front wheel bearings - amsoil GHD or GLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! New here, nice forum.

I've got a new 3/4 ton diesel Ram truck and I'm installing aftermarket manual lockout hubs in a couple of weeks. I'm trying to figure out a good grease to use for the new wheel bearings. I'm in the process of switching all my other oils out to amsoil and thought maybe their grease would be fine. Problem is I'm not sure which one would be best to use (links below for specs) GHD or GLC?

Also, I'm not deadset on using amsoil grease and I know this is kind of a broad question but if there is something else out there that's quality stuff and I can buy it off the store shelf at autozone, wal mart, etc I'm open to suggestions.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ghd.aspx
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/glc.aspx

I have no experience using those greases in a wheel bearing application. I've used the racing grease, which costs a lot more, for wheel bearings and have had good luck. Whichever one you decide on, be sure to pull back the plunger on your grease gun to take the pressure off the grease when the gun is not in use. Otherwise, the grease/base oil can separate and the oil may run out of your gun while it's in storage.

According to Amsoil, the GLC is their preferred grease for wheel bearings, but the GHD will work, too. I think that the GHD may be more intended for low speed, chassis lube points, but will work ok for wheel bearings also. Shoot a PM to Pablo or Gary Allen, the site sponsors for Amsoil.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna go with the GRG on this little job.

One more thing, could I also use it for universal joints or should I use a different grease for that?

Well I installed my free spin hubs on the truck a couple of days ago and the new wheel bearings were packed with Amsoil GRG. Here's a few pics of my rig:

11758750_1024.ts1183594508000.jpg

11758999_1024.ts1183595540000.jpg

11759136_1024.ts1183596197000.jpg

11759292_1024.ts1183596902000.jpg

11759423_1024.ts1183597590000.jpg

Quote:

For front wheel bearings this is best:

Amsoil Series 2000 grease

Pablo:

Would the Amsoil Synthetic Water-Resistant Grease be the best choice for a 4x4 rig that certainly could see some axle submersion?? Are the general/dry-operating lube-quality factors any less than with the Series 2000?

Thanks much.
The others will work as stated. Second choice would be GHD.

DiEseLjunKy, curious as to why you went with a aftermarket manual hub conversion versus keeping the original automatic locking setup. I'm not familiar enough with 4wd systems.

When you disengage 4WD on these trucks all you do is shift the transfer case to 2WD and it disengages but it leaves the front ring/pinion and all that stuff still turning up there. It creates a lot of drag and unnecessary wear on the front axle. When you have manual locking hubs you can unlock them and your front wheels spin freely giving you true 2WD. It's a minor annoyance having to get out of the truck and lock/unlock my hubs in switching back and forth between 4WD to 2WD but I've picked up 2+ mpg on highway driving since doing the conversion so it's well worth the trouble. Another advantage is if my front bearings are serviceable and in the unlikely event they do go out from neglect I can get replacements and races from any local napa, autozone, advance auto, etc for about $50 as opposed to the $600 for replacement non-serviceable factory unit bearings from Mopar. Ten or fifteen years ago Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all had manual lockout hubs from the factory but these days lazy people don't want to get out of their trucks to go in 4WD plus the fact that it saves a significant amount of time/money on the assembly line putting the simple sealed unit bearings on as they do now.

Thanks for the clarification on 4WD systems. I remember years ago that they had full time 4WD. That's great that you were able to get the extra gas mileage by going to manual hubs.

No, no, no!
laugh.gif
It's hard to see in the pic but I had it wired up to keep from damaging the hose. Those calipers were heavy!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back