EV driver with bald front tires

The car could be terribly out of alignment from factory or an early incident the owner did not mention.

My 17yo daughter in 2 months went from 6/32” to bald over 3k miles with a likely incident she won’t admit to. The alignment shop thought car was driven into ditch given how far off whack it was. Steering wheel was noticeably off center to drive straight.

I look out my window at my trucks and am now worried my wallet will be impacted! My tires will now start wearing out faster now that I've read this thread. After all, they are heavy and powerful.

They told me that BS also

USING the OEM LRRs
I rotated once and got 50k out of the front and 70k out of the rear on a 2013 Volt.

If you followed the recommended pressures on the door you would only get 12k, I used 50-60psi and things went much better

Sadly no matter what the edges of the tires start from the factory looking bald and stay that way through worn out, they never showed wires so I didn’t worry about it

OEMs tires often suck on non-sports cars. I doubt EV tire wear is going to really be a big issue. German cars already weigh what a Tesla does basically.

Taking this thread's info and all the rest I've read I'm sticking with my decision to.....
Wait until the imbeciles who make these rocket fast electric vehicles tailor the available torque and acceleration down to more common and usable levels before I even think of owning one.

Ease up on the "smugness factor" of EVs. You can also make fun of people addicted to the newness of them as well as the breakneck speed. I'm willing to bet lots of people who can afford EVs actually know how excessive they are in terms of needlessness and material cost.
They just choose to ignore it and have fun with a new toy. ....just as your dear old daddy did back in the '50's.

Me? I never needed or wanted to go 80 mph in 2 seconds. ...or pay for tires which can.
I have no reason to do a 0-60 run, but merging onto a freeway or changing lanes is a breeze. The convenience of starting every day with a "full tank" is pretty amazing as compared to gassing up. EVs are not for everyone, but if they fit your particuliar use case, and you want one, you just might like one. In another year or so, you might be able to buy a $25K car.
I like all kinds of cars and trucks. EVs have a place but again, are not for everyone.

Neighbor kid swapped his 2022 Model 3 LR for a 2017 Model X AWD
I told him take it easy on the tires, because a set of the staggered all around Pirelli's are about $1600 PLUS MOUNT & BALANCE
Can't say I didn't warn him :eek:
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
1687051325580.jpg

Good onya for for speaking up Finklejag. so many dullards out there who don't give a rat's ar.. about the safety of others, let alone themselves. And so many in poser cars too. we have the same discrepancy in Australia. some states require annual inspaections and some don't.

It probably negates all the fuel savings of driving a EV even if your electricity is free.
Something else [the difference in the cost of tires] is often not factored in when the savings per mile driven over an ICE vehicle is calculated.

Last edited:
Heard this just recently, that most EVs if driven correctly will not need break pads for at least 80k due to regen braking, but may go through three sets of tires in that same length of mileage. Torque and weight are tire killers, and we all know that EVs have both of these physic charecteristics in spades.
They use narrow tires also for better mileage.

Neighbor kid swapped his 2022 Model 3 LR for a 2017 Model X AWD
I told him take it easy on the tires, because a set of the staggered all around Pirelli's are about $1600 PLUS MOUNT & BALANCE
Can't say I didn't warn him :eek:
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
View attachment 161897
Comes with the territory though. My BMW (ICE) tires cost the same or more. If you buy an 80k car or whatever a Model X costs you don’t get 205/55/16 all season tires. I can get a whole set of tires for my Mazda for what the rears cost on my BMW.

A not-so-wise man I know once said: you don’t buy an elephant to count the peanuts.

Last edited:
Do fossil fuel-burning vehicles not get bald tires ? Not sure what the relevance is that this vehicle was an EV except "bashing". If only that Leaf could rotate or replace its own tires....

Do fossil fuel-burning vehicles not get bald tires ? Not sure what the relevance is that this vehicle was an EV except "bashing". If only that Leaf could rotate or replace its own tires....
I think the main point is the even an economy car EV, can be hard on tires due to the torque, weight distribution, and weight.
Some of the leaf's come with 91 load rated tires, so you could probably switch to cheap 195/65R15 tires already on rims and get even more efficiency with a slightly narrower contact patch.
People can spend $1k on tires if they want on an economy car but they sure don't have too....

Because EV cars are known to have high torque, especially the front wheel drive Leaf. You love to input your opinions and condescending remarks on my threads and comments, why don’t you put me on your ignore list, because you were just added to mine.

Because EV cars are known to have high torque, especially the front wheel drive Leaf. You love to input your opinions and condescending remarks on my threads and comments, why don’t you put me on your ignore list, because you were just added to mine.
The wear is no different than a mini van.

Heavy sloppy front end, mediocre LRR tires, overly optimistically low recommended inflation pressures.

You will never get more than 25k out of a set of treads on a mini van and the same is true on an EV unless you keep tires aired up past the 30 psi recommended on the door

Back