Fry's Electronics Shuts Down All Stores

The company, which had 31 stores across nine US states, said in a statement on its website that it "made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently" because of changing consumer shopping habits and the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Based in San Jose, California, the privately held company was a family business. It was founded in 1985 by the three Fry brothers with the goal of being a "Silicon Valley retail electronics store to provide a one-stop-shopping environment for the Hi-Tech Professional."

They are blaming covid but in realty they failed to adapt to changing consumer needs and trends. Tey were expensive and had the worst customer service. They also had a big issue with upper management embezzeling millions of dollars. I built my first computer from some components I bought at Frys, but found most components significantly cheaper on Newegg. The big box retail is a cut throat business, with low margins, and companies thatdontorcantadat will fail. Such is life.

Microcenter seems to do really well in the brick and mortar space still. I guess Fry's just couldn't adapt fast enough. I'd kill to have a Microcenter in my area. I'd have to drive an hour to Baltimore or Philly

I saw this coming at least 3 years ago when I noticed that there were a LOT of empty shelves and very few customers in the store. I spent a lot of money in there over the years.

I went to one about two years ago in GA, I was the only one there except the employees....felt very eerie in such a large store.

When I moved to Austin about 10 years ago, it was like going to a computer geek wonderland.

The Austin store is about as big as a Walmart, and in it's hayday they had a cafe inside as well.

It's too bad, but like everyone else Amazon did them in.

I will miss roaming the aisles.

That's a shame. None by me but I was quite impressed with Fry's when I was in Las Vegas some years ago.

I went to BestBuy a few days ago. Place was hopping. Prices the same as Amazon. Free shipping. They are trying very hard to be competitive. I would definitely shop there again.

I went to BestBuy a few days ago. Place was hopping. Prices the same as Amazon. Free shipping. They are trying very hard to be competitive. I would definitely shop there again.
I am starting to agree with you.

I bought my last 2 TV sets from Best Buy, and got great deals.

Amazon does not have 2 hour shipping here, and that has had me buying from Best Buy on several occasions.

Still many small items are just too high priced (cables, cords), but the TV's and most electronics are priced right.

I recently bought a new washer and dryer at Best Buy.
2 day delivery and they set them both up, connected and leveled,took the old ones away.
Plus 18 months no interest using their credit card.
Couldn't be more happy with their service.

My wife is an independent computer tech. She buys RAM at Best Buy for a customer. Customer decides to not repair, and buy a new computer instead. Wife returns the RAM, still totally sealed in the hard plastic shrink wrap, with the receipt the next day. Best Buy refuses to accept it. Gives some kind of bogus excuse why. It was so ridiculous that other customers waiting in line starts to speak up against Best Buy. Their customer service is terrible. They lost my wife's business.

BestBuy is the place to go for my electronic needs; anything I bought there it lasted the longest

BestBuy is the place to go for my electronic needs; anything I bought there it lasted the longest

They don't really have a large selection of components. That's the one thing Fry's was really good at. However, at this point fewer people are building their own setups or just going to online purchases.

BestBuy is laying off people and closing stores as well. They're shifting more to online business, I guess. Fry's online business was struggling as they haven't invested much in their website which was a PITA to navigate and shop.

Microcenter seems to do really well in the brick and mortar space still. I guess Fry's just couldn't adapt fast enough. I'd kill to have a Microcenter in my area. I'd have to drive an hour to Baltimore or Philly
I think Microcenter does ok, but they're not expanding.

Back