Fuchs Titan 0w20 for a Civic 1.6 turbodiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrendiadi
But without taking into account all the warranty issues, i'd like to know whether the 0w20 grade might be harmuful for my engine...dont we focus on the warranty but on the engine..also considering my future oil changes..

Yes, using a wrong viscosity oil can be potentially harmful. Especially you should never change operational viscosity in a manner to choose lower viscosity oil except if manufacturer specifically said it's ok to do so. This is not the case here. There are no common rail diesels specifying 0w20 oils to my knowledge.

But without taking into account all the warranty issues, i'd like to know whether the 0w20 grade might be harmuful for my engine...dont we focus on the warranty but on the engine..also considering my future oil changes..

Again, Fuchs Titan GT1 0W-20 is not any 0W-20 with it's ACEA C2 approval. IMO it would be an excellent oil choice for your light duty Honda diesel particularly considering your "light duty" useage.

CATERHAM, the oil carries no approvals at all.

Fuchs "recommends" it for C2 applications, A5/B5, SL, and GF-4.
http://www.fuchs.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?product_id=37362
http://www.generaloils.net/PI_TITAN-GT1-0W-20_e.pdf

I wouldn't consider a non ACEA approved oil, in the wrong viscosity grade for the manual, in an engine that you've got no operational experience, during warranty a sound recommendation.

"light duty" in a turbo-diesel still has insane cylinder pressures compared to an Astra.

Right, it's "recommended" by Fuchs.

Knowing how light some of VII containing "approved" C2 0W-30's are and how well this high performance ester based VII free oil performs, gives me confidence in Fuchs recommendation of their flagship product.

Since the OP wants an opinion warranty notwithstanding I stand by my recommendation.

I have googled "fuchs titan 0w20 test wear" and i found an interesting article...the problem is that I'm not enough literate about oils to understand it in every part... if someone wanted to lose his sleep to decipher it (maybe caterham could succeed) i'd really appreciate...

https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=-dzbVLqCJdKv7AaGw4GwBA&url=http://www.bam.de/en/service/publikationen/publikationen_medien/fb277e_vt.pdf&ved=0CCQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGVoaNTkRtME7D43COw5xOf_X4JLg&sig2=SOUVgfMC6eaznKvmJyhYuA

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LX289
Only diesels in cars in US are a VW's and Audis and the Chevrolet Cruze.

And BMW, and Mercedes.

Those two are panzer's, not cars.

What are Panzer's?
Awesome mileage 4l/100km's it equates to about nearly 60 mpg's.
Gets better than some hybrid cars here. amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, but to achieve that result (4l/100) i have really to drive like a granny..if i want to have fun, i do 5.5l/100...but it's still a fine result

Yeah, but to achieve that result (4l/100) i have really to drive like a granny.

Impressive. That's what I get in my bike, if I take it very easy.

Yeah, but to achieve that result (4l/100) i have really to drive like a granny..if i want to have fun, i do 5.5l/100...but it's still a fine result

7.6 litres in a 170HP petrol Alfa. Checkmate
wink.gif

If american Car manufacturers could figure out diesels in their vehicles we could get the mpg situation figured out too. Take something like a Ford Fusion and put a turbo diesel in that you could get like 40+ mpg's with it.

Originally Posted By: LX289
If american Car manufacturers could figure out diesels in their vehicles we could get the mpg situation figured out too. Take something like a Ford Fusion and put a turbo diesel in that you could get like 40+ mpg's with it.

Auto makers here seem to choose the hybrid route instead. Do you still get a hefty credit on your taxes if you buy one? A hybrid Fusion is rated at 41 mpg hwy. By comparison, a 1.5 gasoline turbo Fusion is rated at 37 hwy.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
But the most relevant point you've mentioned is that Fuchs recommends this oil for your engine. That would good enough for me and I wouldn't be second guessing them.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If Fuchs recommends their Titan GT1 0W-20 for your engine I would use it straight without reservation.

Looks like it's settled then...

Fuchs recommends a different oil for this engine than the Titan GT-1, of an appropriate viscosity grade.

They state that their oil meets (and is not tested) to an ACEA approval, make no recommendation towards the OPs engine, case, or situation.

In their oil chooser app, you can select the previous version of my civic always turbodiesel and you will find also the 0w20 grade. Further, i sent an email to their technical offices and they confirmed that i can use it. I have only to pay attention to the oil level in the first kms...but there should be no problems in their opinion

In their oil chooser app, you can select the previous version of my civic always turbodiesel and you will find also the 0w20 grade. Further, i sent an email to their technical offices and they confirmed that i can use it. I have only to pay attention to the oil level in the first kms...but there should be no problems in their opinion

Yeah Fuchs may recommend it, but Fuchs are not the vehicle manufacturer.

Shell Italy recommend a the 5w-30 grade. See my earlier post for what the Australian sites for Mobil Valvoline Shell Fuchs and Castrol recommend.

Your climate is not much different from Australia as these grades cover a wide range of temperatures from Tasmania (very cold in winter) to the Northern Territory near the equator and hot all year round.

Your call at your risk.

Golden rule I thought was to use the thinnest grade recommended by the Vehicle manufacturer not the Oil manufacturer. I guess some are being lead astray here from the norm.

Last edited:
thank you for all your comments... i think that, as i don't want to waste the 5 liters of 0w20 Fuchs that a friend of mine gave me, I have decided to blend this 0w20 with a 5W30 always from Fuchs..
I have to put 5 liters inside the engine..i think I will use 3,5 liters 5W30 and 1,5 liter 0w20.. the final result should be a grade of 3w27, more or less... both the grade of oil are of Fuchs with the same technology (XTL)
what do u think?

thank you for all your comments... i think that, as i don't want to waste the 5 liters of 0w20 Fuchs that a friend of mine gave me, I have decided to blend this 0w20 with a 5W30 always from Fuchs..
I have to put 5 liters inside the engine..i think I will use 3,5 liters 5W30 and 1,5 liter 0w20.. the final result should be a grade of 3w27, more or less... both the grade of oil are of Fuchs with the same technology (XTL)
what do u think?

Reread the no responses.

what do u think?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Fuchs makes only one oil with the ester Zn free chemistry that is the Titan GT1 0W-20. There 5W-30 XTL is a more conventional synthetic/additive formulation.

There is no such thing as a 3W-27 oil grade.
A SAE oil grade is a range of viscosities and a specialty 0W-20 like Fuchs Titan GT1 can actually be heavier in terms of operational viscosity than a 0W/5W-30 as I alluded to earlier.

You've gone to the trouble of researching the oil and Fuchs says it's suitable for your engine. What more do you want to know?
If you asked Fuchs about your suggested blend of their products (which is always a good idea) I suspect they would advise against it. They already state that while it is compatible with other motor oils for best results it's to be used straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back