Fuel Hose vs. Oil Hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed an oil pressure gauge, and had to remote it from the "T" fitting. I used 5/16" I.D. fuel hose to do this. Is fuel hose acceptable to use with oil, or is there a special type of oil hose I should use?

I would go to an industrial hose shop and make sure of the proper application to avoid any problems. Tihs is something you do not want to take a chance with.

[ April 29, 2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Fuel hose should be fine.

I have used a 3/8" fuel hose for my Amsoil Single By-Pass filter for the last 10 years using the same hose.

Thanks! I thought it should be OK, since fuel line handles high pressures; but I wasn't sure what the hot oil would do to it.

Ordinary hose barbs and screw clamps should work on automotive oil as long as the hose is designed for about 125 to 150 psi. Try to find hose barbs that match the ports you are piping up. If not regular pipe thread, using pipe thread adapters is more expensive, work, bulky, and has more places to leak. For power steering and other hydraulic systems, you need the special made crimped fittings and high pressure hose except on the return lines. Brake hoses should be factory DOT certified.

Note on pressure gages. If you buy a kit, it comes with maybe a 1/8'' plastic line. You don't need a big hose and lots of flow. The smaller hose may even damp out pulsations protecting the gage. Steve is correct about making sure the hose will stand the oil and pressure. Watch where you run the line, avoiding heat and sharp edges, and also road hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back