FS2500 vs. Amsoil Bypass Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to FS2500, their filter is 2.78 microns absolute.

http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/product.html

According to Amsoil, their bypass filter is 2 micron absolute.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

The difference between the two is that FS2500 claims you have to replace the filter element every 10,000 miles.

http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/service-pickup2.html

But Amsoil says their filter can go up to 60,000 miles under normal operating conditions.

"Normal Service Life: When used in conjunction with AMSOIL motor oil and an EaO or Donaldson Endurance filter, the EaBP should be changed every other full flow filter change up to 60,000 miles. When used with other brands of motor oil or full flow filters, the EaBP filter should be changed every other full flow filter change. AMSOIL recommends using oil analysis when extending oil drain intervals."

So say with Amsoil under severe conditions, you should change the filter a little sooner, say up to 40,000 miles instead of 60,000. And say FS2500 is playing it a little conservative with their 10,000 mile filter change suggestion, so you can go up to 20,000 miles in reality.

There's still some discrepancy between the two companies.

Can someone explain the reasoning for that? What is the suggested Amsoil bypass filter change interval when it is NOT used with a Eao or Donaldson Endurance full-flow filter?

My opinion is that both filters do what they claim, it's just a marketing thing to suggest oil filter change intervals. But I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

I just bought an Amsoil bypass to replace my Frantz. I like the Frantz and nothing against it but my goal is to extend OCI's; therefore, saving oil and reducing maintenance time as well.

I'm not familiar with the FS2500, but I'll take a stab at it.

The FS2500 is a pretty large filter, and from the looks of the website, it is intended for large diesel vehicles such as semi-tractors. These vehicles generate a fair amount of soot, which would blind this filter quicker than an Amsoil EaBP filtering a gasoline engine. Notice that Amsoil says "up to 60,000 miles".

But I agree with the marketing reasons as well. If you really want to know how long a bypass filter element is good for, check to see if it still gets hot. When it's plugged up, it won't get hot. I'm going 30,000 miles on the EaBP-90 (the smallest one), and it's still doing its job (based on my UOAs and it's still getting hot).

That's a good point. I didn't really think about the gas engine aspect on Amsoil's claims. I assumed they were talking about diesel engines since they had Powerstroke, Duramax, and Cummins oil filler caps on the same page as their single bypass kit. I also assumed the 10k filter change interval recommended by FS2500 was intended for regular pickups and cars, not OTR trucks. So yeah, I guess it makes sense unless my assumptions are right. The FS2500 is a little bigger so it should have a little more capacity and last longer if anything.

Quote:
So say with Amsoil under severe conditions, you should change the filter a little sooner, say up to 40,000 miles instead of 60,000. And say FS2500 is playing it a little conservative with their 10,000 mile filter change suggestion, so you can go up to 20,000 miles in reality.

Not complaining here, it's just an observational anomaly. Why would you discount Amsoil's recommended change out interval under the assumption that your duty is somewhat severe ..yet extend FS2500's under some assumption that it's (their recommendation) conservative?
54.gif

If you want to see this topic violently discussed, Look here. I tried to be polite - REALLY

Quote:
What is the suggested Amsoil bypass filter change interval when it is NOT used with a Eao or Donaldson Endurance full-flow filter?

Longer Lasting
When used in conjunction with AMSOIL motor oil and an AMSOIL EaO or Donaldson Endurance™ filter, the EaBP Filter should be changed every other full-flow filter change up to 60,000 miles. When used with other brands of motor oil or full-flow filters, the EaBP Filter should be changed every other full-flow filter change. AMSOIL recommends using oil analysis when extending oil drain intervals.

The way this spells out is that if you're using your OEM recommended OCI/FCI ..that you're doing every other FCI for the bypass change interval.

let's say your OCI/FCI is 15k (or whatever). You would be changing out the sump and full flow at 15k and the bypass @ 30k.

OTOH, if you're using the correct Amsoil product and filtration, then it's still "every other" OCI, it's just that the OCI is longer.

Ah thanks for the link. The only reason I reduced Amsoil's interval and extended FS2500's is to consider the extremes. Not saying that's the case, but thinking even if it were, then...

Anyway, I will be using a Donaldson Endurance full flow filter (aka Amsoil) so I should be good for a while. :D

BTW Gary, I put your Amsoil dealer number down when I ordered. I remember you had helped me with some stuff in the past.

Yes! I got my Amsoil bypass filter kit today. I love it when I get a package in the mail with goodies.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Yes! I got my Amsoil bypass filter kit today. I love it when I get a package in the mail with goodies.
grin2.gif

LOL.gif
banana2.gif
It does have a "present opening" aspect to it, doesn't it?
grin2.gif

Thanks for putting my dealer number in the referral field!

Solid choice. Congrats!

I believe that the reality is this, though: it doesn't matter. Why do I say this? Because, if you peruse most of the bypass fitler sites, you'll get a lot of hype as to how far down they can filter absolute. I personally like the Oil Guard site, because I feel they are the most realistic and truthfull. Not that the others lie, but Oil Guard goes into some very specific detail, and quotes their sources in many cases. (NOTE: I am NOT intending to start a brand war argument here, after all. I just believe that the Oil Guard has the most detailed info, not just for their product, but the concept of bypass filtration in general.)

I think most informed people would agree that the greatest amount of engine damage comes from particles in the 5-15um range. Since all the major players in bypass filtration (Amsoil, Oil Guard, Filtration Solutions, Motor Guard, Frantz, Gulf Coast, etc) can ALL filter very effectively below 5um (most are absolute at 2 - 3 um) then the debate of which one is best, is moot as far as filtration effectiveness goes. They all work well enough to perform the job at hand.

So, initial system cost, packaging, installation, ease of service, cost of replacement elements, OCI length, etc, all become criteria to judge upon.

Amsoil has a very nice product that functions quite well, and you made a fine selection. Is it the "best"? I don't know there's a good answer for that. But, if it's the "best" for you, THAT is what matters. And supporting our sponsors doesn't hurt, either!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back