Disappointed in new quick struts

The passenger side front strut failed on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Given how complex the job is (I watched a few youtube videos), I brought it to a local trusted shop who replaced both it and the driver's side one with a quick strut assembly. Handling has improved. But I hate the ride now. It's so stiff and harsh. I now regret the change so much :( Silly me for not doing my research beforehand.

What should I do now? Live with it?

Quik Struts have a bad reputation for not lasting.
With Struts I prefer to go OEM only as the more expensive initial price pays for itself by not having to revisit the job anytime soon with OEM parts.

A reality is that vehicle makers often use different springs for the same vehicle. Ever notice the paint marks on coil springs? One model with a different trim package might have a 1 MM thicker coil or something. Quick struts are a "one size fits all" solution. I don't care if Honda or whoever offers them.

FCS is cheap Chinese garbage :sneaky:

Should've gone with Monroe or KYB quick struts. Or, if you don't like quick struts, Bilstein 4600 shocks and new OEM Mopar mounts, which are actually a fair price.

Oh well, see how long the FCS struts last anyway.

When I did struts on my 14 Mustang a few months ago, I built my own quick struts. I ordered the Bilstein dampers with GT-500 mounts. Then ordered new coil springs and isolators. When they were all in I waited until the first wholesale customer called that is more of a suspension shop and asked if they could assemble them for me. $100 later I had assembled struts and then I just swapped them out in my driveway.

We were going to do them here, but the spring compressor slipped a bit and I decided I would rather pay than risk limb(s) or phalanges.

FCS is cheap Chinese garbage :sneaky:

Should've gone with Monroe or KYB quick struts. Or, if you don't like quick struts, Bilstein 4600 shocks and new OEM Mopar mounts, which are actually a fair price.

Oh well, see how long the FCS struts last anyway.
Now I know :( I feel like a fool. Didn't know any better at the time and needed them done ASAP. I had called my local Jeep dealer and they were asking for 2 arms, a kidney and a newborn baby to replace the 2 struts with OEM Mopar. Couldn't afford that.

I guess I live with them (or until they blow up lol)

Do you also have a Carolina lean now? Ride height can be an issue with some of these.
Height is the same as before as far as I can tell. No lean front/back or side to side. Handling has actually improved vs what I had before. More responsive in corners especially. But...rides super harsh.

Now I know :( I feel like a fool. Didn't know any better at the time and needed them done ASAP. I had called my local Jeep dealer and they were asking for 2 arms, a kidney and a newborn baby to replace the 2 struts with OEM Mopar. Couldn't afford that.

I guess I live with them (or until they blow up lol)
Don't beat yourself up too much. My old Corolla needed struts. I'm scared to use a spring compressor so I bought Monroe ready struts for the front and Gabriel ready struts for the rear. Had to return/replace three of the front struts due to noise or defective assembly and the rear struts squeaked whenever the temperature dipped below 40F.

Height is the same as before as far as I can tell. No lean front/back or side to side. Handling has actually improved vs what I had before. More responsive in corners especially. But...rides super harsh.
Probably the upper mount is too stiff? I didn't really think about them until I put kyb quick struts in my Focus and the upper mounts were soft enough you could see them move slightly just pushing the car up and down by hand. And they smoothed out little steps in pavement amazingly well. For me anyways, KYB has always worked out well, so that's as cheap and expensive as I go....

I put a set of Mando quick struts into our Chevy Traverse and they work well, no complaints on them. Rockauto website claims they are a Tier One Original Equipment Manufacturer for Hyundai, KIA, and others. Made in south Korea.
In the past I've used KYB with good results and would use both KYB and Mando products again.

Back