Full 1-ONS040 filter cut open (after HPL oil)

This filter is for rb26dett powered Stagea I work on for a customer. The car has neaely 260k kilometers on it.

When servicing the car I noticed alot of carbon buildup under the valve covers. So I highly suggested switching to HPL Premium 5w40 oil which we did.

The car received this oil filter shortly after being imported when it got its first OCI by another shop. No idea on the oil that was used. It had maybe 3-400 miles on whatever that oil was then about 100miles with the HPL.

The car currently received another Full filter that I said we need to change after about 1k and we have a WIX to go on after that. Primarily because it was all I could get my hands on.

Filthy filter but looks solid and intact. Currently wicking the media and will update later on.

20231117_101547.jpg
20231117_101908.jpg
20231117_101912.jpg
20231117_101930.jpg
20231117_104311.jpg
20231117_104305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was the other way around. For some reason I got the impression the oil was a little milder then the cleaner.
The HPL EC might be more aggressive if you ran a whole sump full, but you are suppose to only use a quart per 5 quarts of regular oil, or something along those lines.

The HPL EC might be more aggressive if you ran a whole sump full, but you are suppose to only use a quart per 5 quarts of regular oil, or something along those lines.
The EC only has ester to clean, and a "safe" dose at that, while the oil leverages both AN and ester as a balanced combo, making it more effective.

Do you recon I should alter my plan? Change the filter after about 1k, then change oil and filter at 2500?
I think you'll be fine changing the filter at 1K, as long as you are keeping your eye on those, that's the important bit. The risk is of course folks slapping in the combo and then running it 5K and the filter loads up and starts bypassing and then you have all that stuff circulating.

I am however, quite interested in what your next filter looks like.

In just 100 miles on that filter is already a lotta de-sludging progress on the HPL oil, was expecting to be a more gentle clean. Makes me feels safer going with an oversize filter once I start moving to HPL PCMO in the next change.

In just 100 miles on that filter is already a lotta de-sludging progress on the HPL oil, was expecting to be a more gentle clean. Makes me feels safer going with an oversize filter once I start moving to HPL PCMO in the next change.
Would you be opposed to doing a filter change at 500 miles "just in case"?

Would you be opposed to doing a filter change at 500 miles "just in case"?

For something cleaning as aggressive like HPL PCMO oils, I wouldn't be against the idea of setting a filter inspection benchmark at 500 miles or less. I did recently pulled out my oversized Toyota YZZD3 (C&P posted in another thread a few weeks ago) out of my Yaris 680 miles in running 0.8 quarts of HPL EC 30 mixed with 3.2 quarts Valvoline oil only to see the filter hasn't broken in yet or caught any chunks carbonaceous material.

I'm currently around 2000 miles in on the oil life with HPL EC. I did notice the oil is a bit darker than usual when doing a bi-weekly dipstick check and oil blot testing on a white paper towel. Current filter I'm running is an XG3600 (non wire backed A3#### batch with louver center tube). Pretty excited myself to see how much loading there is when the car hits 5000 miles on drain.

It would be interesting to see how much deposits flushed on a car that has spent much of its life on the highway on dealer OEM oils & and off the shelf stores brand synthetic oils.

Actual batch code of the filter currently on. See photos.

Actual batch code of the filter currently on. See photos.

Yes, that's a late in 2023 date code ... it was made the 256th day of 2023. Doesn't mean the ones make earlier in 2023 were the same "batch". Need the whole date code to get an idea where in the year it was made. And not all Fram models are making the same changes, so some other model Ultras made at the same time may still have a center tube with holes for instance.

1700381205244.png

Back