been changing it yearly, but considering a longer interval if this run comes back OK.
On that point, I did a UOA on my short tripping 530i once after 1.5 years (2 winters), and did not like the results - TAN was already exceeding TBN, but maybe it wasn't yet causing any harm to the engine. Metals were somewhat high, but not sure that in itself would be a condemning factor. Anyway, I decided to cut back and stick to annual oil changes after that.

For short trippers....yes, change it at least annually. For those of us that don't short trip ever on their 1000 mi/yr "toys" or back up cars, a longer interval is probably fine. My car never goes back into the garage on any single trip until logging 15 consecutive miles.

So your hypothetical case is maybe a garage queen that's maybe connected to a battery maintainer most of the time and might get about 10 100 mile trips per year?

I wonder how it works for exotic cars that barely get driven. A lot seem to have extremely high oil capacities and possibly really convoluted/expensive service procedures. I've even heard of some super exotic cars that have less than 5000 miles after 10 years.

Yup... hangar queens mostly except for the 05 civic which is a commuter car - 1 hr trip one way once a week + mixed use in the city 5-20 miles sometimes for 3-5 times per week, sometimes it sits for a week.

Originally Posted by DeltaWing

That video only teaches how to not do a filter comparison.

If a vehicle gets 1000 miles/year from twenty 50-mile trips, that would be a lot easier on the oil (and engine) than five hundred 2-mile trips with a cold start each time. In the former case, I can't see any logical reason to change after only one year. If you're somewhere between those extremes, adjust accordingly.

Originally Posted by blupupher

That video only teaches how to not do a filter comparison.

So what is a good filter then?

So what is a good filter then?

In no particular order, here are what I've seen referred to as good:
Wix, Wix XP(though lower efficiency when new), Fram Ultra (and TG), NAPA Gold, Amsoil, M1, RP.

I have a '02 Ford Explorer that I bought with 60k miles about 13 years ago. Don't know what oil was used up to that point. I changed to Mobil 1 ep from that point forward. I mostly drive between 7-8 k miles a year. I'll change the oil between 1 and 1 1/2 years. If it sits alot I might just change the filter cause that's where all the bad stuff collects anyway. The motor runs perfectly quiet and smooth. It has 205k miles on it right now. My thought as well as Blackstone's thoughts are they go by mileage NOT TIME, as far as how long to use oil. Says that right on their web page. It's been my experience that the motor is the toughest part of any car and will out last most everything else. So the question is, are you maintaining your car for yourself, or the next owner?.,,,

Originally Posted by CR94
If a vehicle gets 1000 miles/year from twenty 50-mile trips, that would be a lot easier on the oil (and engine) than five hundred 2-mile trips with a cold start each time. In the former case, I can't see any logical reason to change after only one year. If you're somewhere between those extremes, adjust accordingly.

Well said -- UOAs are invaluable.

At a certain point it might make more sense to simply change the oil, especially in a car where the manufacturer specs a filter every other OCI. I guess maybe one UOA to establish a baseline might be helpful.

For a vehicle like that something cheap such as Chevron Supreme (less than $13 for 5 quarts at WM) averages maybe $9 for an oil change, plus $4 each filter. I'd worry more about the filter media coming apart after a couple years of being soaked than I would about the oil being bad.

Originally Posted by philipp10
And Quattro Pete....seriously, your going to change oil after sitting in the garage and at 200 miles?
I am, while the car is still under warranty.

I'd find someone that is out of warranty and collect their receipts...in case you have an unlikely engine failure on your 200 miles every 6 months car....lol. No way I would toss that oil. Or perhaps at least save the oil for some poor person to use....

I don't blame him for following the wording to the letter. I know I wouldn't like it if I were in his position, but I'd probably do the exact same thing, and grudgingly at that.
wink.gif

I'd be curious how oil-life monitors have treated this in low-use vehicles. I believe that most motor oils handle short trips better, and electronic engine management means there aren't as many issues with fuel dilution or condensation like there used to bel

I'm waiting on a Blackstone report from my Caliber. Averaged about 107 miles a week, 99% of that 5,600 was short trips. I went a full year on Mobil 1 EP 5w20.

I mailed it off Sunday, and Fort Wayne isn't that far away...

Last edited:

At a certain point it might make more sense to simply change the oil, especially in a car where the manufacturer specs a filter every other OCI. I guess maybe one UOA to establish a baseline might be helpful.

For a vehicle like that something cheap such as Chevron Supreme (less than $13 for 5 quarts at WM) averages maybe $9 for an oil change, plus $4 each filter. I'd worry more about the filter media coming apart after a couple years of being soaked than I would about the oil being bad.

Has anyone actually done a proper engineering analysis of various filters? Has anyone actually submerged various filters in oil for years? Has rust amount been checked? Has anyone done an oil analysis across filters in a controlled environment? I see lots of opinions but I can't find a good empirical study.

Ditto for oil longevity. What are the chemical reductions that occur? Has anyone seen any academic papers on this subject?

And Quattro Pete....seriously, your going to change oil after sitting in the garage and at 200 miles?
I am, while the car is still under warranty.

I'd find someone that is out of warranty and collect their receipts...
Someone using the exact required SRT 0w-40 oil? Yeah, I think I'd rather just change the oil.
smile.gif

in case you have an unlikely engine failure on your 200 miles every 6 months car....lol.
This is my first FCA car, so I am not quite sure what is and isn't unlikely.
smile.gif

BTW, the car gets no usage during winter months, but does get used the other 6 months of the year.

I knew what I was getting into when I decided to buy this car, so I've factored this into the buying equation, but still find it silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back