Frustration with continuing "staffing issues"

One of countless examples, let's take Walmart. $110k for a truck driver, $200k for a general manager. That's wonderful, imho above industry standard. Yet they have started layoffs. To me, simply upping pay isn't how one attracts great workers. I suppose I'm fortunate, I would say I'm overpaid at my job. I'm loyal, don't even have a CV, and keep on chugging. But there are folks at my co with 30-50 years tenure, so I'm not alone (I have 12). I've seen 70 y.o people leave my co., and come back a few years later. While my employer does a lot right? Our benefits su**. I was happy as a clam until my wife left the workforce and I had to pick up healthcare. Since Walmart among others can't find truck drivers, should they look in the mirror and increase the pay? My town has patrolman making $170k and it's not easy to hire cops. Up the pay? :ROFLMAO:

Maybe the issue is actually unsolvable, like puzzles we were given in HS where one piece of info was missing. Oh another example of my lousy benefits lol I received documentation that I had to do deferred compensation, not 401k (lopsided). I felt I would be losing about 20k/yr but had no choice, then in the 11th hour no longer had to and OK to remain in 401k. some of you would say how can you work for such a co that's bizarre
It's not that simple. I'm sure the entry level cops make 40k. I remember before I graduated college in 2014 looking at some police positions in my town, and they were starting $32-35k after completing the academy. $32k-35k to get shot at and deal with the scum of society? No thanks. You can make 50-60k entry level just working from home for an insurance company like I did right out of college.

The issue in my opinion is that there are so many boomers retiring, or holding on to high salaries that companies aren't able to hire new employees at a competitive wage. Hear me out, I'm not blaming boomers at all, it's just because there is a much larger percentage of that age range retiring or staying in the workforce longer than ever before. Add in that you have unsustainable retirement packages (full salary pensions) and every state agency, municipality, or company who offered that is going broke. My grandfather is 82. He retired at 55 with a pension that pays his full salary along with cost of living increases. He has made more during the years he has been retired than over the entire course of his working life.

In my department we have a lady who is 77 and still working. She does absolutely nothing besides walk around and talk to people, she makes $189k a year, because the pay structure has allowed her to get to that level based on longevity. There is no incentive for her to retire. Good for her, but her department also can't afford to hire another secretary besides a part-time student for $10/hr. We also have professors who recently retired, they get a full pension. They then come back and teach part-time for a few months to make even more money on top of their pension, and the department wonders why they can't find anyone with a PhD to replace that professor for $42k a year. You can't offer starting salaries that don't keep up with inflation and expect people to come running to your job. My dad started in an entry level position at the University I work at currently back in 1986 making $32k a year. That same position just opened up a few months ago... $36k a year.

The math just doesn't work and organizations are finding that out the hard way.

It's not that simple. I'm sure the entry level cops make 40k. I remember before I graduated college in 2014 looking at some police positions in my town, and they were starting $32-35k after completing the academy. $32k-35k to get shot at and deal with the scum of society? No thanks. You can make 50-60k entry level just working from home for an insurance company like I did right out of college.

The issue in my opinion is that there are so many boomers retiring, or holding on to high salaries that companies aren't able to hire new employees at a competitive wage. Hear me out, I'm not blaming boomers at all, it's just because there is a much larger percentage of that age range retiring or staying in the workforce longer than ever before. Add in that you have unsustainable retirement packages (full salary pensions) and every state agency, municipality, or company who offered that is going broke. My grandfather is 82. He retired at 55 with a pension that pays his full salary along with cost of living increases. He has made more during the years he has been retired than over the entire course of his working life.

In my department we have a lady who is 77 and still working. She does absolutely nothing besides walk around and talk to people, she makes $189k a year, because the pay structure has allowed her to get to that level based on longevity. There is no incentive for her to retire. Good for her, but her department also can't afford to hire another secretary besides a part-time student for $10/hr. We also have professors who recently retired, they get a full pension. They then come back and teach part-time for a few months to make even more money on top of their pension, and the department wonders why they can't find anyone with a PhD to replace that professor for $42k a year. You can't offer starting salaries that don't keep up with inflation and expect people to come running to your job. My dad started in an entry level position at the University I work at currently back in 1986 making $32k a year. That same position just opened up a few months ago... $36k a year.

this is why we need to bring back mandatory retirement. Repeal the ADEA, or at least modify it to allow employers to mandate retirement at 70

