Front wheel bearing hub assembly?

DR1

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with 147k miles on it. Today my mechanic put my truck up on the lift and he determined my front passenger side wheel bearing assembly was bad. He grabbed a hold of the tire and shook the tire and it was making a very noticeable rattling sound.

I don't notice anything while I just driving my truck. Should i get this fixed ASAP....OR am ok to drive for another month or so before I can save up some money? It's making me so nervous just thinking about this!

shook it? normally wheel bearing would be rumbling noise when spinning
Bad wheel bearings also make the wheel loose, you can move it in the knuckle because the bearing tolerances are out of spec. Those of us without a lift ordinarily wouldn't notice that first. But yes OP, get it done ASAP, a bad wheel bearing can overheat and lock up at speed, or get so hot the metal holding it to the body can melt and the wheel can literally fall off.

How much will he charge? The new bearing is around $100 for aftermarket and an hour of labor. $250 to $300 max OTD. And when the car is on a lift and the suspension is unload, it will have more play than when on the ground.

Sometimes bad wheel bearings make noise. Sometimes not. Not a hard rule in the slightest.

If he can wiggle the wheel in all directions unweighted, and you saw it, fix it quickly. It can rapidly wear other components with the added vibration. Yeah, you can likely get by another month, but it's not really worth it IMO. We are not talking monthly rent kinda money.

If it's not a 4wd, it shouldn't be hard to replace it yourself. Not sure how bearings are in this particular vehicle.

If it were mine I would do both sides and keep the good one as a spare.
I would request SKF or Timken hub assembly. SKF would be my first choice

I don't notice anything while I just driving my truck. Should i get this fixed ASAP....OR am ok to drive for another month or so before I can save up some money? It's making me so nervous just thinking about this!
Fix it ASAP. If you have to save up the $$$, put the job on your credit card, save the $$$, and then pay off the card next month. If you have to pay some small amount of interest, so be it. The potential damage that a bad bearing can cause could be far greater than a few dollars in interest.

Last edited:
It can also be ball joints, tie rod ends or sway bar links rattling when you move the wheel. Being that it's at a mechanic, it's probably the hub/bearing.

This doesn't add up. The mechanic found play by moving the wheel, yet you don't detect any problem while driving. If the play was so bad it could be detected by moving the wheel, it should have made plenty of noise while driving. I suspect the mechanic misdiagnosed the problem and only detected play in the suspension.

Back