fuel pump? on the chevy truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a fuel pump similar to this about 4 years ago on a chevy pickup. The owner had put a fuel pump in his truck and said that the pump must be defective.. and said that he wasnt going to go thru the [censored] of doing it again.

He insisted that the pump he put in (from autozone) was defective and he ordered an OEM pump from chevrolet. I spent about 30 minutes on it after he left and got it going.

The ground strap that goes to the frame loses contact over time on these pickups, I have done 2 of them so far that just needed the contact cleaned to the frame or just replaced the ground wire.

Hope this helps you.

Installed new pump cleaned the ground and replaced relay.....still no action from the pump. And I dont hear the relay clicking.....

Okay, so it's gone from a fuel pump that will start when you smack the tank with your hand to the fuel pump relay not clicking. It seems likely that either something has changed or you made some sort of error in your observations. It's time to forget everything you think you know about its current state go back to the beginning: your Chevy truck doesn't start and you don't know why.

First see if you can get it to start by spraying throttle spray, carb spray, or starting fluid into the throttle body. If not, check for spark; if it starts:

First make sure your SES light comes on when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, you need to fix that first. I am assuming it comes on:

Check that you have B+ at the fuel pump inline fuse (if you have one, otherwise on the wire going to the fuel pump): for a prime; immediately when you start cranking; 5 seconds into extended cranking. If you do not have B+ at all three of these times there is a problem.

What year is this truck again? It has only one fuel tank, right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yonyon
Okay, so it's gone from a fuel pump that will start when you smack the tank with your hand to the fuel pump relay not clicking. It seems likely that either something has changed or you made some sort of error in your observations. It's time to forget everything you think you know about its current state go back to the beginning: your Chevy truck doesn't start and you don't know why.

First see if you can get it to start by spraying throttle spray, carb spray, or starting fluid into the throttle body. If not, check for spark; if it starts:

First make sure your SES light comes on when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, you need to fix that first. I am assuming it comes on:

Check that you have B+ at the fuel pump inline fuse (if you have one, otherwise on the wire going to the fuel pump): for a prime; immediately when you start cranking; 5 seconds into extended cranking. If you do not have B+ at all three of these times there is a problem.

What year is this truck again?

itll start with starting fluid. There is power throught the fuel pump fuse and relay and the ses does come on when key is on.
My error was the relay clicking. I thought it was before but realized its the abs module that makes the click noise.
So it has spark . Relay doesn't click

Okay, no click. I think you have 5 wires in the following colors:
orange
green with white stripe
black with white stripe
red
other
If that's not correct, disregard the rest of this because I'm thinking of the wrong setup.

Now, you should always have ground on the black with white stripe. For 2 seconds after you cycle the key on and also while you crank you should have B+ on the green with white stripe wire. That should make the relay click unless the relay itself is faulty. If there is no B+ on green with white your ECM is unable to do what it's supposed to do.

Other than that, you should have B+ on the orange wire except when the fusible link is burned up. After verifying B+ on orange, you can use a jumper wire or a diagnostic paper clip to connect orange to the other colored wire to verify that the pump and associated wiring are operational. If using a paper clip, don't touch it with your hands as it may become quite hot.

Sorry about that. That can wait until you can run the engine off of starting fluid.

Last edited:
Well, then pretend I didn't cross that whole thing off. See if you have power on the green wire with a white stripe and ground on the black wire with a white stripe.

aint no gas in it. (slingblade reference).

Have u put multimeter on your wires to see if you are getting signal to the pump?

Also on some of those chevy fuel pumps there is a hose from the pickup that i have seen come loose and causes it to lose prime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
were all the pumps that failed a/c delco?

At least one was NAPA. It lasted almost exactly one year. Replaced under warranty (the pump), not labor.

Well an update. I took it to a shop. I basically don't have a lot of time right now and figured that would be easier.
Here is the discovery. The fuel filter was shot which burnt up the original pump when the pump blew it burnt a fuse. But here is the kicker it was fuse that was added on. The manual doesn't show anything about the fuse. And it's under the truck so not easily seen. That fuse blew thus killing the circuit. But oddly enough the new fuel pump is shot as well...mm said barely a dribble of gas came out. So hopefully a new pump is the solution

Ouch. Junk brand pump? Or did the bad fuel filter become noted after the fuse was fixed and the new one burned out too?

Well the fuse was bad which is why the new pump never got power but the pump was also defective.
The defect was the harness where the ground wire attached the wires were loose inside of there creating poor connection.
The fuse was something I had no idea of it was in the service manual or nothing it was something someone added for some reason and it was in a not so obvious spot. None the less I feel dumb for not finding that. But the filter killed the first pump and the fuse. The second one was junk and killed itself. I had a om pump put back in.
The coolant sensor needs replaced as well. Where the harness connects is bad and someone tried to glue it .....

As an FYI, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS replace the fuel filter when you do a pump. Even if you just did it, replace it again so you at least have a receipt if the pump needs to be replaced under warranty. Some places will require one.

I know I even bought a new filter but was trying to get it to run first. But I'm a firm believer if the pump went bad a new relay and filter should be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back