FSC and UCL all-in-one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been mixing ~4 oz of Techron and ~4 oz of TC-W3 2-stroke oil into each tank (10 gal) on my little beater car.

Does it keep the fuel system clean? No idea. TCW3 probably helps the fuel pump a little and might act as an UCL. Techron is supposed to clean stuff. Sounds good to me.

How did you come to the specific mixture you're using? Techron obviously for cleaning, but I am not familiar with the TCW3.

Read around this particular forum, there is a "definitive" TCW-3 thread, with all kinds of ratio/dosage recommendations
smile.gif
But the most popular seems to be 1 oz. of TCW-3 per 5 gallons of fuel....preferably added BEFORE pumping, so you can get it down the throat/filler tube of your gas tank :p The gas'll help wash it down into the tank
smile.gif

Other than TCW-3?

There's Marvel Mystery Oil

Lucas is "the original" (in my book - being that it being the first product I ever seen that mentioned the term "upper cylinder lubrication" on the packaging....) UCL.....BUT, I would NOT consider it a fuel system cleaner.....it's been stated here previously it doesn't contain much "detergency" at all.....compared to say TCW-3, MMO, etc....

Seafoam is another good one, depending on who you ask, you'll find haters, and lovers of the product; according to the public MSDS sheets available, it's primarily Naptha (think lighter fluid?), IPA (another words, 100% rubbing alcohol....the stuff in your medicine cabinet is likely only 93% alcohol, 7% WATER...), and a light based "oil"...

Seems STP is getting "back in the game" per se too now! They got a new "Multipurpose Additive" out, advertised on their site, and facebook profile, which is gonna be the supposed Seafoam competition....and I don't know.....it could beat it out, if it performs as good....the STP is $2 cheaper in my neck of the woods ($6 and some change, Seafoam is $8 and some change....) - and the whole "jab" at Seafoam seems to be that the STP product does NOT or will NOT contain "alcohol" which is supposidely bad for fuel tanks, engines, etc....can cause combusion problems, allegedly....but I dunno, I've had no problems with Seafoam the many times I've used it!

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil for 3 tanks now in the jeep as a UCL and mild cleaner and haven't had any bad effects. I like its availability and price.

MMO is probably the closest to an all purpose fuel additive.
It DOES clean and keep clean [to a degree], and has decent to pretty good lubricating properties.
2 stroke oil [TCW3 version] is GREAT for lubrication, but is in no way a cleaner.
With modern fuels, regular harsh cleaning is unnecessary.
Use a premium Techron cleaner once or twice a year.

How much is TCW3?
MMO has cost me 4 bucks for 250 dollars worth of gasoline. (7 ounces for 19 gallons)

plus i used a little for the generator when we had a power outage and had it running for 8 hours.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Hm, I'm gonna have to try that STP multipurpose additive.

Picked some up tonight at Maomart. Next tank will try it.

Hm, I'm gonna have to try that STP multipurpose additive.

Picked some up tonight at Maomart. Next tank will try it.

It was $5, while Seafoam was $9.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I thought RedLine SI1 has both cleaner and UCL in it.

That's what it says on the label. I tried it last time since I was able to get it cheaper than Regane, believe it or not.

I love this stuff. I squirt a little in with quite a few of my fill ups and I am confident my engine runs smoother. I have no idea if that means it runs better...but I like it.

OK, so now I can ask... Is a FSC and UCL even needed in modern engines with the quality of fuels available? Seems most of the big name fuels have detergent packages. Maybe the UCL is needed with more Ethanol fuels at every pump. I have read there can be adverse affects on the fuel system and engine. Do Ethanol fuels make a UCL a requirement? Thoughts, ideas, data? TIA

I thought RedLine SI1 has both cleaner and UCL in it.

It definitely has a heavier oil component to it if you let it sit too long.

Talking about Redline, the latest one I got does NOT have the graduated markings on it. It also says "use the full content every 3000 miles". There is no mention of using it on an on-going basis. I purchased it from Amazon.

Talking about Redline, the latest one I got does NOT have the graduated markings on it. It also says "use the full content every 3000 miles". There is no mention of using it on an on-going basis. I purchased it from Amazon.

I know. I complained to them sometime back.

I just eyeball it, less is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back