Fuel filter, the lost filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '96 Audi A4 has a "lifetime" filter. I've got 125k miles on the clock, and so far there are no problems. However, I've heard from other people with the same car that their fuel filters clogged after sometimes only 20k miles. Go figure...
Changing the fuel filter is a nasty project on my car. The tank and rear axle have to come out - or one can use a 2x4 to push the loosened fuel tank down, thus gaining access to the fuel filter.
shocked.gif

I have mine changed every 30,000 or so. Most are inexpensive filters, a few like Toyota can cost $60 with a part and labor. If they plug up your engine can die (just stop I mean) so what's another $15 every two years. I agree though, most never get changed.

Hi everyone

I was talking to a friend of mine with a toyota camry and fuel filters. he told me that the dealer told him that the fuel filter in his car never needs to be changed. is this one of those "maintence free" items? On my car, I have driven it 48k miles without changing the fuel filter. my concern is will the fuel filter ever get clogged? At inspection, a fuel filter looks alot harder to change out than an air filter or oil filter. I read on another site that alot of shops don't want to change the fuel filter because of the increase chance that a fuel line will break. that is why it is a maintence free item? opinions welcome

Your friend should check his owners manual. I have not owned a Toyota that I am aware of that did not recomend a filter change. I always did it every 30,000 miles. I think the service manualy recomened somrthing like 50,000 or 60,000 miles. I have never paid more then $15 at a parts store for one and most were less then $12. Toyota normaly puts their on the engine low on the block. Rear wheel drive vechiles normaly have it on the RH/passenger side and FWD cars usualy have it on the block faceing the fire wall. Your friend might experince loss of power, surgeing, fluacateing RPM's due to opstructed filter.

I forgott to mention. On most Toyota's it is almost impossable to damage the fuel line. They use banjo fittings and in some cases an articulated banjo fitting. The filters are designed with aligning slots to hold the fitting in place while you thread the hollow bolt back into the new filter. Toyota also uses a combination of flexable fuel line and steel line to give you plenty of flexability. I have never seen anyone damage the fuel line on a toyota changeing the filter!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back