Disappointed in new quick struts

Good question. Thanks to Hyundai's infinite wisdom there are two specs for the same model. Biggest difference is non-hybrid version has a shorter sway bar link and different mounting point. Would it fit if I replace both struts and sway bar link? Could be an interesting project. On the other hand some posts vaguely mentioned hybrid strut might has a different spring/shock absorber since the front end is hundreds pound heavier due to hybrid components.
Should I take the risk? If it turns out not to be a good fit, RockAuto may deny my return because it's been installed. Tricky!:oops:

P.S. How good is DuraLast quick strut? Are they made by Monroe?

I didn't know that! I didn't know the hybrid's suspension was physically different! :oops:

OP, you learned your lesson. FCS is the cheapest of cheap, but they seem to work. For awhile, kinda sorta. I put some in the rear of an '02 Impreza. Customer was on a budget. I'm not sure how they're holding up.

ANYWAY, next time look into ordering a quality strut replacement. Maybe OEM, maybe Bilstein or KYB or Mando....whatever seems liked in your application. Then explain to your indy that you want to keep your existing springs and pay them the swap the shock portion. If an indy doesn't want to use or doesn't have a decent spring compressor, then they're not your shop. Move on. A good indy will work with you.

I didn't know that! I didn't know the hybrid's suspension was physically different! :oops:
Sorry for my ranting. In fact hybrid version also gets aluminum control arm, compare to regular one which is stamped steel. Giving me a strong feeling that YF platform does not consider hybrid trim in design and engineers have to put patches on the platform to make it work.

I have the opportunity to switch to either Monroe Quick-Strut or Gabriel Ultra ReadyMount. Which do you recommend?

Unfortunately going OEM is no longer an option (multi-month backlog at FCA/Jeep due to supply constraints).

Monroe is better than Gabriel.

Can you order from Rock Auto and bring the parts in? If so, KYB quick struts are available. They also have OEM struts in stock along with the Mopar mounts. You should have the parts within a week.

Did they keep your OE's awaiting your approval of the quick strut or did they just still have 'em around.

Lucky last night wasn't garbage night ? Either way they provide good service.

Did they keep your OE's awaiting your approval of the quick strut or did they just still have 'em around.

Lucky last night wasn't garbage night ? Either way they provide good service.
They hadn't disposed of them yet. So I called them Tuesday night and asked if they still had them laying around, they said yes. Jackpot! lol They put the old ones back on, and refunded me the cost of the new ones. I love my Jeep again!

The passenger side front strut failed on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Given how complex the job is (I watched a few youtube videos), I brought it to a local trusted shop who replaced both it and the driver's side one with a quick strut assembly. Handling has improved. But I hate the ride now. It's so stiff and harsh. I now regret the change so much :( Silly me for not doing my research beforehand.

What should I do now? Live with it?
Presumably its harsher because it's new? It might be more to your liking after a while.

I haven't been on in a long while, but saw this... FCS are your budget struts and shocks, designed to be a fix for an older vehicle.

I used them on old Ford Tauruses and the like because no one buying those is going to pick up Ford OEM parts for a 15 year old car with rusted out rocker panels. They just want it to get by.

Not sure if your mechanic saw it that way or just got those because they are inexpensive and he's used them before.

I have a pair of the shocks on the back of the Charger in my signature. They work well and were a fraction of the $250/per side for Nivomat replacements. For me, it's a car I use (occasionally, since the Mini is my go to nowadays for its fuel mileage and fun factor) and it doesn't need the originals since it's not doing police work. And, to be honest, those cheap FCS rear shocks made that car a smooth ride for long distance drives, combined with the Michelins I put on for warm weather use.

I suggest to let them settle and wear in a bit before spending even more money to fix it. They might just be OK.

My two cents. :cool:

Back