HELP! 2016 Toyota Sienna Crank but no start condition suddenly

2016 Toyota Sienna LE FWD 148k miles
Drove and ran perfectly fine yesterday
battery is 2 years old approximately
cranks the engine over more than fast enough to start. Checked theft immobilizer when the key is inserted and the immobilizer light goes out.
I pulled the fuel pump relay and popped the cover off and it looks fine. Checked all fuses, nothing out of order there.
I checked the voltages at the terminals where the relay goes and it doesn't appear to be sending 12 volts to the side of the relay that activates the electromagnet to close the circuit to the fuel pump.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

i also used a toothpick and forced the fuel pump relay contact closed. cranks but still no start. seems the ECU may not be sending voltage to the connector in the fuse panel where the relay is located. super stumped on this one. ran and drove perfectly fine yesterday, and today nothing.

2016 Toyota Sienna LE FWD 148k miles
Drove and ran perfectly fine yesterday
battery is 2 years old approximately
cranks the engine over more than fast enough to start. Checked theft immobilizer when the key is inserted and the immobilizer light goes out.
I pulled the fuel pump relay and popped the cover off and it looks fine. Checked all fuses, nothing out of order there.
I checked the voltages at the terminals where the relay goes and it doesn't appear to be sending 12 volts to the side of the relay that activates the electromagnet to close the circuit to the fuel pump.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Did you actually test the battery?
My SIenna was driving normally, the next day, super warm, just died. It was the battery.

1) do you have gas. Negative thought but did someone drain the tank.
2) test battery.

Stick to basics 1st.

Do you have a CEL, could be a position sensor. Had one fail and it did the same thing. Some cars might not even throw the cel but still throw a code. I doubt the battery is bad if it can power the starter to make it crank. Well I'm assuming the starter has the same amount of cranking power as a weak battery would mean slower weaker sounding starter motor.

As for the fuel pump when you put the key in the on position can you hear anything back there? I don't know for sure if a 2016 sienna primes the pump by turning it on for a second. Almost all new cars do but I cant say everything does.

One more thing it could possibly be is the fuel pressure regulator which is like a diaphragm that prevents fuel from depressurizing in the system leading to no fuel in the lines beyond the tank. I had that fail in my 2003 gmc sierra (not a sienna i know but almost everything has it) early this year for the first time and it would have a long crank time of about 6 seconds but the first time it happened i cranked for 4 seconds then gave up and panicked thing i had to call a truck. So i waited a few more minutes and tried one more time out of hope then cranked for a couple seconds more and then started up. Thankfully my battery was good. I suggest you hook wires up to the car and just keep cranking and cranking as it might just finally fire up. And if i shut it off and turned it back on in a few seconds it would fire back up again. If i let it sit for a few minutes i had to crank for a while again. Fixed it quick though.

Don't drown the throttle body, but see if the engine will run on starting fluid. This should tell you if it's fuel or electrical.

Grasping at straws here, but see if you can locate the EFI relay, fuel pump relay and a circuit open relay. The only detailed wiring diagram I have is for the Lexus (thinking that Toyotas are wired similarly); these relays appear associated; Don't now how these work together, but I'd try either jumping or swapping each with a similar relay. Typically, they're in the underhood fuse box.

Untitled-21.jpg

Relays can look good, but you need to look deeper:

20230320_152222_contacts 01_cropped_resized.jpg

Starter Relay - Contacts

Do you see RPM/activity on the tachometer when cranking?
Did your's have the recalled Denso dual speed fuel pump?
Any codes?
Yes there is activity on the tach when the engine is cranking. charged the battery overnight with my 8 amp smart charger and had it tested and its good (Actually tested above the rated CA and CCA and its like 3 year old battery).

Not sure on the fuel pump. i entered the VIN into the Toyota open recall/service campaign site and nothing came up. this is the last model year of the 2GR-FE port fuel injection engine. this is not the D4-S port and direct injection engine. those came on the 2017+ sienna and is the reason we bought a 2016 specifically.

runs for a second or two with carb cleaner sprayed in the throttle body.

I have not heard the fuel pump prime, which i believe it does for a second or two before turning the engine over to prime the fuel line with fuel before the engine cranks.

hooked up OBD2 reader and its not showing any codes.

so, Fuel pump?

Last edited:
It appears you have a fuel issue. Is the fuel pump original? When was the fuel filter last changed?
to the best of my knowledge yes the fuel pump is original. theres a screen on the bottom of the sending unit on these. i'm not aware of an actual "filter"

Yes there is activity on the tach when the engine is cranking. charged the battery overnight with my 8 amp smart charger and had it tested and its good (Actually tested above the rated CA and CCA and its like 3 year old battery).

Not sure on the fuel pump. i entered the VIN into the Toyota open recall/service campaign site and nothing came up. this is the last model year of the 2GR-FE port fuel injection engine. this is not the D4-S port and direct injection engine. those came on the 2017+ sienna and is the reason we bought a 2016 specifically.

runs for a second or two with carb cleaner sprayed in the throttle body.

I have not heard the fuel pump prime, which i believe it does for a second or two before turning the engine over to prime the fuel line with fuel before the engine cranks.

hooked up OBD2 reader and its not showing any codes.

so, Fuel pump?
Either the pump has failed or power is not getting to the pump check the circuit before pulling the pump.

I doubt the battery is bad if it can power the starter to make it crank. Well I'm assuming the starter has the same amount of cranking power as a weak battery would mean slower weaker sounding starter motor.
I've seen a weak battery turn over an engine normally ..... but wasn't able to start it .

Back