Front strut replacement charge check

I didn't "take" anything from them. They are a repair shop, not a parts dealer. If there is a warranty problem, then I pay them again. I'll take that risk.
Shops are making their profits on a combo of parts and labor. When you come in with your own parts, they lose that potential..that was my point. Many shops don't allow this practice for that reason and also to ensure parts fit/warranty/etc. Your cost for this was v. good - no need to be concerned that you got hosed.

Yeah that's super cheap, most places won't let you supply your own parts either.
That is part of the problem, the shop making 30% on parts that simply pass through the work bay.
If I supply new parts still in the box and I accept responsibility for fitment, somebody will take the labor money.

Yeah but part of the 30% profit that they're making on parts covers the cost for redoing the job for free if those parts fail in a short amount of time. And nowadays with all the knockoff cheap parts that are out there that happens more often then it used to.

Yeah but part of the 30% profit that they're making on parts covers the cost for redoing the job for free if those parts fail in a short amount of time. And nowadays with all the knockoff cheap parts that are out there that happens more often then it used to.
Exactly. AM parts are not that great lol We have to warranty out stuff all of the time.

Also keep in mind you took any profit on parts from them by supplying your own stuff....nice that they even do that.
Don't worry, the shop jacked up either their hourly rate or the time it took for the job to make up for it. They are pre-assembled struts so how long can it take to replace? Two bolts at the knuckle, three nuts at the top. Half hour a side tops, and that includes lifting the car and pulling the wheels.

Don't worry, the shop jacked up either their hourly rate or the time it took for the job to make up for it. They are pre-assembled struts so how long can it take to replace? Two bolts at the knuckle, three nuts at the top. Half hour a side tops, and that includes lifting the car and pulling the wheels.
and they get the metal recycling money from my old parts, maybe not much but I'm sure it adds up over a weeks worth of jobs. They have a metal recycler truck that comes and picks up a full metal parts dumpster every Saturday morning at 0600, in a residential neighborhood with the backup alarm and everything, along with banging the empty dumpster back onto the pavement.

and they get the metal recycling money from my old parts, maybe not much but I'm sure it adds up over a weeks worth of jobs. They have a metal recycler truck that comes and picks up a full metal parts dumpster every Saturday morning at 0600, in a residential neighborhood with the backup alarm and everything, along with banging the empty dumpster back onto the pavement.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday I had a local shop that I have used for 20+ years replace my front struts on an 04 Escape. I brought them the preassembled Gabriel Ultra strut assemblies to install. The shop has gone through some management changes in recent years, just need a sanity check on the prices please. I know I'm getting old but seems kinda high given that I supplied the strut assemblies.

Labor - 208.48
Sway bar link kit - 39.99
Front end alignment to reset toe - 69.95
Tax - 2.40
Total = 320.82
Thats cheap

Well the bottom line is if you have a shop that you think is questionable call about 3 other shops and check prices. If a phone call saves you a few hundred dollars go for it.

Think you got off with a very fair price and much cheaper than any Stealership for sure would have charged. I always prefer local and private owned shops since I can not do much of my own work anymore. Yeah. Real fair charges I think to do the work and 4 wheel alignment after. I always had to remind my dad when he would flip and complain about costs of things.... "Dad, these people dont work for free, they have overhead..... employee wages, insurance" ...... etc

Yesterday I had a local shop that I have used for 20+ years replace my front struts on an 04 Escape. I brought them the preassembled Gabriel Ultra strut assemblies to install. The shop has gone through some management changes in recent years, just need a sanity check on the prices please. I know I'm getting old but seems kinda high given that I supplied the strut assemblies.

Labor - 208.48
Sway bar link kit - 39.99
Front end alignment to reset toe - 69.95
Tax - 2.40
Total = 320.82
Looks like a good deal.

I'm sure the owner retired off the scrap metal :rolleyes:

Back