The boomers are just finally starting to retire now, and only because of the pandemic. Otherwise, they'd still be there

this is why we need to bring back mandatory retirement. Repeal the ADEA, or at least modify it to allow employers to mandate retirement at 70

The boomers are just finally starting to retire now, and only because of the pandemic. Otherwise, they'd still be there
Not sure if mandatory retirement is the answer, but incentivize people to retire instead of fostering systems where people are encouraged to stay forever and get unsustainable retirements. Even the state is aware that it isn't going to work. Jobs where people are retiring with a pension now offer no pension, some don't even contribute to 401k, they just tell you how much to contribute. :LOL:

I think it will end up getting worse though, and it will come down to funding pensions vs. business continuity.

How many parents would want their high school aged son to become an automatic transmission tech in 2022? If I was a parent I wouldn’t.

Jobs like this are very tough on your back and body. At 60 years you will feel like you’re 80.

The person working for the insurance company isn't getting a gold plated medical plan and luxurious defined benefit pension like the police officer (or other public employee).

77 and still working…. ?
She might be widow and needs to get out of the house and stimulate her brain.

Younger folks today will ‘job hop’ and look for better opportunities and pay.

I have a nice pension after 35 years on the job. Luckily I invested wisely and really don’t need it.

Last edited:
I wonder if the mantra that vehicles will all be electric is discouraging people from becoming diesel mechanics. Why train for a job that might not exist in 10 years? (Their logic, not necessarily mine.) We've had similar discussions about the claimed shortage of truck drivers and the mantra that all the trucks will be self-driving soon. Why train for that field, then? Or why stay in it?
Why train for a job that will not pay off my education investment. There is your answer.

I believe it. There are some in my town that make that, but they've also been there since horses were patrol vehicles...
In Ohio, public employee's pay is public record (not just their "salary", their actual year-end income). There are a few police officers (street patrol) who pull in close to $100k but they work TONS of overtime. I'd really like to see where these folks are making $150k+ (outside of Silicon Valley CA areas).

How many parents would want their high school aged son to become an automatic transmission tech in 2022? If I was a parent I wouldn’t.
I would be proud of my children if they wanted to do a productive job like a transmission tech. They would likely make more money than my wife (teacher with a masters degree), and probably 80% of other college graduates.

I would be proud of my children if they wanted to do a productive job like a transmission tech. They would likely make more money than my wife (teacher with a masters degree), and probably 80% of other college graduates.
Agree wholeheartedly as long as they are happy, healthy and enjoy what they are doing I would never discourage them. I was taught at a young age that you never look down at someone because of their profession or income

In Ohio, public employee's pay is public record (not just their "salary", their actual year-end income). There are a few police officers (street patrol) who pull in close to $100k but they work TONS of overtime. I'd really like to see where these folks are making $150k+ (outside of Silicon Valley CA areas).

In Prince William County, Virginia, the minimum level that will get you $150k a year is a police captain and then you have to have 26 years to get that.

A police officer tops out at $95k a year after 20 years.

And Prince William County, Virginia is a high cost of living area, located just 30 miles west of Our Nation's Capital and 30 miles south of the richest county in the USA, Loudoun County, Virginia.

Then there's this, and lots of employers play this game:

Nobody wants to work.jpg

I work for a multi-billion dollar company and struggle to find any correlation with this rant ^^^

I rode by a local Volvo dealer that was begging for techs. Up to $144K/year. The trades are also bleeding too.

I talked to a cop the other day ago. Even they can’t hire officers. He told me he left his old position in Hawaii that was paying 1/3rd his current salary.

I work for a multi-billion dollar company and struggle to find any correlation with this rant ^^^
It isn't as common in the corporate world, most people retire in corporate the first chance they get. When I worked in the insurance industry there weren't many people I worked with who were above 60. In state government, I'd say most of the people were in that age group.

It isn't as common in the corporate world, most people retire in corporate the first chance they get. When I worked in the insurance industry there weren't many people I worked with who were above 60. In state government, I'd say most of the people were in that age group.
Yeah what we don’t see are those who “plan” to leave at 55 … Some wind up promoted around 52-55 based on ranking - that normally retains them around 5 years … Someone like the lady you mentioned might wind up in the bottom 10% - and those folks face a tough personal improvement plan - or can take 4 months pay and free outplacement services …
I’m not sure what percentage of US workers even get a pension anymore - and we sure don’t provide pensions equal to salary - most of our folks pack up between 60-65 …

Back