Need Help / Advice re Rear Strut Installation

I'm having an issue completing the installation of new rear struts on my car.

Car is a 2006 Ford Five Hundred (basically the same vehicle as a Mercury Montego, and 2008-2009 Ford Taurus; Probably similar to a Ford Freestyle / Taurus X as well).

Anyway, this rear strut design is a major PITA. I opted to replace the rear struts with new Quick Struts, as the rear springs were sagging. But, to do this job, you have to lower the rear subframe, or the strut mounts won't clear the subframe and you can't remove the strut assembly.

So I followed this video. Had to lower the rear subframe on the bolts, on both sides of the car to get the old strut out. It is a PITA, but I got the old one out on the left side, and the new one installed (haven't touched the right side yet).

I have everything back together now, except, the front, rear lower control arm. It is about 1/2 an inch too short now, and I can't connect it to the knuckle (see video---this is not my video, but you'll see the control arm and the procedure).

Did this control arm magically shrink somehow?!?! What did I do wrong???

CONTROL ARM I am referring to is show at 2:07 mark in the video

Last edited:
Is the sway bar putting tension on anything? Did anything pop when you pulled the fasteners? What happens if you loosen but don't remove a bunch of bolts, particularly those going through bushings?

Is the sway bar putting tension on anything? Did anything pop when you pulled the fasteners? What happens if you loosen but don't remove a bunch of bolts, particularly those going through bushings?
I did the standard thing if installing all the bolts somewhat loose.

I've taken everything apart, and tried putting it back together. No luck.

Could the subframe have moved slightly when I lowered it? I didn't remove the subframe bolts all the way, just lowered it like in the video. But I really don't know if these subframes could shift half an inch or so

Are you sure the struts are the right part number?

Based on what i think you are describing i would probably put a jack under the strut and see if LIGHT pressure got my 1/2 back.

Are you sure the struts are the right part number?

Based on what i think you are describing i would probably put a jack under the strut and see if LIGHT pressure got my 1/2 back.

So, I originally tried a Gabriel Ready Strut. The fitment issue happened.

So after messing with it for too long, I just decided it could be a defect with the Gabriel assembly.

So I ran to O'Reilly's and bought their house brand and put that in... But alas, same issue.

I'll try your idea of the jack tonight.

Back