PSA DV5RC in Peugeot 3008 II 1.5 BlueHDi 130: alternate oils

Hi,

I was wondering what bitog crowd would do when for a 2017+ euro6 DV5 engine (BlueHDi 1.5 130hp with DPF and SCR), the only oil specified by the manufacturer is 0W20 PSA B71 2010 on top of ACEA C5, is it safe for the engine to run a 5W30 C3, or C2 if it's changed on short intervals (no long-life) when the car isn't short tripped and we only have warm weather here.

B71 2010 + C5 are mid SAPS oils, with low HTHS (2.65 on the Yacco LUBE P 0W20). Is there still a benefit in engine wear to go with higher HTHS than recommended ?

I'd personally go with any 5W30 C3 and change oil every 10000-15000km rather than the "up to 40000km/2 years" flexible interval.

I've owned many cars with the 'DV' engine. Mainly Fords which usually specified WSS-M2C913D oil which is based around ACEA A5/B5. Always amazed me at the time that Ford were still using high SAPS oils in diesel engines with DPF's etc.

I personally always used ACEA C3 oils in them being the thickie that I am!

I had one Ford Focus 1.5TDCi which was a terrible diluter. Over a 3000mile OCI it would add around 300ml to the oil level. I used to buy 15w40 ACEA E9 oils in bulk and replace every 3,000miles. Just change the filter every 12k when the service reminder would pop up.

I've owned many cars with the 'DV' engine. Mainly Fords which usually specified WSS-M2C913D oil which is based around ACEA A5/B5. Always amazed me at the time that Ford were still using high SAPS oils in diesel engines with DPF's etc.

I had one Ford Focus 1.5TDCi which was a terrible diluter. Over a 3000mile OCI it would add around 300ml to the oil level. I used to buy 15w40 ACEA E9 oils in bulk and replace every 3,000miles. Just change the filter every 12k when the service reminder would pop up.
And same engines in Peugeot/Citroën vehicles are usually specified for 5W30 C2 ; I pour C3 in those with DPF, and 10W40 A3/B4 in those without DPF

And same engines in Peugeot/Citroën vehicles are usually specified for 5W30 C2 ; I pour C3 in those with DPF, and 10W40 A3/B4 in those without DPF

I think the early PSA DV6's were specc'd for an ACEA A3/B4 oil without a DPF and ACEA C2 with a DPF. Why would the DPF models have a thinner oil than the non-DPF models?

Ford just threw their 5w30 WSS-M2C913D in all of them.

But the early DV6's were pretty unreliable.

Last edited:
Just use a VAG 504/507 approved oil. Cheap and widely available. Fully emissions system compatible.

Out of warranty I wouldn’t want to be using a 0w20 oil either. Especially one with a HTHS of 2.6

Hi,

I was wondering what bitog crowd would do when for a 2017+ euro6 DV5 engine (BlueHDi 1.5 130hp with DPF and SCR), the only oil specified by the manufacturer is 0W20 PSA B71 2010 on top of ACEA C5, is it safe for the engine to run a 5W30 C3, or C2 if it's changed on short intervals (no long-life) when the car isn't short tripped and we only have warm weather here.

B71 2010 + C5 are mid SAPS oils, with low HTHS (2.65 on the Yacco LUBE P 0W20). Is there still a benefit in engine wear to go with higher HTHS than recommended ?

I'd personally go with any 5W30 C3 and change oil every 10000-15000km rather than the "up to 40000km/2 years" flexible interval.
Shell Ultra Professional AP-L 0w30 is what She’ll advise, it’s a C2 oil that meets PSA B71 2312

Part of your issue might have been using a non Low SAPs oil, as the 1.5 tdci was never available without a DPF, the earlier 1.4TDCi and 1.6 TDCi could be bought without a DPF for the first couple of years.

Citroen and Peugeot were both early adopters of DPF technology and had DPFs fitted before it was compulsory, some Fords and Citroen/Pugs/Volvos also had Eloys Fluid years before any other manufacturer.

I think the early PSA DV6's were specc'd for an ACEA A3/B4 oil without a DPF and ACEA C2 with a DPF. Why would the DPF models have a thinner oil than the non-DPF models?

Ford just threw their 5w30 WSS-M2C913D in all of them.

But the early DV6's were pretty unreliable.

It was mostly the 110 bhp versions that were unreliable, in 16v form (euro 4 engines). Back then they all got +3.5 cP HTHS oils though. Excessive soot from using a lot of egr and overly optimistic oci are a killer combination

Part of your issue might have been using a non Low SAPs oil, as the 1.5 tdci was never available without a DPF, the earlier 1.4TDCi and 1.6 TDCi could be bought without a DPF for the first couple of years.

Citroen and Peugeot were both early adopters of DPF technology and had DPFs fitted before it was compulsory, some Fords and Citroen/Pugs/Volvos also had Eloys Fluid years before any other manufacturer.

That eolys worked very well, never ever had cars coming in with high oil levels from excessive regens. I've later tried to dose it manually in cars that didn't normally get it and it helped them with regens very well also. The latest version used iron as a catalyst, it might have influenced UOA but iron molecules (rust) out the exhaust are pretty harmless I would think.

That eolys worked very well, never ever had cars coming in with high oil levels from excessive regens. I've later tried to dose it manually in cars that didn't normally get it and it helped them with regens very well also. The latest version used iron as a catalyst, it might have influenced UOA but iron molecules (rust) out the exhaust are pretty harmless I would think.

I never thought of adding small amounts of Eolys to a car with DPF issues!

That said, is Eolys still Ferrocene based? I use Archoil 6900D in our diesels which does contain Ferrocene. Never had a DPF issue, even in the cars that do short journeys.

today I'm going for OpenParts XK1 Evolution 5W30 C3. Lets see how it goes compared to the pasts oil changes for the owner
So I changed the oil and filter again after 15000km. the car was overall giving better engine feelings to the driver and stopped using any noticeable amount of oil. what was in before the first oil change I made when doing this post wasn't 0w20 but 0w30 C2 PSA B2312 and I used Yacco Vidange Optimizer (engine oil flush). And I went again for a 5W30 C3, VW504/507. Let's see how it continues to evolve now that the engine passed the 100000km mark and the serious issues with those are related to the chain linking the two camshafts sprockets

I never thought of adding small amounts of Eolys to a car with DPF issues!

That said, is Eolys still Ferrocene based? I use Archoil 6900D in our diesels which does contain Ferrocene. Never had a DPF issue, even in the cars that do short journeys.
Some of the early in tank additives for DPFs were very similar to Eloys, their function being to reduce the temperature required for a Regen especially for cars used in Cities

JLM was one of the first, though they have several different priloducts now, as do Launch UK

Back