Front strut replacement charge check

Yesterday I had a local shop that I have used for 20+ years replace my front struts on an 04 Escape. I brought them the preassembled Gabriel Ultra strut assemblies to install. The shop has gone through some management changes in recent years, just need a sanity check on the prices please. I know I'm getting old but seems kinda high given that I supplied the strut assemblies.

Labor - 208.48
Sway bar link kit - 39.99
Front end alignment to reset toe - 69.95
Tax - 2.40
Total = 320.82

Cheap, honestly. They aren't charging you for fighting the end links and they also aren't making any money off the parts.

The alignment should include camber, too, as that can get messed up with when doing struts. If the design is how I imagine a little camber will change a lot of toe. But that alignment price is straight out of 2003.

Yesterday I had a local shop that I have used for 20+ years replace my front struts on an 04 Escape. I brought them the preassembled Gabriel Ultra strut assemblies to install. The shop has gone through some management changes in recent years, just need a sanity check on the prices please. I know I'm getting old but seems kinda high given that I supplied the strut assemblies.

Labor - 208.48
Tax - 2.40
Total = 320.82
Much less expensive than what it would cost here in the Metro Detroit area. Our hourly rate is $140, and we would not install your supplied parts :)

PXL_20230815_163952605.jpg

Cheap, honestly. They aren't charging you for fighting the end links and they also aren't making any money off the parts.

The alignment should include camber, too, as that can get messed up with when doing struts. If the design is how I imagine a little camber will change a lot of toe. But that alignment price is straight out of 2003.
They have a nice machine, they checked all of it and gave me the printout sheet, only the toe needed to be adjusted.

Well I got ripped off big time. I paid $1400.00 for new struts for my Honda Civic and another $1400.00 for the Jeep in the last 12 months. Needless to say I am finding a new garage to repair my vehicles.
Dang, my parts were 245.51 to my door from RA.
I'm sure the labor charge isn't the same on each vehicle.

Dang, my parts were 245.51 to my door from RA.
I'm sure the labor charge isn't the same on each vehicle.
On the Jeep it was struts only and they said it was about a 7 or 8 hour job. On the Honda they charged me $376 for each strut and they did put in a ball joint or something. Either way I am not going back to that place.

Labor - 208.48
Tax - 2.40
Total = 320.82
Holy cow - you think that's lot for a mac strut front end? Maybe 2 hours of labor? Also keep in mind you took any profit on parts from them by supplying your own stuff....nice that they even do that.

I wouldn't argue with any of that. $70 for an alignment? I'd question the accuracy/skill level of the tech. A GOOD 4-wheel alignment today should be about $100-125. An alignment machine can cost $75k and it's not an $8/hour position.

Holy cow - you think that's lot for a mac strut front end? Maybe 2 hours of labor? Also keep in mind you took any profit on parts from them by supplying your own stuff....nice that they even do that.
I didn't "take" anything from them. They are a repair shop, not a parts dealer. If there is a warranty problem, then I pay them again. I'll take that risk.

Well I got ripped off big time. I paid $1400.00 for new struts for my Honda Civic and another $1400.00 for the Jeep in the last 12 months. Needless to say I am finding a new garage to repair my vehicles.

I recently did all 4 corners (struts) on my daughter's 2008 CR-V. I used cheap, chinese struts from 1A Auto. $400. I messed up one sway bar end link, had to run to Autozone to get a pair (used only one), $35 plus time. Took me 2-1/2 hours to do the first one, including running to the parts store (front right). Took me 23 minutes to do the driver's front. Took me 80 minutes to do the driver's rear (took forever to figure out the retaining hook thing... ). Took me 40 minutes to do the passenger rear. All in all, over 6 hours (my first time), $450 in parts, shop supplies, etc. and then $100 for an alignment. Take that for what you want. I'm no green DIY Driveway mechanic, I have lots of specialty tools, etc. When a shop charges you for an hour of labor at $125, they have a lift, pay a tech $40-50/hour plus benefits, overhead, etc. The tech is 15 minutes down by the time he's got the car on the lift between reading the work order, going and getting the car, positioning it on the lift and getting the wheels off.

Back