Fuchs GT1 0W20-2yrs/14,348km-10 Ford Focus 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample 1: Factory Fill - 1,451km
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2266283

Sample 2: Fuchs Titan GT1 0W20 - 7,415km - TBN 14.11 - OCI 12 months
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2585658&page=1

Sample 3: Fuchs Titan GT1 0W20 XTL - 7,110km - TBN 6.09 - OCI 12 months - Initial TBN 8.88
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2951750

Sample 4: Fuchs Titan GT1 0W20 XTL - 14,348km - TBN 5.95 - OCI 24 months

-------------------
Notes: 1L of oil was replaced at approximately half way through the OCI through the dipstick via a suction pump. I did this as I wasn't sure if the oil had the reserve to make it another 12 months as I was overseas. Filter was M1-102.
-------------------
Comments on report:
Wear metals are within acceptable limits.
Silicon is at elevated levels possibly indicating dust entry.
Monitor silicon trend next sample.
Please check intake ducting system as a precaution against dust entry.
------------------
Driving Conditions:
All city driving
------------------
Refilled with: Fuchs GT1 0w20 XTL
Filter: M1-102
OCI: 24 months
------------------
No idea where they got the initial TBN of 8.00 from as I did a virgin TBN of the same oil last change and got a value of 8.88. I will asked them and report back.

Seems very strange that sample #3 had 4.3L and 7,110km on it and had a TBN of 6.09 yet this sample (#4) had 4.3L (plus a 1L replacement half way through the OCI) and did 14,348kms and had a TBN of 5.95.
------------------
Additional information:
The oil I used for this change was bought about 1 year ago. After shaking the bottle I poured the oil in. Close to the end of the bottle I notice the oil was not pouring out in its usual fluid way. I stopped and inspected the remaining oil in the bottle to which I found the below picture. It appears to be a thin layer of 'solids' which I had disturbed upon shaking the bottle.

I then called Fuchs (AUS) and told them about my findings. I was told to dump the new oil and return to where I bought it from for a replacement and so they could test the contents.

After returning home I poured some of the new oil in without the drain plug installed attempting to flush out remaining 'solids'. Inspecting my catch pan I collected some of this layer. When I rubbed it between by fingers it disintegrated back into the surrounding oil.

Over the next 6 months I’ll decide if I change to a different oil and different testing lab as I wasn't overly happy with either this time round plus I will soon have 3 cars on 0w20.

Remaining new oil (kept for top ups, if required) from sample #3, approx 3 years old.
------------------
Sample 3 before change:

Sample 3 after change:

Sample 4 before change:

Sample 4 after change:

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Nice, report. But that low Zn, is real?

Yep, it's a "zinc free" oil.

OP, that gluggy stuff is concerning.

I'm using the Fuchs GT1 XTL 0W-20 that I bought about two years ago and there was none of the gel like fall out that you have.
Years ago before joining BITOG I experienced something similar with a semi-syn house brand 15W-50 and I simply took what was left back to the retailer for a refund. I had used the same oil previously with no gel in the oil.

Don't know what to say about the cam lobe wear marks other than it doesn't look bad. When did you first notice it?
Was it there when you first changed the factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back